A hommage to Indian Pale Ale

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

A hommage to Indian Pale Ale

Post by Si »

On the few occasions that I allow myself to imbibe of alcoholic beverages, I find indian pale ale to be my tipple of choice. It's not just a glass of disolved sugar that you have to chill to take away the 'orrible taste (lager) and it doesn't taste of weak dish water (many real ale bitters). So why, oh why, is it so hard to find a good pint of india pale ale?

First brewed for export to India and other far off parts of the Empire, moderatly strong in alcohol and high in hops - just what you wants from yer pint.

..and a glass of white wine or fruit based beverage for the ladies..
Guy

Re: A hommage to Indian Pale Ale

Post by Guy »

Si wrote:...and it doesn't taste of weak dish water (many real ale bitters).

You're obviously trying the wrong ones then Si. :P
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a pub or two that Mrs Mick F and me frequent, that serve 'Flowers IPA'. Quite nice with a cheese roll and a bag of crisps. Yum.

Try 'The Union' at Saltash, down below the bridge, painted with a Union Jack.

(By the way, I commented earlier today, that this Forum is great for chatting about lots of things. Push the boundaries through medical complaints, via booze, and on to who knows where!) (Good Beer Guide? Eat your heart out!)

Mick F. Cornwall
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Si wrote:First brewed for export to India and other far off parts of the Empire, moderatly strong in alcohol and high in hops - just what you wants from yer pint.

You might already know the Anchor in Digbeth Si. If not, get yerself down there. Right at the back of the Coach Station.

http://www.the-anchor-inn.fsnet.co.uk/beers.htm

No IPA, but the Anchor Liberty Ale (5.9%) "Incredibly hoppy pale ale from San Francisco" comes pretty close.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Twinnings Earl Grey a proper drink.
Si

Post by Si »

ThomasDylan wrote:
Si wrote:First brewed for export to India and other far off parts of the Empire, moderatly strong in alcohol and high in hops - just what you wants from yer pint.

You might already know the Anchor in Digbeth Si. If not, get yerself down there. Right at the back of the Coach Station.

http://www.the-anchor-inn.fsnet.co.uk/beers.htm

No IPA, but the Anchor Liberty Ale (5.9%) "Incredibly hoppy pale ale from San Francisco" comes pretty close.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll have to stop in next time I'm returning home at lunch time :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

R2,

Tea is, like you say, a proper drink. I like Assam, or English Breakfast. I like a good coffee too. We buy ours from a good shop called Crebers in Tavistock. See http://www.tavistockonline.co.uk/creber.htm

As for beer, we love it. My sister brews beer. See www.jollybrewer.co.uk

Wine's good, but beer and tea are better!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F has interjected........

She say's that tea is awful. She hates it. She only (other than beer, wine and whisky) likes coffee.

She likes a good Costa Rican, strong and black. But these days, with a heart that's in its 50s, takes decaff! (much to her disgruntleness)

Mick F and Mrs Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F has interjected........

She say's that tea is awful. She hates it. She only (other than beer, wine and whisky) likes coffee.

She likes a good Costa Rican, strong and black. But these days, with a heart that's in its 50s, takes decaff! (much to her disgruntleness)

Mick F and Mrs Mick F. Cornwall

Yeah I like a good cup of coffee,as for beer and whiskey well unfortunately i used to be too fond of both,so I chose to carry on living with my wife and went teatotal ten years ago.The best days work I ever did.
Dai

Post by Dai »

I'm virtually tea total too - except on Christmas Day when I have a glass of port.

I like all kinds of tea but plain ordinary breakfast tea is by far the best - ten cups a day at least.

Flask when I'm on the bike.

I'd like to add more but I'm going to make a cuppa.....
Si

Post by Si »

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F has interjected........

She say's that tea is awful. She hates it.

Hear hear, tea is the drink of devil worshipers* and empire builders...

*Well, I've never met a Satanist that didn't drink tea!
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Si,

No satanists here: http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/52/5203/Griffin_Inn/Shustoke

Sort of your neck of the woods. That part of Warwickshire is heaving with good pubs...
Si

Post by Si »

Oh yes, that's on one of my regular rides (just off of the North Warcs Cycle Route, should anyone be riding that) :D .
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

If it were pail ale, would it have a wonderful buc-ket?
whoops

Post by whoops »

Sainsbury's this mornng

Something to dine for--7.5% IPA. Bottled conditioned.
Greene King IPA Export--5%
Greene King IPA 3.6% [??]

It appears they make beer stronger than they used to. Especially as some like above are produced to accompany food to compete with the cheap plonk from overseas.