ukulele, fish-egg, acrostic

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

Re: Glueman's and Kwacker's room of their own

Post by Edwards »

kwackers wrote:Kwacker's and Glueman's room of their own"

Does that meen we are not invited :cry: .
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Edwards wrote:
kwackers wrote:Kwacker's and Glueman's room of their own"

Does that meen we are not invited :cry: .

It was nearly called that initially, but it would seem most folk ignored it. :wink:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Does this mean I have gate crashed a private do?
Great I have never done anything like this before. Where is the booze?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Edwards wrote:Does this mean I have gate crashed a private do?
Great I have never done anything like this before. Where is the booze?

It's a bring a bottle party, put yours over there with the others.
glueman

Post by glueman »

My attitude to religion is this. While not being religious personally, apart from liking choral music and the odd fresco, it has become an easy target for those who wish to appear more enlightened than their fellow man. There may be all kinds of good reasons for attacking individual aspects of a particular religion but most assaults are instinctive and by their nature, divisive.

On the level of living folklore I believe religion is important. I'm keen on folklore and the narratives different ages live by and very pro-belief, belief in all kinds of things and feel profoundly that individuals should not be forced to justify those instincts, or be pilloried when such beliefs don't adhere to current fashion. I think of religion in a similar way to pre-Beeching railways, easy to knock, simple to dismantle, impossible to replace and the herald of a load of inadequate and messy substitutes.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

glueman wrote:My attitude to religion is this. While not being religious personally, apart from liking choral music and the odd fresco, it has become an easy target for those who wish to appear more enlightened than their fellow man. There may be all kinds of good reasons for attacking individual aspects of a particular religion but most assaults are instinctive and by their nature, divisive.

On the level of living folklore I believe religion is important. I'm keen on folklore and the narratives different ages live by and very pro-belief, belief in all kinds of things and feel profoundly that individuals should not be forced to justify those instincts, or be pilloried when such beliefs don't adhere to current fashion. I think of religion in a similar way to pre-Beeching railways, easy to knock, simple to dismantle, impossible to replace and the herald of a load of inadequate and messy substitutes.

Attmpting to abstract the argument away from religion (I don't see the point in discussing its details).

If it is as you say (and I agree with) "folklore" why is knocking it an issue? Lots of folklore has been relegated from being considered the truth to superstition. Did we lose anything when we stopped believing in fairies?

Peoples beliefs are fine when they're genuinely personal, the problem with religion is that it's designed to get it's followers to promote it and some percentage of those want to remove the option of not believing. Even in the 'enlightened' west we have the likes of the USA where major policy is frequently decided with religious undertones.
Given this, isn't it right that it should be open to scrutiny and it's advocates be prepared to defend it?

I know you're going to say that the tea shop isn't the right place, but where is? I don't believe discussions like this should be hidden away and only partaken by a few intellectuals in a dusty forum somewhere. OTOH, I'd much prefer it if the discussion was indeed a discussion and not a free for all troll fight. TBH I thought we did pretty well on our discussion - especially when you consider the state of the subject elsewhere.

Of course the CTC could insist that all subjects be bicycle related (which is where I guess you originally came in), imo though that would be a mistake. I like the diversity on this forum and particularly I like the fact I don't have to evaluate everything I write to see if it mentions bicycles. To some extent people like controversy and a little spice in the threads does no harm, I reckon the mods have the balance about right in these forums. On the one hand it would be a shame if the posts degenerated into slanging matches but on the other it would be just as bad if they were all sterile repeats of the same thing.
meic

Post by meic »

I was thinking of making some comments, I am sure the one thing that could unite Kwackers and Glueman would be a coalition against me.
However now isnt the time. later guys. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
broadway

Post by broadway »

gaz

Post by gaz »

Broadway, are you watching the live webcam coverage of the room?

Edit - Web cam turned off, things have settled down.
Last edited by gaz on 4 Feb 2011, 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
glueman

Post by glueman »

I put folklore and myth on a much higher pedestal than childish untruths. We live by the most outrageous and pernicious myths and call them common sense or worse, logic. I agree with Charles Fort that everything is the convenient thing to wear for a while. Arguments arise when someone claims their 100%, rock solid, you'd-be-crazy-to-ignore-this-offer myth is the only one in town.
glueman

Post by glueman »

BTW, I won't be contributing any further to the discussion while it remains under a moderator's micturate take banner.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

I'm also boycotting this discussion. I wrote a letter on my lunchbreak only to find my post about that letter has been deleted!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:I was thinking of making some comments, I am sure the one thing that could unite Kwackers and Glueman would be a coalition against me.
However now isnt the time. later guys. :lol:

I'm sorry meic, but thinking about you the best I could come up with was "harmless", then I remembered you're Welsh so I've no uprated that to "mostly harmless".
:wink:

(Obviously I don't know Glueman's position on the Welsh, but imo as long as they keep their Welshness to themselves and don't insist we all have some then I'm fine to only invade temporarily for holiday purposes)
meic

Post by meic »

"Harmless" :!:

I've got a brain the size of a planet and all you can say is "harmless" :?:

Life.... Dont talk to me about life......pssss...

Its all so depressing, I think I am going to sulk under a bridge for a couple of million years.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

meic wrote:Its all so depressing, I think I am going to sulk under a bridge for a couple of million years.

I hear there's a good one on Squornshellous Zeta.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade