...how to....?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
eileithyia

...how to....?

Post by eileithyia »

or at least where to go to convert a video recording to DVD?
Many thanks
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rbrian

Re: ...how to....?

Post by rbrian »

There are places you can send them, you can buy a machine with both VHS and DVD slots, or (cheapest) you can buy a TV tuner card or USB stick for your computer, which will probably come with PVR (Personal Video Recorder, like Sky+) software, or download something free from the web, and then burn it using the built-in DVD burner on your computer. I've been planning to do this for some time, to get rid of my stack of VHS tapes, but I haven't got round to it, so I can't offer you specific advice.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

What kind of video recording? Camcorder? VHS? Digital camera?

http://forum.doom9.org/ is the place to go, generally.

Or http://forums.afterdawn.com/
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Might be worth asking around at some of the small computer companies that seem to be all over the place these days.
Some round our way offer the service.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
hondated

Post by hondated »

eileithiya if you are thinking of buying a VHS - DVD recorder make sure that it is easy to operate because I have one and so does my friend and neither of us have managed to transfer what we want onto DVD yet and we have had them for years.
Just do not want you to make the same mistake that we have.
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

Connect the SCART or other video outputs from the VCR to the auxiliary inputs on the DVD recorder. Play the tape and record it onto DVD. Surely you can't work shifts without possessing a digital recorder?
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

SilverBadge wrote:Surely you can't work shifts without possessing a digital recorder?

You're not wrong! I bypassed DVD recorders though, didn't see what they offered over VHS. I went straight to hard disc recorders, that's the way forward. I don't suppose I ever will put my VHS tapes onto DVD, I'll just store them on a hard disc and either play it on the laptop, or stream it to my Playstation and watch it on the big TV.

Can I ask, eileithyia, what it is you want to transfer, and why? If it's old family videos, for example, you might be better off posting it to YouTube (videos don't have to be public, you can restrict viewing to your friend list). That way you can just email the link to your family, and save on postage.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well it gets complicated, have a DVD player but it is not a recordable one.
When I came into the TV viewing public I was given a video so I could record stages of the grand tours, but now both this and Phil's Video player seem to have given up the ghost.

We now have sky hd so recording programmes is not a problem regardless of shifts (finding time to watch it all is a different matter).

But have a couple of old VHS vids we do not want to throw out, yes having a clear-out prep to having some building work done....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Just take them along to your nearest Jessops store, they can do it for you, or get a friend or someone with a dvd recorder and vhs player to do it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

If all else fails I could do it for you (but I'm about 30 miles from you).
Should it be any use feel free to send me a PM.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think that if it's a commercially made video, then companies who do the copying as a business won't copy it, for copyright reasons.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

Some of them won't record via scart either, because of some sort of copy protection. I'm not sure how it works, but RF should be ok. I still think digital is the way to go - how long before all those DVDs start cluttering up the place? It's already started, and I still have VHS!
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

I am not familiar with the Sky recorder but on my hard drive recorder I can record the AV channels on the TV. So I can play a video on say AV1 and set the recorder to tape AV1. This is not exactly what you want but it may enable you to transfer them to disc at a later date when you can borrow a disc recorder.
The Only Cyclist In The Village
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

rbrian wrote:Some of them won't record via scart either, because of some sort of copy protection. I'm not sure how it works, but RF should be ok. I still think digital is the way to go - how long before all those DVDs start cluttering up the place? It's already started, and I still have VHS!

My DVD's are all on my server, all 6Tb of them!

The copy protection is usually macrovision which is essentially just a modulated frame sync value (the value of the frame sync sets the recording 'level'). It's fairly easy to override.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

Easy perhaps, but legal? Not that you shouldn't be able to back up stuff you own, so long as you don't sell the physical DVDs on - but then you have to store them, so you don't gain any space, just a little less exercise feeding the DVD player! I have all my CDs in a couple of large wallets, which take up much less space than the crystal cases. DVDs I'll think about later, I should have room for them once I've got rid of my VHS tapes and paper books.