Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Slowroad

Re: Favourite tea shops

Post by Slowroad »

If you're cycling through mid-Devon, The Burrow in Exbourne is well worth a stop - best toast and marmalade for ages, and the cooked breakfasts looked great too.
Also there aren't many underground community shop/cafes around so it's a bit of a one-off!
It's not far from the Devon Coast-to-Coast/Tarka Trail.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
tripwire

Post by tripwire »

Here's a few good places I found while touring Caithness, Sutherland and Ross:

Cafe Tempest, Thurso harbour: Looks like a typical industrial estate greasy-spoon from the outside, but inside it's decked out as a surfer's snack bar. Fortunately I didn't judge the book by it's cover but by the mouthwatering aromas emanating from within! I visited once on the way to JoG and the food was so good I came back the next day on the way home. They serve main meals and snacks (sandwiches, paninis etc) with a nice dressed side salad. The star of the show is the cakes, however. Their scones were superb, as were the brownies. I would have tried the victoria sponge too, but buying three cakes for the train ride home seemed a bit extravagant :)

Lochinver Larder: I'd actually planned to drop in here as I'd seen it recommended on a hillwalking forum or blog somewhere, but completely forgot. Luckily I stumbled upon it accidentally while trying to find a good place to sit out a sudden downpour. Famous for their award-winning pies (pricey, but delicious), they also make some fine cakes. I had a slice of carrot cake and took a scone for later, both excellent.

The Cafe at Bettyhill: Stopped here for fish and chips on "chip shop night", then spotted the cake display on the way out. Powerless to resist, I picked up a lovely fruit scone and a generous portion of blackcurrant victoria sponge, which was very tasty.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Seeing this thread reminded me I needed to put up some that I used back in July, so here goes.

The Corn Dolly - South Molton. Great service. Place was empty when I got there, they allowed me to wheel my bike through then they took it through to kitchen and stored it for me in their private garden. they also allowed me to plug in my phone to charge up. Food was very good and reasonably priced but the best 2 things there - 1. the tea was fantastic, you get loads and can choose from some very nice blends. 2. The size of the slices of cake you get has to be seen to be believed, truly epic

Fremington Quay on the Tarka Trail. Pretty looking place, purpose build but made to look like train station building. It was heaving as well, just tonnes of cyclists. Service was quick but a little harassed. Carrot cake was nice if a little dry.

Vieria's cafe in Yelverton. Nice, reasonable price and decent cake. No place to lock up bikes in site of the cafe though, I ended up locking mine to their sign and sitting outside on the small tables on the pavement

The Strand Stores - Culmstock - great little place. Has its own bike rack, seating indoors and a few picnic benches outside as well. Cake was really nice as was the hot chocolate and a reasonable price. Service was excellent, only problem I found is they don't take card for less than 10 quid. Need to remember to carry cash with me!
Kent79

Post by Kent79 »

It was some time ago but I cycled through Bakewell and stopped off at the Lavender Tea Rooms, they were of an excellent quality! I had tea and bakewell pudding (of course!), so so tasty! So, if anyone ends up over that way, make sure you stop by for some afternoon tea!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

If you're in Woodbridge, definately worth a pop into the new Firestation Cafe, next the the Cake Shop on the Thoroughfare. I know some of the people involved, but I am not saying with a bias that the coffee and edibles are very good. Especially the savoury Eccles cakes and more importantly, the 'Nossage Rolls' (which, when I tell you all in there is veggie, you'll be able to guess what those are). Tiny place though, with no outside seating, so probably not the best for club rides, well, unless it's a very small club... It's owned by the folk from the Cake Shop Bakery, so all baked goods are their own.
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

Given the importance of this topic could we not get it more region specific? As much as I like reading about cake, I'm unlikely to cycle to Devon despite their excellent reputation for cakes. I'm in Motherwell afterall. Actually, I wonder how far ... :D
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Jughead wrote:Given the importance of this topic could we not get it more region specific? As much as I like reading about cake, I'm unlikely to cycle to Devon despite their excellent reputation for cakes. I'm in Motherwell afterall. Actually, I wonder how far ... :D

Agreed!!!!
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
Grumbleweed

Post by Grumbleweed »

The Corn Dolly is one of my very favourite spots, I would do a ten mile detour to get there anyday!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Grumbleweed wrote:The Corn Dolly is one of my very favourite spots, I would do a ten mile detour to get there anyday!

.....................tell us more - where is it?............does it appear on any web-site?
honesty

Post by honesty »

JohnW, see my review a few posts up.

I was so nice I actually took my wife there the next weekend after having to return to Torrington to pick up my back wheel (how I managed to break 4 spokes in one go I don't know...)

Very nice food, fantastic cakes, very good and very plentiful loose leaf tea in a variety of blends, bit slow on the service.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

honesty wrote:JohnW, see my review a few posts up.

I was so nice I actually took my wife there the next weekend after having to return to Torrington to pick up my back wheel (how I managed to break 4 spokes in one go I don't know...)

Very nice food, fantastic cakes, very good and very plentiful loose leaf tea in a variety of blends, bit slow on the service.

Thanks Honesty - ok - next question : where's South Molton?

Grumbleweed's location is quoted as Lancaster. I often ride over to Lancaster and it's environs (on Morecambe Bay), but being from Halifax I don't know the local names.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Google South Molton and you get a map. Zoom out a bit to see the location in a wider area.

That's what I did, because I didn't know either :D

We go to Minehead every spring. Hmm, I wonder...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

drossall wrote:Google South Molton and you get a map. Zoom out a bit to see the location in a wider area.

That's what I did, because I didn't know either :D

We go to Minehead every spring. Hmm, I wonder...

Thanks drossall - done that now............nowhere near Lancaster then! :oops:.......or Hertfordshire!
drossall

Post by drossall »

No, but I don't need this thread to tell me the tea shops near home :lol:

And as I mentioned, there's just a chance...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

drossall wrote:No, but I don't need this thread to tell me the tea shops near home :lol:

And as I mentioned, there's just a chance...

Well no......but to ride to Lancaster/Morecambe is about 140 miles round trip for me, and to know about another decent café at the turning point is always very handy. That's why this thread could be really helpful.