Bikes. Why bother?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Bikes. Why bother?

Post by Mick F »

I've just got back from the Town, having done a spot of shopping. I've come back hot, sweaty, wet, tired and hungry.

Before I left home I had to make sure the tyres were ok, get dressed up in lycra, goretex, dinky white socks, silly shoes I can't walk in, put on a stupid helmet and silly little gloves.

I got soaked in a downpour, intimidated by motor vehicles of all shapes and sizes and struggled against the wind and the long hills.

Why do I bother? I could have just gone out and started the car and left it running out on the drive for 10 minutes to get the heater nice and hot and the windows demisted. I could have driven the 5 miles each way in complete luxury, letting the gas guzzling engine do the work. I could have put iron Maiden on the CD player, or even listened to Ken Bruce on Radio 2!

It only costs £2.60 to park the car, cheap enough isn't it? Petrol doesn't cost that much really.

I think I'm going to jack this cycling thing in. It's too tiring, and I look silly. I'll sell all my stuff on ebay - bike, gear, spares - the lot. I've had enough.

Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Only kidding !!!! Hee Hee

Mick F. Cornwall
jb

Post by jb »

Many a true word said in jest.

You have to be a masochist or broke to like riding a bike in this county in winter.

Were off for a quick pummelling by the wind on tonight’s ride.

“Oh the pain the pain the glorious pain
give me lots of wind and plenty of rain”

:)
Cheers
J Bro
hubgearfreak

Re: Bikes. Why bother?

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mick F wrote:Petrol doesn't cost that much really.

peak oil will be in a couple of years. then that'll change.

glad you're joking....now enjoy some cake and beer to make up for the calories burnt :D
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Mick - there is a lot in this. I'm fortunate in being able to use public transport on those occasions I just don't feel like it, but, if you're out in the sticks, the temptation is always there, and morality is not always sufficient motivation. Time to sell the car?
Dai

Post by Dai »

I'm lucky, our only vehicle is my darling girl's company car so once she's gone to sell medical things to medics I have no choice but to ride the bike. Saying that she was away on conference last week - I had the car and completely ignored it. Habits, once formed, die hard - or should that be Dai Hard (thought I'd put that in before my learned friend Whoops do it for me).

You had me going though Mick - for about one tenth of a second.
David

Post by David »

Mick, what you need is a cape and a primus stove. It'll keep you warm and dry. Ditch the lycra and get a sou-wester and a pair of wellies, much easier to walk in :-)
Si

Post by Si »

David wrote:Mick, what you need is a cape and a primus stove.

That's how the Montgolfier brothers started :D
Dai

Post by Dai »

Si wrote:
David wrote:Mick, what you need is a cape and a primus stove.

That's how the Montgolfier brothers started :D

Yep - and their business ballooned
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

Phew.... I thought you were serious. What would you do next.... an E2E in a car????!!!!!! That would be a real bore, sure it would be warm, comfortable, more warm, and more comfortable.... but

(notice I'm not using the word enjoyable and worthwhile?!!!)

Long live the cycle, and the cyclist
JamesAC

Post by JamesAC »

put iron Maiden on the CD player, or even listened to Ken Bruce on Radio 2!

now that's really worrying!!

James