Royal Wedding - does anyone care?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Deckie

Re: Royal Wedding - does anyone care?

Postby Deckie » 19 Nov 2010, 11:57am

There you go - jobs created already! Thanks William, you're bringing a lot of people a bit of happiness when they need it.

Estimate in today's news, this wedding will boost the British economy by £1 billion. I can't see a president managing that...
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com

byegad

Postby byegad » 19 Nov 2010, 1:07pm

BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!

I am sick to death of it now. The gutter press will do their level best to make another 'Diana goddess' out of her and pile on as much pressure as they can. Then act all surprised when it goes wrong.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 19 Nov 2010, 4:54pm

byegad wrote:BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!

I am sick to death of it now. The gutter press will do their level best to make another 'Diana goddess' out of her and pile on as much pressure as they can. Then act all surprised when it goes wrong.

Yep, that about sums it up it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 19 Nov 2010, 5:33pm

As the Prince of Wales delicately put it, they've been practising for long enough. I have neither religious beliefs nor affiliation so it's not really any of my business but I seem to be alone in finding a bit of humbug in a white wedding in a cathedral church with an archbish officiating. (I certainly wish them a long and happy marriage.)

Nutsey

Postby Nutsey » 19 Nov 2010, 6:52pm

If it were up to me, all you naysayers would be denied your paid days holiday (or triple pay), and offered councilling. Its win win for everyone.

Who loses out from this?

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 19 Nov 2010, 8:34pm

Nutsey wrote:If it were up to me, all you naysayers would be denied your paid days holiday (or triple pay), and offered councilling.

and for those hundreds of thousands of self employed, such as those that trim hedges, clean windows & etc, who get neither? :roll:

and as for the suggestion that it's those of us who aren't excited about a royal wedding that need councilling - either you're brilliant at satirical comedy, or i can't be bothered to explain what you are :P

meic

Postby meic » 19 Nov 2010, 9:24pm

Guy951 wrote:
martin biggs wrote:in a word no , unless we get a free day off

In today's Sun "news"paper they are saying we'll get a bank holiday for the occasion. More biketime :D

Probably rain then. :roll:

In that case I would like to show my support for the happy couple by wishing for glorious weather on their wedding day. :lol:
Although I will only be able to see what the weather is like where I am. :wink:
Yma o Hyd

Brian

Postby Brian » 19 Nov 2010, 9:50pm

I hope they will be as happy as I hoped I was going to be. :D

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 20 Nov 2010, 7:26pm

No more interested than in any other young couple, and hope it works out for them just as I would hope the same for anyone else.
If there is any difference, I feel sorry for them as their marriage will be under a lot of pressure as a result of the people who claim to care about them more than I do wanting to read about them in the papers every week. But of course, I also feel sorry for other couples who will be under pressure for financial or other reasons too.

As a self-employed person I won't even get a paid day off. I don't see how it will affect me, TBH, except from the boredom of the news coverage.

Rafferty

Postby Rafferty » 20 Nov 2010, 10:10pm

hubgearfreak wrote:
Nutsey wrote:If it were up to me, all you naysayers would be denied your paid days holiday (or triple pay), and offered councilling.

and for those hundreds of thousands of self employed, such as those that trim hedges, clean windows & etc, who get neither? :roll:

and as for the suggestion that it's those of us who aren't excited about a royal wedding that need councilling - either you're brilliant at satirical comedy, or i can't be bothered to explain what you are :P

I think the correct spelling is 'counselling', and the only ones that need it in my opinion are the fools who believe the so called "royals" mean anything.
They got their position by exploiting the weak, and continue to do so.

I certainly won't be watching the whole preposterous farce on T.V., I won't be buying any keepsakes, and I won't be wishing them all the best.
You laugh at me because I am different,
I laugh at you because you are all the same.

largeallan

Postby largeallan » 20 Nov 2010, 11:15pm

Personally, I'm bored with the whole vomit inducing media coverage already. I wouldn't wish them anything but happiness, as I would anyone else....HOWEVER, I'd abolish the monarchy tomorrow if it were down to me. The very idea of it is an affront to any supposed democracy IMO. On a personal level I'm sure the Royals are perfectly nice people, but the whole concept of someone being born into a position of power is just plain wrong.

drossall

Postby drossall » 20 Nov 2010, 11:46pm

Rafferty wrote:...the fools who believe the so called "royals" mean anything...

:D I'd rather be a fool than be one who just tosses insults at all who disagree with him...

PW

Postby PW » 21 Nov 2010, 2:26am

I'm with LargeAllan. As individuals I wish them well, but the present queen should be the last of the parasites and their money should go to the treasury.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 21 Nov 2010, 10:26am

largeallan wrote:The very idea of it is an affront to any supposed democracy IMO. On a personal level I'm sure the Royals are perfectly nice people, but the whole concept of someone being born into a position of power is just plain wrong.

I care enough to quote the above :D

And also enough to refuse to allow big willies dad into my office/depot several years ago, when he required a photo opportunity with individuals who'd done something for the public good. Surely royal flunkies must be accustomed to being told "No", when seeking an appointment for their boss :?: .

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Nov 2010, 10:53am

gbnz wrote: ... when he required a photo opportunity with individuals who'd done something for the public good. ... .

That's one of the ironies - I'd never thought of the royal family as being publicity hungry. I think that most people who had done something worthy of public recognition would prefer to get the gong or whatever from the queen rather than a politician. Imagine the next-of-kin of somebody receiving a postumous bravery medal having to tolerate crocodile tears from some lying hypocrite. Also, to the extent that the honours system is now so corrupt, I don't think the modern roayal family can be blamed for that, no matter what their ancestors got up to.

If there's anything that gets up my nose in this context, it's people who mock the system but join in and at the top of that list, it's people who accept the honours but then scorn them: Baron Hattersley is Baron Hattersley, ditto Baron Bragg. If they wanted to be Roy and Mel, they should have said so when the invitation came (and then shut up about it.)