Progress?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Progress?

Post by Si »

So, I've got this old (1970s?) bike that's been very well used as can be seen from the condition of some of the components, I also know a bit of its history and that it's definitly "got some miles in".

I thought that I'd change the old campag crankset for a NOS 8spd shimano 105 that I have knocking around. Just before putting the new one on I thought that I'd weigh both to see how much of a weight saving I'm going to get with the modern one. Result: the old campag one is lighter!

Now, I know that I can wear out a shimano chain ring in a few years, so if I put the new crankset on I'd be replacing rings after a while. But this old campag one has been on the bike for around thirty years and hasn't worn at all (works perfectly with a new chain and cassette).

Conclusion: in thirty years of development the manufacturers have managed to come up with something that weighs more and doesn't last as long!

astonishing is that all about then? :roll:
diapason

Post by diapason »

Don't thay say that 'Campag wears in and Shimano wears out' :lol:

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes Si, I totally agree with you. The modern stuff isn't as good as it's cracked up to be. (I'm sounding like an old fart!)

What with Campag doing away with 'traditional' diameter front mechs, metric BBs, indexed front changing (why index it?), hidden(?) headsets - the list is endless.

My Mercian, made out of steel is light, responsive, good-looking and longlasting. Alu can never compete.

I blame Henry Ford and his 'planned obsolescence'.

Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

50,000mls SHIMANO 105 g/set still going I'm saying nowt!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I prefer the old type 'Artistic' cranks, see here ( large download) :shock:

Modern ones maybe light, but they have no soul.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

WOW !!!

Come on Campag! Get your act together! We want wonderful chainsets!

Mick F. Cornwall