Throughly fed-up with Facebook

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Throughly fed-up with Facebook

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:But I don't think your example detracts from what I'm saying. In a world where we are edging towards everybody having an online reputation, your friend has marked himself out as a delinquent. At the moment there's no downside to not being registered for facebook or even being barred - it may not always be so. And like so many blacklists, the person may not even realise why they are being rejected for things.

A few years ago we interviewed a guy for a technical programming role, the guy interviewed badly but once he'd left a bit of digging around the web showed him to have done some good work, we hired him and stuck him in a dark corner where he wouldn't need to interact with other humans. He's since done some class stuff on our core engines (as long as you don't spook him by saying hello in the corridors).

We routinely trawl the web for information, programmers usually have contributions to various stuff, online CV's and examples of their work, artists usually have online portfolios and designers often hang around certain sorts of chat rooms (which can be very revealing ;-) ). Where no online presence is available whilst we don't count it against anyone the question "why" is usually asked...
I do work in a geeky industry though so I doubt your average job seeker need worry.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kwackers wrote:... I doubt your average job seeker need worry.

Not just yet. Wait till somebody comes up with a program so anybody can do it. Of course, they do say that if you've nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about. :mrgreen:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Like everything it is a tool and needs to used carefully.

A colleague has written some allegations about her ex on FB. Not something I wished to get involved in or comment on not knowing the truth. Same coleagues was also quite out spoken about finishing late from another shift at "the hellhole", again not something that was very sensible IMO.

This is probably why a lot of stuff is fairly bland, ie chit chat about shopping trips, the BBQ and what is happening on holidays/trips.days off etc.

It does surprise just how many people put pictures of their offspring on the internet/FB considering all the fuss re-paedophiles and the net. When I took photos of an artwork snowman this winter, the child who had helped construct it was in the picture, I never included in the pix I uploaded as I did not feel it was my place to do so.

Another coleague sent an invite to join a group that was basically to do with being proud to be English. Description of the group started off OK, until it turned into a rant against anyone/anything non-English, "Paki" bashing (quotation) and how brave our soldiers are by protecting us from Afghani invasion(?).
In fact it was so vile I reported it.

As with any tool we work with (ladders, knives, drills, saws etc., we should take sensible safety precautions so we should accept that the net is a tool that can be dangerous and be careful what is said.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I have enough trouble keeping up with the things I have to do on this computer without adding to them......I've just gone digital for work photography and as I suspected it will mean more dismal hours sorting files out. At least with film I could just chuck it at my processor and then store the negs in shoe boxes.
These computers are taking my life over- if I didn't have to deal with them I'd have the time to actually do my real job; the job I love- instead of doing lousy admin on the computer. :evil: So FB ain't for me either.
mark_w

Post by mark_w »

Facebook is just a tool. If you want to communicate with people it's great. However, it can be just another method of keeping up with the joneses sometimes. 'So and So has an iPad'. 'So and So is eating Veal for tea'.

Although I'd probably get shouted at for posting cycling related stuff on my status too much as my Garmin feeds my status updates when I upload a ride!

Now I just tend to tend my blog. If people want to read inane drivel about me they can read it there, but at least it's not force fed onto people like Facebook (I couldn't think of anything worse!!)
--------
Blog : My Bike Rides
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

Flinders wrote:At least with film I could just chuck it at my processor and then store the negs in shoe boxes.

You can just hand your memory card over to Boots and come back later for prints, or better still upload them to Snapfish or something and get the prints in the post. I find it much less hassle to plug the camera into the computer and upload the files than to drag myself out into the real world to give a roll of film to a shop, or find a postbox, and it has the added bonus that the pictures are stored safe on the internet, so even if my shoebox were to catch fire, I wouldn't lose my pictures.

I'm not overly worried about privacy, my pictures aren't usually that interesting, and there are billions upon billions of them out there - who'd be interested in mine?
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
mark_w

Post by mark_w »

In this world of digital photography, I use MobileMe for stuff that I want other people to see, but I'm always aware that if my house were to be burgled, laptop crashed, or house burn down, all the photos would disappear. I do use the Apple photo book service for special photos and presents for the folks.

But instead of only having one copy - I can do something I couldn't do with Negs - I have a second external Hard Disk that I store at my parents house (but could easily be anyone's house who I know would look after it and I see fairly regularly) and I take a copy of the iPhoto database or Aperture database onto this external disk just in case. Offsite backup if you will. I also have one at home too and use Time Machine to archive the whole machine weekly.

Of course, if I could get 70Gb worth of storage somewhere online in the cloud securely I'd put it there, but 70Gb would take weeks to upload with my broadband line :(
--------
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mark_w wrote:In this world of digital photography, I use MobileMe for stuff that I want other people to see, but I'm always aware that if my house were to be burgled, laptop crashed, or house burn down, all the photos would disappear.
We have a dozen or more photo albums in a box in the loft, charting our lives. Some of the photos go back a few generations. If our house burnt down, they would burn too.

Photographs would be the least of our worries!
Mick F. Cornwall
mark_w

Post by mark_w »

Mick F wrote:
mark_w wrote:In this world of digital photography, I use MobileMe for stuff that I want other people to see, but I'm always aware that if my house were to be burgled, laptop crashed, or house burn down, all the photos would disappear.
We have a dozen or more photo albums in a box in the loft, charting our lives. Some of the photos go back a few generations. If our house burnt down, they would burn too.

Photographs would be the least of our worries!

True :)

One of the nice things of cloud storage (like mobileme) is that I have a Zip file containing photos of all the items of any insurance worth in my house, along with scanned copies of all our insurance and documentation. Meaning if the house burns down I only have to spark up my iPhone and I have all the PDF's of all our key documents. Don't have much else that would be worth saving - as long as my wife and kids were OK then a house can be rebuilt.
--------
swagman

Post by swagman »

The microchip only has a working life of
25 years so i know what will happen to all that data. :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

glueman wrote:The whole Facebook/Twitter thing leaves me cold, if not slightly alarmed. I can see the value in a good Blog but life is for living, not anally retaining or regurgitating.

Only slightly alarmed? It has bells, hooters,two tones,and that alarm toward the end of Guns of Navarone,sounding with increasing volume for me,
Nutters the lot of them!

PS Tweet? I'd rather buy a Voovoozela and do a proper job! :D
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

reohn2 wrote:
glueman wrote:The whole Facebook/Twitter thing leaves me cold, if not slightly alarmed. I can see the value in a good Blog but life is for living, not anally retaining or regurgitating.

Only slightly alarmed? It has bells, hooters,two tones,and that alarm toward the end of Guns of Navarone,sounding with increasing volume for me,
Nutters the lot of them!

Interesting point of view from glueman and reohn2 who spend time in the 'tea shop' :?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Millhouse wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Nutters the lot of them!

Interesting point of view from glueman and reohn2 who spend time in the 'tea shop' :?

They're of a "certain age"....
:wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My trouble is I've reached an uncertain age. :(