How do you find thigs that are lost?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

How do you find thigs that are lost?

Post by Mick F »

I've lost something. For my question, it matters not what it is. The mere fact that I haven't seen this thing for a few years, and I know I wouldn't have chucked it out, it must be here somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

I've looked in all the places it should be, I seem to have looked everywhere else too, but to no avail. I've lain awake during the night thinking about where it may be. I can picture it. I know it well. It's here somewhere.

What's the best way of jogging my memory to find out where I've put it??? :?: :?: :?: :?:
Mick F. Cornwall
alicej

Re: How do you find thigs that are lost?

Post by alicej »

From doing a bit of psychology at uni, I remember that when you try to recall something and can't, your brain keeps on working on it in the background, outside your consciousness, for a long time after you stop trying to recall it. This is why someone's name or whatever will often come to you out of the blue long after you tried and failed to remember it (and usually long after it would have been a useful thing to remember!).

Keep trying to remember, at frequent intervals, for maybe a few minutes at a time. Then get on with something else, and the deep dark recesses of your brain will keep working on finding the thing without you having to bother about it. Eventually its location might just come to you in a flash while you're busy thinking about something completely different.

Unless what you've lost are your marbles, which I'm afraid someone just had to say :)
Si

Post by Si »

Hypnotic regression....

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around my eyes, into my eyes, 1, 2, 3, you're under.

Now think back to the last time you saw what was lost...where did you last see it?

When I snap my fingers you will awaken, you will not remember what happened while you were under but you will know where your lost item is, and you will also have an overpowering need to put 32mm+ tyres on all of your bikes, use shimano instead of campag and panniers instead of a trailer.

<snap>
random37

Post by random37 »

:lol:
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

The Twelve Principles
My method is based on what I call the Twelve Principles—a set of precepts designed to lead you directly to any lost object.

The Twelve Principles are:

1. Don’t Look for It
2. It’s Not Lost—You Are
3. Remember the Three C’s
4. It’s Where It’s Supposed to Be
5. Domestic Drift
6. You’re Looking Right at It
7. The Camouflage Effect
8. Think Back
9. Look Once, Look Well
10. The Eureka Zone
11. Tail Thyself
12. It Wasn’t You
horizon

Post by horizon »

First of all you will have to tell us what a "thig" is before we have any idea where it might be.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Domestic Drift:
Many objects do have a designated or customary place where they are kept. But the reality is that they aren’t always returned there. Instead, they are left wherever last used. Such objects have undergone Domestic Drift. They could be anywhere in the house or out in the yard. Relax. Get comfortable. Pour yourself a cup of coffee. Now try to remember. Where were you last using that pliers, or tape measure, or fountain pen? Where did you last have it? Because that’s precisely where it still may be.

Where did I last have it? I don't know. I don't even know when.

Si, your hypnotic trance didn't work. I couldn't see your eyes.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS,
Sorry Typo! :oops:

No wonder I can't find it. It's a thig. I've been looking for a thing.

I'll leave the typo there, it's quite amusing!
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

this could prove to be an interesting thread, because the answer may come that'll help all of us enormously.

but how will i find the thread again to know the answer? it's not like i can put the thread in a safe place (wherever that may be)

i suspect that what happens in my household (and many others) is that me (the man) leaves something out, and the mrs. tidies it away. one day i'm going to find the place where she tidies stuff away to, and find dozens and dozens of of tape measures, swiss arnmy knives, bottle openers, fag lighters screwdrivers & etc.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The answer would be of enormous help to us alkso, we have lost a nunchuk (a device used with the wii) we had it evening of 27th, next day i was cleaning all such items (too many people with colds in the house, but I still caught it), and this device was missing.
We checked behind settee cushions, under settee cushions, under the settee, the rubbish bin............... behind the TV, settee you name it.

We have also lost a water bottle, now we have plenty but this has mixer markings for Phil's energy mix, but at the moment it has disappeared off the face of the earth, we still have it's lid!

I think I did not pay Santa's Elves enough mince pies and brandy so they have been playing..... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
alicej

Post by alicej »

That's odd, we're having a spate of lost hot water bottles here, I've had to resort to using the cat.
PW

Post by PW »

Plumbob on a 6" string. Hold it in one hand and stick the other arm straight out. Set it swinging.
Rotate slowly, when the bob changes from swinging back/front to swinging in circles your other arm is pointing at what you're looking for. Then go somewhere else in the room and do it again. Where the two pointings converge....
I've a mate who's deadly at it.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I ask the wife.
jonty
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have a wife who "tidies" things.

There is no logic to tidying.

I have found missing bike lights filed under computer "because they are electric"

I have sent for my electronic banking details three times and they have never arrived, or rather they had, but been put in the breadbin because that is secure.

So in my house it is not lost, just put somewhere safe and tidy
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

horizon wrote:First of all you will have to tell us what a "thig" is before we have any idea where it might be.

I thik the lost thig that we are lookig for could be the letter "n"