New generation of electric bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

Re: New generation of electric bikes

Post by Edwards »

The Gadget Show did a feature about an electric assist fitted to a road bike. The motor was fitted in the front hub with the battery in the bottle cage (I think). The review was quite good with the cost was not that high if I remember right.
As motors and batteries improve and the cost comes down I feel a lot of people will think it a good way to exercise. A bit like the Americans exercising with the Segway. They may not be getting the best of exercise but a least getting some. Maybe just conning themselves I do not know, but at least with electric assist you do have to do some work not just stand still.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

glueman wrote:
kwackers wrote: ...and a quick re-think owing to road fund licence dividends dropping.

That shouldn't make any difference. The Road Fund has been empty for the last 64 years :roll:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Anura

Post by Anura »

I know at least 3 people who are what you might on here call committed cyclists, who live in hilly areas and use their electric bikes for commuting and during the course of their work, meaning they can cover greater distances within given times, when time is at a limit getting from workplace to workplace. Another one has bad knee trouble, which enables him to carry on cycling, whereas he probably would just give up.

I live in a flat area and had always thought I wouldn't have one but I think if it enabled me to get out and about on a bike, I would definitely use one.
sam

Post by sam »

My wife has worked her way through a few electric bikes - this was her last one. She's fit but not really that much into cycling, and too tired at the end of the day to be an enthusiastic peddler. We don't have a car and live about 2 miles from the station, which doesn't sound like much, but it's just steep enough to be unpleasant on the return. She is the perfect market for such a bike, but refuses to spend any more money on them.