Troll poll

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

What to do with trolls?

1. Give a reasoned and civil reply
18%
2. Ignore
59%
3. Call them a troll and tell them to get lost
No votes
4. Ban them at the first hint of any trolling
24%

Total votes: 34

Si

Re: Troll poll

Post by Si »

we seem to have gone a bit of topic so have split out part of the thread to here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46749
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Good idea Si, I'm assuming everyone is a troll until prooven innocent, so have basically put everyone on ignore.

I can't even read my own posts.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Edwards wrote:... You had to learn to fight while still in Terry Nappies.
Quite posh then? :wink: (Round our way -armleyleedstwelve - the only truly poor family let their kids play on the pavement, naked from the waist down. :( )
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

TC you did live in more enlightened time than me when younger. :D
I do not remember if the nappies were kept on it was a long time ago and I was very young. Funny though I do remember being hit with a house brick by another child wanting my trike with the boot at the back.

I wonder if it would help to avoid problems sorting out what is a Troll and so on if there was some sort of information thread.
I only heard the term on here and guessed from the story it was something not pleasant. Then worked out I think what it means by other people using the term.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

and a "troll" is ???????????????????????????????
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Nutsey wrote:Good idea Si, I'm assuming everyone is a troll until prooven innocent, so have basically put everyone on ignore.

I can't even read my own posts.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
gaz

Post by gaz »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:and a "troll" is ???????????????????????????????

We get a few of them in Kent, hiding under bridges mostly. They are the responsibility of the Environment Agency.

HPIM0185.JPG

HPIM0181.JPG

Sometimes they try to sabotage things for cyclists, they're usually not very good at it.

HPIM0178.JPG

One recently trashed a barrier on NCN1, presumably because he thought he was ruining a good cycle facility.

HPIM0183.JPG

They might become a more serious problem as government cutbacks kick in.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Interestingly KTM690 is starting to miaow.......

Claims to be a healthcare professional,and now ranting about how good Swiss cycling is!

Did you also know that Switzerland has no COAST?

Anyone else remember the Swiss Family Felines?
Graham

Post by Graham »

In the case of suspect trolls ( or other annoyingly persistent posters ).

Grit yout teeth ( optional ).

Do not respond to the provocative post . . . . because you will give them the attention that they desperately seek.

Respond to a prior post in the same topic, by another poster ( optional ). . . . moving the agenda onward, ignoring the troll post.

There is a facility in the User Control Panel " Friend & Foes".
Designate your foe and something good will happen . . . . . . ( I don't precisely know what. Perhaps someone who has used it can feedback here ? )
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Graham as trolls seem to grow from unpleasantness can we kill them with kindness and sympathy?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
PW

Post by PW »

Cunobelin wrote:Interestingly KTM690 is starting to miaow.......

Claims to be a healthcare professional,and now ranting about how good Swiss cycling is!

Did you also know that Switzerland has no COAST?

Anyone else remember the Swiss Family Felines?

If that turns out to be right then kill it quick! Drowning in a water butt used to be the preferred method. :evil:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PW wrote:... Drowning in a water butt used to be the preferred method. ...

Gang warily! I was having a lot of grey squirrel trouble last year and I researched the subject. Although they are officially vermin, drowning them is inhumane and there have been some high profile cases opf people getting into trouble for doing it. One chap ended up at court, courtesy of the RSPCA, just for saying he had done it. :shock: I presume cats have the same rights as squirrels. :?:

Apparently, for anybody unwilling to call in a vet, one officially approved humane method is catching in a heavy sack then clubbing to death. :?

(For anybody wondering how I got on with my squirrel(s,) either somebody else has more attractive nuts than mine or vermin can read my mind. (Or somebody else with fewer scruples than mine dealt with the problem.)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Give the vermin enough rope to hang itself, then ban it. We have a nasty infestation now. Its about time it was stopped.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PW

Post by PW »

+1 :evil:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
malakoffee

Post by malakoffee »

If you use the "Friend & Foes" feature to censure a FOE, the posts of the foe are presented as . . .

"This post was made by KTM690 who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post."

The posts are hidden from view UNLESS you explicitly click the link to see each one.

. . . .which doesn't really do much except for those with insufficient self-discipline to be drawn back into the seemly endless loop. :wink: