ukulele, fish-egg, acrostic

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Glueman's and Kwacker's room of their own

Post by kwackers »

glueman wrote:Let's talk facts. Kwackers took my general, on-topic point and turned it into an attack on him, presumably because of the stuff he'd been bottling up about my responses to him on some previous occasion. In fact I had a completely different poster in mind but if you read back what he said it ended with him telling me I should get my own board. That's an opinion. My deletion is because you decided to convert my responses to him into a comedy headline, which is unfair and inappropriate.
However I can take a hint and see which way the land lies.

Your comment is still in the 'correct' thread, my response to it wasn't due to me thinking it was personal. It was to your idea of closing down the entire tea shop whereas previously you've only ever attacked individual subjects.
Seemed like an escalation to me, so I responded.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

glueman wrote:However I can take a hint and see which way the land lies.

i hope this doesn't mean you're leaving, you're too liked and mature to go off in a huff
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

hubgearfreak wrote:
glueman wrote:However I can take a hint and see which way the land lies.

i hope this doesn't mean you're leaving, you're too liked and mature to go off in a huff

Yeah, don't get in a strop. Take my comments in the way I intended them - as someone looking in. You may not agree with them but I hope that perhaps there's something in there that may make you think (we all need to grow).

As I said, I have respect for you and I even understand where you're coming from. We don't agree but we don't need to. I appreciate it's not mutual, but that's ok I've never been particularly fussed what other people think of me - apart from a couple of folk obviously.
Si

Post by Si »

As I said - tell me what you would have done, and what you would like the thread called?

I've already apologised for upsetting you with the title and offered to change it. If you don't want to accept that then there is little that I can do really is there?

As for which way the land lies - well, I addressed my comments to both of you. I removed comments made by both of you. I suggested that the both of you try to put the past behind you and make a clean break. I did not accuse either of you of starting it - I think that that happened back in the depths of time and I'd guess that no one can remember why it started.

It would be unfortunate if either of you got the impression that I was biased to one or other of you - I'm not. Alas, it seems that I can't prove this - this genuinely saddens me as I did think that I had the honour of being able to count you both as (virtual) friends. Ho hum, ce la vie.
glueman

Post by glueman »

If we're being frank, the problem seems to be that moderation doesn't appear to know what to do with a self-confessed troll, namely one Nutsey and has thrown the debate open to the floor to avoid appearing partial. This has opened up old wounds between posters whereas a simple warning or ban would have nipped the problem in the bud.
Trolls are by nature adversarial and push the boundary of what's acceptable. If a moderator can't tell the difference between background controversy and bare-faced trolling the board is screwed.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I reckon I've got a handle on Nutsey.

He trolls without actually trolling, but like me it would seem some people misread the intent and as a result don't see when he's means something and when he's just being amusing.
Sometimes of course he means what he says and people don't like it, but he's young and foolish and we're (mostly) old and experienced...

Perhaps the best reply to his posts when you don't agree would be "whatever" :lol:
glueman

Post by glueman »

I don't have a problem with Nutsey or trolls generally, however moderators have to accept that having them in residence will elicit responses depending how bored/ magnanimous/ adversarial posters are feeling at the time. IMHO Nutsey thinks most people on this board, and quite possibly the world in general, is older, financially better off, more complacent and less smart than he is. He may of course be correct, in which case ya-boo could be the best way to make his case.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Is this the same Nutsey who seems not to be able to string two coherent sentences together? He is just like the bored disaffected and silly youth in school. He does not seem to have grown up yet.
If he is really up to mischief he is so bad it is laughable.
Maybe we should start giving him scores out of ten for stupidity style and composition.
I must admit I have never seen any yaaboo posts that then get altered.

Gluemen you do raise some important posts about moderation. At the moment we would appear to have Si doing the most of this.
So maybe we do need other moderators as well, so maybe it is time to start a recruiting campaign.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

MORE TIME CYCLING LESS TIME TYPING WOULD BE A GOOD BET YOU LOT!!!!!!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:MORE TIME CYCLING LESS TIME TYPING WOULD BE A GOOD BET YOU LOT!!!!!!

I guess I could tie my laptop to the bars and do some work that way. Do you think that would be frowned on as much as cycling whilst on a mobile? :lol:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

glueman wrote:the problem seems to be that moderation doesn't appear to know what to do with a self-confessed troll
if he is a troll, he's a very sucessful one if he's managed to get two well liked members and a mod at one another's throats. best you kiss and make up with both kwackers and si, and sharpish so as not to give him any more pleasure

glueman wrote:This has opened up old wounds between posters
that's you being oversensitive. stating that it's pointless joining in a debate on religion with no other contribution than to say it's dull and pointless is quite different from opening up old wounds.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

dON'T YOU THINK PEOPLE ON HERE ARE JUST A LITTLE "PRECIOUS" ...... KWACKERS.... laptop on the bars is fine ..just don't wear a helmet ... that would be tempting fate... :)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

If there was no Tea Shop we would be deprived by some of the best threads on here. Kwackers "How many forum members to change a light bulb".

That was a classic.
Can any one think of others that were or are as entertaining. Even some that have been copied elsewhere.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Si

Post by Si »

hubgearfreak wrote:
glueman wrote:This has opened up old wounds between posters
that's you being oversensitive. stating that it's pointless joining in a debate on religion with no other contribution than to say it's dull and pointless is quite different from opening up old wounds.

erm, isn't this where we came in?

I dunno, I for one am not at anybody's throat. As I say, I like Glueman and Kwackers (well their internet personalities anyway as I've never met them in reality).

As for Nutsey - while he continues to be a figure of jollity (something that I think that he would admit to) and doesn't go upsetting people I don't see why we should kit him out. But if he does overstep the mark, he will be judged like anyone else.

Regarding moderation of trolls - that'd be why I set up the poll in the first place - to see how the forum wants them handled?
If we are getting back to the subject of trolls in general would you like me to remove all the initial stuff in this thread and merge the general troll stuff back into the original thread?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

If I had to be picky about the name of this thread I think:

"Kwacker's and Glueman's room of their own" would be better.

But

"Kwacker's and Glueman's room with a view" would have been cleverer and more fitting.