Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Big T

Re: Favourite tea shops

Postby Big T » 17 Apr 2009, 1:32pm

There's a new tea room just opened about 3 weeks ago in the Vale of Belvior. It's called Dove Cottage Tea Rooms and is on the minor road between Harby and Plungar. Turn left at the railway bridge as you come out of Harby and then over the canal bridge after about half a mile and it's on your left.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev

Quicksilver

Re: Teashops

Postby Quicksilver » 26 Apr 2009, 11:15pm

Crazydave wrote:Does anyone know any good teashops down the West Coast of Scotland?

The Bridge Cottage coffee shop in Poowewe, Wester Ross, is my favourite tea room in all the world. Simple home cooked locally sourced food, run by a friendly couple who even provide a choice of full fat or semi simmed milk on each table, cakes to die for and there's a lovely little art gallery upstairs.

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 7 May 2009, 9:02pm

We found a corker' of a tea rooms today. In Lavenham,Suffolk,At the south end of the town,about 1/4 mile down from the church on the main road.
It's called "Rennaisance Tea Rooms".Very good food,clean,quick and good value.It was so good I might even push the boat out and take the missus'one day!

PW

Postby PW » 9 May 2009, 5:47pm

Right. Poolewe Bridge Cottage is on the map for my JOGHome ride this summer :D
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

worthers

Postby worthers » 14 May 2009, 12:38pm

Harley's Diner and also Cinnamon cafe in Market Deeping are two favourites of mine.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 15 May 2009, 4:36pm

Thanks for those tips Worthers. Will check one out at least when we're next over at our son's in Werrington.
Two great cafes we just found on a tour of the Welsh Borders and Shropshire are:
The Bridge Cafe in Clun. Superb (Yorkshire) Tea and homemade cakes.
Walford Court Garden Cafe. Excellent lunches with a Scottish twist, (the owners a Scot).
The latter is on the road between Knighton and Leintwardine and is a great replacement for the apparently now defunct The Old Crocks cafe in Brampton Bryan.

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 16 May 2009, 8:17am

There is a new cafe/tea shop just been opened up at "Fillpots Nursery",Boxted,a few miles north of Colchester.It's well worth a visit.Plenty of seating inside and out,quick,clean and the most important bit - very good cakes!

lukepinkhandbag

Postby lukepinkhandbag » 20 May 2009, 10:57pm

How about the infamous PETES EATS in Llanberis where you get tea in pint mugs.
The Lavender tea rooms in Etal
The Oxford tea rooms near Berwick..oh those cheese scones.
The Quarry cafe in Machynlleth....falafel of unequalled quality.
Sadly the caff on Morecambe prom' that used to serve jugs of tea for a quid is no more but what memories.
The Cayley tea shack on Rhos on Sea prom' - tea and a tea cake please.
The tea rooms in Rhyd Ddu where they bake their own Dutch Apple Pie and Dutch pancakes are to die for.
The caff in Trawsfynydd, now closed, right on the LON LAS CYMRU where if you timed it right on Sunday morning the Rhubarb Crumble would just be exiting the oven...BINGO
The caff in a double decker bus at the Honey Farm near Norham.

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 23 May 2009, 11:46am

Meant to post this ages ago but forgot. On the road from Macclesfield to Leek there's a long climb to leek as you get about halfway alongside Rudyard Lake the is one of those mobile tea shop caravans in a lay by. they do "Staffordshire Oat cakes" with cheese and bacon. AWSOME :D well worth a stop.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

Swizz69

Postby Swizz69 » 27 Jun 2009, 6:45pm

Came across a nice one today...

http://www.hydebankfarm.co.uk./

Good one for families, its just off the Lower Peak Forest Canal near Romiley if towpaths are your thing, has a few facilities for the kids and offers Sunday Dinner too.

Another good cafe accessable from this canal is at Etherow Park - there is a newish bridlepath near Lock 7 at Marple, that leads through Brabyns Park to Compstall...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=39 ... pp=map.srf

Ian...

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 6 Jul 2009, 10:20am

There's a new cafe on the Lancaster - Glasson Dock cycle path, at the Glasson Dock end between the Stork and the entrance to the car park for the cycle way (yes I know that is a contradiction).
Been open about 9 weeks, basic snacks, sandwiches only but a good selection of cakes and decent ice creams. Currently open daily til 6pm.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

steve.y.griffith

Re: Favourite tea shops the NW

Postby steve.y.griffith » 13 Jul 2009, 4:09pm

a few other recommendations based on information from RSF ( Rouhg Stuff fellowship ) members and own experience of the area:

OS 102 Preston and Blackpool : cafe on farm just west of Inslip at 460393 open Thursday to sun from 1200 to about 1630; superb like sitting in someone front parlour

Pilling , cafe in centre of village massive portions you will not leave here hungry

OS103 Blackburn

Abbots Retreat, West Marton : about 6 miles west of Skipton on canal which at this point has the Pennine Way running beside it. Very friendly and open most days . Check out the double decker bridge and the tow path to Bank Newton

Waddington , Country Kitchen only 2 miles from Clitheroe 729 438

Dunsop Bridge ( the centre of the UK) cafe is excelent but even better on Sunday afternoons the village hall at 713 21 cakes cut to 90 degree slices!!!

If you want something a bit more upmarket try Bashall Barn 713 421 just west of Waddington in Bashall Town

Steve

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 31 Jul 2009, 12:27pm

Not a teashop as such but much better for hungry tourists.
Just south of the main crossroads in Welshpool is a "food emporium", sorry but can't remember the name of it but it's about 50 metres down the main A483 (old road through the town) on the left.
You can't miss it, it's huge, goes back a long way and does wonderful pies, pasties, sandwiches lots of other deli stuff and the prices are amazingly low for us poor cycle-tourists.
Enjoy, as they say!

Guy951

Postby Guy951 » 18 Aug 2009, 4:00pm

I haven't been that way for about 5 years now, but a favourite stop of mine was always the Flag & Whistle at Toddington station (Toddington, Glos). Big mugs of tea, slabs of home-made cake and sit and watch the steam trains on the Gloucestershire/Warwickshire Railway. Absolute Heaven :D
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster

mark_w

Postby mark_w » 21 Aug 2009, 10:55am

My favourite local café has to be the Station Cafe (aka The Secret Cafe) which is on the York-Selby Route 65 path in Naburn. It's great because it's only readily accessible to walkers and cyclists, and is something to look forward to after a long ride - I usually make it a stopping point on my way home and have a Bacon Sandwich and a nice cup of tea. They're only open weekends and bank holidays, and it's nice to chat to other cyclists over a cup of tea.

I'd also put in another vote for Pete's Eats in Llanberis. Just fab. Nothing better than a big mug of tea and rummaging around in the book exchange upstairs.

Recently I also discovered the Rattle Gill Café in Ambleside, near the water wheel. Didn't realise it was a whole food cafe when we went in (although the menu gave it away) but to be honest, it's the type of place that would convert me to whole food it's so good! I had a cup of tea and a hearty bowl of home made tomato and fennel soup with a nice wedge of crusty bread. Was quite possibly the best little café I've ever been to, the food was just to die for. I think there's a few cyclists who stop there as a group of 3 cyclists just pulled up when I was leaving.

As a bonus there's a brilliant record shop called the Plum Piano which is just over the gill/waterwheel. One of those places that just oozes cool, and I love flicking through the vinyl and occasionally buying something (although the logistics of how to get it home is always fun!)
--------
Blog : My Bike Rides