Tracks in the snow

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Tracks in the snow

Post by Mick F »

DeerTracks.jpg
Saw these this morning. We have lots of deer round here, so it's not surprising they leave tracks in the snow.

Earlier on, I was looking at rabbit tracks on the drive, and I followed our cat's tracks out of the gate and along the road to the pub! He's asleep on our bed now, sleeping off his hangover?
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Re: Tracks in the snow

Post by toontra »

He's obviously been studying your habits, Mick. My cat used to follow me to the pub and sit on a bar stool until I left, then follow me home again. He was more like a dog in many ways.
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

I'm disappointed to look into this thread, I thought Mick was going to treat us to some poetry but I guess I can't complain about a nice photograph.

Buck, a big buck I saw not long ago, he had well developed antlers, maybe the best I had ever seen in the wild.

I was out in a park and this gentleman had some maize, he put it on the ground and though the deer out there were real timid, once we all stood away, they seemed to smell it came up upon the maize, a female and her doe. I saw deer cross a frozen stream, they bend their legs outward. I also went and read on where deer sleep, one source said they don't sleep in the same place more than one or two times and basically press the bushes down for bedding. So, if you ever have some spare maize, see how a deer likes it.
cyclingthelakes

I did a bit of research recently on deer so please forgive a bit of meandering here, among the biggest types of deer ever were Irish Elk, they were almost 7 feet tall at the shoulders alone!! Can you imagine that! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Elk The biggest kind of deer presently are in fact, Moose. I never would have known Moose were a kind of deer. The Arabic word for Deer is basically Gazelle I found out. Deer to me remind me a lot of horses. Not sure if the two are related as I understand dogs are actually somewhat related to bear.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Moose are the same as Reindeer. Same species, different countries.
Seems a bit "seasonal" to talk about them!

We have Roe round here, and Reds too. We see them in the garden and up in the woods, but quite often they wander up and down the local lanes. I was driving up the hill a year or so ago an one jumped down off one hedge bank to the other only inches away from my bonnet. Both it and I were lucky.
Mick F. Cornwall
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Mick F wrote:Moose are the same as Reindeer. Same species, different countries.
Seems a bit "seasonal" to talk about them!

You're mixing up your caribou with moose
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oops!
Yes, you're right.

:oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a moose loose aboot this hoose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xci9RZBwjdo
Mick F. Cornwall
cyclingthelakes

There's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

Good song at youtube. Great music from that era.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

We had hedgehog tracks in the snow last week.
I wouldn't have known but we actually saw it. (in the dark but lit by the garage light.).
I thought they hibernated but this one was very lively even though the temperatue was about zero centigrade..
It had wandered to the bird table area so perhaps hoping to find a scrap of birdfood. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I heard a bit of hedgehog info a while back.

We don't see hedgehogs at all. Never.
However, they are seen further into the village.
We have hundreds of slugs, and hedgehogs eat slugs, so why don't we see hedgehogs?
It's because we have hundreds of badgers.
Badgers eat hedgehogs, but don't eat slugs.

Makes sense.
Mick F. Cornwall
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

Seen a few interesting ones here, and some pretty obvious ones too,
Stoat, Fox, Red Deer, Rabbit, Sheep, Swan(bit of a leap of faith), Goose,Grouse(orange poo !?) and of course Chunky "Fat" Cats and Ifor "daft" Labs.
Not spotted otter tracks yet, might have to go have a peek in their general direction.
What I'd like to see, is the wildcat tracks I saw this summer (or rather, I'd like to see the cat, not just it's tracks).

No hedgehogs here :(
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

Part of my daily commute takes me along a canal tow path. The canal has been frozen for a while now with a dusting of snow. There are lots of tracks on the frozen surface which I assume are fox prints. I wonder at what point they realise they can tread on it safely.
The Only Cyclist In The Village