Getting annoyed over Facebook

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
AlanD

Getting annoyed over Facebook

Postby AlanD » 29 Nov 2010, 1:58pm

I suppose the answer to this might well be to not use it again. However, it seems to be becoming a dominant means of communication, so perhaps I ought to persevere with it and try to make it work for me.

When I go into Facebook, what I see has certain similarities to one of those roller-towel machines still seen in washrooms i.e. you pull it down a bit, use it and what you have deposited soon disappears as successive users visit it. The parallel with Facebook is with the bit in the middle where people put their words of wisdom, "what's on your mind" I think it's called. What I see is a tediously endless reel of trivial, inconsequential rubbish:

"John and Janet are now friends"
"Mary has won ten million points on virtual whatever"
"Went out last night and got smashed!"
"Peter invites you to buy flowers from his cyber stall"
"Have just finished putting the kids to bed and have now settled down with a drink"
and so on and so on.......

"Who cares!" Mi'lady hears me exclaiming across the room.
I know that there is an option to prevent postings from an individual from appearing, but I don't want to do that in case they may one day send out something important. I had considered sending out a polite all points bulletin asking people to consider the relevance of trivial postings, but Mi'lady told me that this will cause offence to some good people.
It really came to a head last summer when I was trying to get sponsorship for my efforts on the L2B. No sooner had I posted something reminding everyone that there were only so many days to go, please dig deep for a worthy cause; when just like the roller towel, it disappeared off the bottom because of all the verbal 'effluent'. All I could do was to constantly repost it.
I see that this does have the potential to be a really powerful means of communicating quickly, but unfortunately, it is in the hands of those who just seem to abuse it to the point of rendering it useless. Any suggestions?

Tako

Re: Getting annoyed over Facebook

Postby Tako » 29 Nov 2010, 2:05pm

nice rant! I call it faceache. :D

T

Postby T » 29 Nov 2010, 3:01pm

I'm fairly sure there's a law somewhere against using the internet for things that aren't inconsequential rubbish :lol:. However, if you're determined to be serious and reasonable…

What a lot of people seem to do is create a, "Sponsor me for …whatever" group, with info about what they're doing and how to donate, and invite all their friends. That way it's slightly more persistent, in that the invitation will hang around until they either join or decline to join. Also if people are interested in your cause and join your group, then it will keep popping up on people's news feeds as, "Fred, Dave and 2 other friends joined the group, "Sponsor me for blah". I think you can also message group members/invitees to badger them, though some might find that a tad too annoying.

groveller

Postby groveller » 29 Nov 2010, 3:08pm

In our house its known as FARCEBOOK.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Nov 2010, 4:36pm

Mrs Mick F spends a lot of time in Farmtown but she keeps in touch with family and friends through FaceBook quite well.

Me, I'd rather email.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 Nov 2010, 6:15pm

I've never been on it,my life is richer for that. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------

lisap

Postby lisap » 29 Nov 2010, 6:29pm

Never been on Facebook, don't own a mobile phone, never played a Wii or similar, never used You Tube but have watched a few cycling clips, don't have a DVD player, an MP3 or one of those annoying Ipod thingies.

Sometimes I think I am a luddite and my sister thinks I am a hermit but my life hasn't suffered for not having/using these must have items.

Small confession though, I am thinking of getting a Kindle to take on tour rather than buying books and having to carry them.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 29 Nov 2010, 6:44pm

Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

ellis rowell

Postby ellis rowell » 27 Jan 2011, 8:25pm

lisap wrote:
Small confession though, I am thinking of getting a Kindle to take on tour rather than buying books and having to carry them.

I would recommend it, I have got one this week and am in the process of making it work for me. The main thing to remember is that it is not a computer, it is a reader. The downloadable books are in it's own format, but .pdf's can be very useful. I have some scanned maps (.jpg) on my computer. I loaded them onto the screen, then "Print to File" (as .pdf). connect the Kindle with the USB cable, drag and drop the .pdf file into Kindle/documents and you can then view your map on the Kindle (only in greyscale though).

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Jan 2011, 8:38pm

iandriver wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bnq9_hSu4s

:D

That about sums it up. :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 27 Jan 2011, 9:01pm

lisap wrote:Never been on Facebook, don't own a mobile phone, never played a Wii or similar, never used You Tube but have watched a few cycling clips, don't have a DVD player, an MP3 or one of those annoying Ipod thingies.

Sometimes I think I am a luddite and my sister thinks I am a hermit but my life hasn't suffered for not having/using these must have items.

Well I have got a mobile phone and I did once try Facebook. after that you n me together, I thought I was an only :wink: I couldn't tell you who was in the top 20 never mind the top 10. Am I botherd definatly not. The only thing I know about tennis is it's 22yds between the goals :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 27 Jan 2011, 10:05pm

I am still trying to figure out what Facebook is for? Facebook seemed to be utter babble/smug people grandstanding themselves, and all sorts of people who I just know and are not actually my friends inviting me to be friends. So if you want to say something to your real friends you can't, because they are not actually on it. I dumped it after a couple of months.

Saw a picture of some woman that walked straight into a fountain texting on her mobile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYY_ep5Nh0 . Walking along almost every young woman you see either has a phone clamped to their ear or is staring at their mobile, some presumably looking at Facebook. Are they afraid of being alone?

I guess its for kids like my grandson that never does anything constructive at all but glues himself at every available moment to some electronic gadget or other.

I have decided that I am probably just a miserable old git out of touch with a new emerging (and IMO a very sad new world) where a lot of people dont actually do anything any more. You can see it in neglected gardens, interiors of houses that look like tips, and a welter of white van men paid to do what us old uns always did and do ourselves.

Phsychologist reckon the best things you can get out of life are experiences, why do people waste their lives on such junk?

Sad :?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 27 Jan 2011, 10:16pm

al_yrpal wrote:Phsychologist reckon the best things you can get out of life are experiences, why do people waste their lives on such junk?

Al

What's different about using this forum?

Facebook is just a collection of people who *you've* chosen (or accepted) for some reason. Beyond that you can simply post stuff just like on here...
As far as I can tell it's just a small version of the web, for every interest you have there are groups, or you can create one. Those groups can be a means of disseminating information for general consumption in exactly the same way as this forum.

Facebook is really just a collection of tools with a means to group people, with that in mind I think fundamentally Facebook is whatever you want it to be.

Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Postby Neil Fat Man On A Bike » 27 Jan 2011, 10:55pm

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Phsychologist reckon the best things you can get out of life are experiences, why do people waste their lives on such junk?

Al

What's different about using this forum?

Facebook is just a collection of people who *you've* chosen (or accepted) for some reason. Beyond that you can simply post stuff just like on here...
As far as I can tell it's just a small version of the web, for every interest you have there are groups, or you can create one. Those groups can be a means of disseminating information for general consumption in exactly the same way as this forum.

Facebook is really just a collection of tools with a means to group people, with that in mind I think fundamentally Facebook is whatever you want it to be.

Wow.......I agree with Kwackers !
Spot on fella

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 28 Jan 2011, 10:20am

Too much junk, but you can stop alot of it by clicking the cross that appears if you put the cursor over the post, that'll allow you to ignore all the Ville applications etc...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.