Illiteracy in the media

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mrs Tortoise

Illiteracy in the media

Postby Mrs Tortoise » 27 Dec 2010, 9:42am

I don't claim to be the world's greatest expert on grammar and spelling, but the reliance on spell-checkers, shows how inadequate a large number of people are in terms of literacy. This is perhaps to be expected on the internet where people write things and don't check them, but supposed professional writers should know better. On the main CTC homepage, there is a section of bits from the media relating to cycling. Policing Today talks about Police peddling their way to fitness. I know it's about coppers buying bikes for coppers, and homophones aren't detected by spellcheckers, but why doesn't this person know the difference between peddling one's wares and wearing one's pedals? :roll:

georgew

Re: Illiteracy in the media

Postby georgew » 27 Dec 2010, 9:48am

At the risk of being labelled an ancient fuddyduddy, I have to agree. Even the National newspapers are guilty of this and I wonder if they employ Sub-editors these days.

xpc316e

Postby xpc316e » 27 Dec 2010, 10:15am

+1

The BBC drives me mad these days with reporters constantly saying things like 'a group of miners have been trapped underground' - it's one group so it takes the singular form of the verb 'has'. Surely most of these media people have had some sort of basic education?
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, and the latest acquisition, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent.

mill4six

Postby mill4six » 27 Dec 2010, 10:19am

When someone does that I assume they are thick and treat their opinions accordingly. I know I'm wrong to do this but it's hard-wired into me and I can't stop myself from doing it. Obviously poor spellers etc can have valuable things to say but I hate reading them! Rain reign rein bare bear bore boar you're your yaw yore, etc.....

irc

Postby irc » 27 Dec 2010, 10:45am

Numerous people at my new workplace use "on route" instead of "en route". Including one with a recent university degree.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

byegad

Postby byegad » 27 Dec 2010, 10:50am

I get annoyed by the seemingly random use of there and their, hear and here and your and you're. Like a previous poster it immediately makes me discount the writer as a moron. While everyone is capable of making a mistake the frequent misuse suggests we really are dumbing down.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

Swallow

Postby Swallow » 27 Dec 2010, 10:53am

The use of the word kids to describe children really gets my goat, even the BBC are at it now
'Kernow bys Vyken'

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Dec 2010, 10:55am

I've been unable to find it, but somewhere on the old forum there is an explanation from me of the difference between a pedlar and a pedaller (I think it's in an exchange between me and ThomasDylan - or the same member with his earlier username) and how a pedalling pedlar would legally be a hawker.

PS - byegad

Different things upset different people. AFAIK 'moron' is now regarded with distaste by people dealing with the subject, along with 'cretin.' Both are relics of earlier times.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Dec 2010, 11:09am

Firstly, welcome back Mrs Tortoise!

Secondly, I hate bad grammar and bad speaking. I'm not God's gift to English, but I do try to be correct. I know the difference between: we're, were, where, weir and there, their, they're and pedal and peddle!

My pet hate is mispronunciation of place names. It's not Glarsgow, it's Glasgow! There isn't an R in it! Also Barth instead of Bath! Don't get me back on the subject of Morewellham ...........
Mick F. Cornwall

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 27 Dec 2010, 11:17am

Isn't it Glazgee?

Apparently the Ah sound that we southerners use is a relic from when it was considered sophisticated to try to sound French. I say either Glarsgow or Glasgow, but I usually pronounce it Ah. I always say Barth and grarss.
I did hear once that the accent closest to old English is the south Essex accent, in which case I claim my right to lecture you all on correct pronunciation.
Last edited by Colin63 on 27 Dec 2010, 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 27 Dec 2010, 11:19am

Swallow wrote:The use of the word kids to describe children really gets my goat, even the BBC are at it now

I agree. They've been at it for a while.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Dec 2010, 11:22am

Whilst I agree with Mrs T regarding a professional's bad spelling,to those who think anyone is a "moron" or "thick" because they can't spell I have only one thing to say,it is you who are the "morons" and "thick" and prejudice.
If theres anything that gets my back up its academically clever people, considering others, who don't use either paper and pen or keyboard and PC regularly as somehow lesser humans than yourselves(which is what you're implying) as the lowest form of prejudice.
Worse than that is to excuse it by claiming its "hardwired" in themselves and claiming they can't help it! You can help it, its called putting you're prejudice to one side and accepting the fact that other people have other talents who could leave you for dead in their own line of work!
If you can't see beyond someones spelling and gammar then God help you!
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 27 Dec 2010, 11:26am

Swallow wrote:The use of the word kids to describe children really gets my goat, even the BBC are at it now

:D :D :D
-----------------------------------------------------------

byegad

Postby byegad » 27 Dec 2010, 11:33am

Thanks for the correction thirdcrank. I was using 'moron' as defined in the common way and not as a technical term. However it did remind my that I also dislike Political Correctness for its attempts to redefine common speech. My sister who lives in Personchester agrees with me. :D
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 27 Dec 2010, 11:33am

reohn2 wrote:... If you can't see beyond someones spelling and gammar then God help you!

Mrs Tortoise is talking about "supposed professional writers."