N+1?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
irc

N+1?

Post by irc »

I've just finished putting the bits on my Kaffenback frame. It's built as a fastish flat bar bike with slightly higher gearing than my other bikes, 700x28 Gatorskins, and no racks, mudguards, or anything else on it. For dry weather only. I tested it yesterday. I'm always a bit apprehensive riding a bike the first time when I've bought it as a frame based on reviews. Choosing the size wasn't a problem. Only the XL 57cm would have been big enough. I set the bar and saddle with reference to my other bikes and only had to tweak the saddle height.

I've never owned a bike with thinner than 700x32mm tyres so I was half expecting a harsh ride on the potholed roads round here but I was pleasantly suprised. The ride was firmer than my tourer but still comfortable. I've no computer on it but it felt slightly faster.

Today I'm rearringing the bike storage in the garage to make better use of the space. We now have 8 bikes there and only one hanging up.

But now I've got 4 bikes do I need any more? The current stable is the Kaffenback, Kona Kula hardtail mtb, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and a rigid Specialized MTB with slicks which is my everyday shopping/pub/runaround bike as well as fulfilling the offroad tourer role.

As I'm not interested in racing or serious MTBing and I'm not doing any commutes where a folder would be useful am I at the point where I have all the bikes I need? Opinions from the forum welcomed.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
mark barker

Re: N+1?

Post by mark barker »

A recumbent would fit in nicely! ;)

Seriously though, I've never really seen the need for a huge collection of bikes. I have a flat bar road bike which is my everyday bike and a recumbent trike which is my toy. I can't really see the need for more unless I felt the urge to get dirty on some tracks, but I don't!
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

See, the problem with your question is that it contained the word "need". Of course you don't need any more. But then that's not really what you're asking, is it? :)

(Seven, before you ask.)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd suggest a minimum* of two bikes that can "just go" in pretty much all weather conditions. (a cheap BSO can suffice as the backup)

If you want a "nice weather" bike then that makes three.

So two or three as a minimum. Of course you might want a pair of "fair weather" bikes, and any competition/toy cycles you want, and....

Bob

* Assuming you don't have a readily available other transport solution (and I try to avoid another car as they're expensive and tempting in inclement weather)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd suggest a minimum* of two bikes that can "just go" in pretty much all weather conditions. (a cheap BSO can suffice as the backup)

If you want a "nice weather" bike then that makes three.

So two or three as a minimum. Of course you might want a pair of "fair weather" bikes, and any competition/toy cycles you want, and....

Bob

* Assuming you don't have a readily available other transport solution (and I try to avoid another car as they're expensive and tempting in inclement weather)

And a child back tandem :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just been for a spin to look at a prospective N+1. Just as good as I'd hoped, ebay bid now placed. :)
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
irc

Post by irc »

Mrs IRC and I talk about moving back into the west end of Glasgow once the offspring have all left home. This would involve leaving my garage and 14x10ft shed and moving to a 2 bedroom flat. The fleet would have to be seriously reduced.

I could lose the MTB no problem. It's a toy which doesn't see much use. I'd keep the Surly for sure but I'd need a second bike I'd be happy parking in the street. I think I'd keep the rigid MTB with slicks and uglify it.

So I think 2 bikes is an absolute minimum. If there wasn't the space for two bikes I wouldn't move.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
bodach

Post by bodach »

I have currently 5 plus a folder in progress. Since we have just got a small car a working folder is becoming urgent as I cannot fit any of the others into the car. It could be useful with my bus pass so long as I still have it. If the Scottish elections take us into the dark ages again the bus pass will probably go along with the end of civilisation.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

winter bike (mudguards and the only bike I've ridden this year upto now)
tourer (lower gears than winter bike)
time trial bike
summer bike (no mudguards)
mtb

And they all get used now and again. (some more than others :) )
You'll never know if you don't try it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

N+1 to be picked up soon. :D
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade