Thatcham anyone?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Peppo

Thatcham anyone?

Post by Peppo »

Thatcham, West Berkshire.
Planning to move there with wife and daughter.
17 miles commute to the other side of the Ridgeway is a bit long but doable.

Anyone knows there? Comment, advice, anything ?

Thanks,
random37

Re: Thatcham anyone?

Post by random37 »

Very nice. I used to live near there on my boat.

Depending on where you are the A4 can be a bit noisy.
Peppo

Post by Peppo »

You mean boat on the canal?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I thought this was going to be a question about the security of bike locks, rather than those on the canal.
random37

Post by random37 »

Peppo wrote:You mean boat on the canal?

Yes.

Thatcham is nice. Will you be working at the bomb factory?
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

chris667 wrote:
Peppo wrote:You mean boat on the canal?

Yes.

Thatcham is nice. Will you be working at the bomb factory?

Or testing car security :lol:
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It's known as a bit of a traffic jam. Not far from Newbury and Reading both pleasant towns. Main thing is (if you like off road), the CHILTERNS north of Reading is cycling heaven. Some of the most extensive natural forests in England. Hundreds of miles of fantastic bridleways and car free minor roads. Great easy hills, great beer and pubs. The Ridgeway is just one track and not half as interesting as the rest. A very active DA in Reading with loads of rides. Not far to the coast, London and the Cotswolds.

A great area to live.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Hi Peppo,
I live in Thatcham, what do you want to know?
Alan
Peppo

Post by Peppo »

Alan D wrote:Hi Peppo,
I live in Thatcham, what do you want to know?
Alan

Hi Alan,
well, everything...
Is it a good place to live with family?
Is the traffic bad?
Is it noisy?
You live in Dunston Park?
The schools have a good reputation. Are they really as good as it seems?
My cycling commute would be 17miles towards north, Harwell Campus, just other side of the Ridgeway. Not taking the A34 it would be narrow unlit country lanes. Long, but perhaps doable, maybe not every day but most days. How are the roads, much traffic? is it doable?
random37

Post by random37 »

That's a really, really nice commute. I miss Oxfordshire. :(
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Hi Peppo.
Well let's see if I can help you.
The most important question was not asked. Bike shops!
The nearest bike shop is Banjo Cycles in Newbury and I can highly recommend it. Friendly and knowledgable staff; they are a Specialized dealers.
I have heard that a couple of other shops have opened up somewhere, but I know nothing about them.
If you are heading towards Tadley, there's Pedal On, also a good shop, different sort of market though.

No, I don't live on Dunston Park, I am on Kennet Heath. They are little boxes, all made out of tickey-tacky and they all look just the same.
The house next door is vacant and been on the market for a year; the owners emigrated and they must be desperate to sell by now.
I guess that the roads are as bad as anywhere else. All overcrowded and holed. Sometimes the A4 gets MAD!

Shops:
Thatcham has a Waitrose and a Co-Op. Sainsburys and Tesco are fighting for supremacy in Newbury.
The town centre is The Broadway, all the main banks are represented there.
Each evening the Kebab van moves in and the ferul youth appear for their noctournal expression of everything that is pointless.
On Fridays there is an open-air market.
There is no shortage of places to eat out. If you like Indian, I suggest the Nawab.
All the usual main high street shops are in Newbury, they have a small Debenhams and M&S, also a department store called Camp Hopson, which is quite big.
Also in Newbury is a new cinema multiplex. If you want to go further to do some really major retail therapy, then you will have to go to Oxford, Basingstoke, Reading or Swindon.
Coming back into Thatcham, there are several pubs.

If you have children:
There are several primary schools, which all feed into Kennet, a science and technology college. My daughter is there and she is into drama, which they also seem good at.
The Scouts and Guides are well represented, if you have one that is old enough for Cubs, he might get me. There is also a Boys Brigade troop and a junior football club.

For cycling around the local area, if you want to go off-road there is Greenham Common to the south (cattle, gravel and windswept exposure); to the north is Bucklebury Common (trees, paparazzi and royal helecopters)
These areas are also good for walking in. If you are on-road then just pick a direction and you will soon be out of town. My favourite is westbound towards Hungerford, via the punishing climb up Walbury Hill.

Recreation. Well it is always relaxing to walk along the Kennet & Avon Canal, although sometimes the kamakazi off-road bikers can be annoying.
Visiting the Discovery Centre is free (lake, reed beds and things with webbed feet that go 'quack' or 'honk').
Visiting Bucklebury Farm Park (horses, donkeys, chickens, pigs, llamas and kids playground) will cost you.

I hope that gives you a reasonable picture, when are you moving?

Alan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hmmm... Reading that lot you are probably going to be better off and nearer to Harwell in any of the villages just north of Reading. One lad I know regularly cycles every day in the better weather.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Peppo

Post by Peppo »

Alan,
thanks a lot, you could not have been more helpful, much appreciated.
Cheers,
Alberto
tomp734444

Post by tomp734444 »

Hi Peppo,

Some great rides with substantial hills just over the border in North Hampshire. Ashmansworth, Faccombe, Inkpen, Coombe all make wonderful rides. From the top of Coombe Hill you can see five counties! For off-roading, there is the Wayfarers Way and the Ridgeway.

I'm sure you won't regret the move from a cycling perspective.

Regards,

Tom
It is better to travel than to arrive.
Peppo

Post by Peppo »

tomp734444 wrote:Hi Peppo,

Some great rides with substantial hills just over the border in North Hampshire. Ashmansworth, Faccombe, Inkpen, Coombe all make wonderful rides. From the top of Coombe Hill you can see five counties! For off-roading, there is the Wayfarers Way and the Ridgeway.

I'm sure you won't regret the move from a cycling perspective.

Regards,

Tom

Thank you!