Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Braveheart

Re: Favourite tea shops

Post by Braveheart »

Just found a new one today
Been open 4 weeks
Nice people
Nice coffee
Nice brownies
Great location for downs link MTB's and roadies between partridge green and ashurst/Steyning

http://www.stansbikeshack.com/stansmap.html
..... they may take our lives.... but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Here's a really good tea shop, Zarina's. It's about 50 yds from the bridge in the middle of Kettlewell. Upper Wharfedale, North Yorkshire. It's very welcoming of cyclists and has already won recognition from local clubs.
Attachments
Zarinas 15.jpg
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

Cafe Cluso's in Chipping Sodbury, very welcoming to cycling clubs and do a mean cream tea!

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk

easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Ooooh I am partial to a classic cream tea to fuel me around the second half of a long cycle! :D

(make mine two fruit scones and a white coffee thanks)
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...cycling around Southsea ...we discovered this little gem off Highland Road ...tucked discreetly behind the Sir Loin of Beef pub in Highland Road ...is Peter's Tapas Bar ...the interior is a mix of traditional Edwardian pub ...and shabby-chic café ...we had a super soup of the day ...with buttered baguette slices ...followed by tea and cake ...they would welcome cycle groups ...with cycle racks ...and tree ...opposite ...you won't find them on facebook ...nor do they have a website ...they get all their business by 'word of mouth' ...if you're passing ...and hungry ...do give them a go

:)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

ROUTE 1 CAFE.
Queen St. Redcar. Near to the town clock.

Opened in February 2015, this new café is situated just off the NCN 1, hence the name. It aims to cater for cyclists. There are bike stands inside the café, so you can keep your eye on your pride and joy. The décor is cycling related and there are some interesting original cycling art works.

Great food, coffee and great service.

Upstairs is a community cycling workshop.

Well worth a visit especially if you are riding NCN1.

PLEASE NOTE.
The café is presently closed on Sundays. The owners do intend to open on Sundays when the visitor season opens and footfall (or the cycling equivalent) increases
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Route 1 cafe 5.jpg
Route 1 cafe 3.jpg
Route 1 cafe 2.jpg
Route 1 cafe 1.jpg
Photos of Route 1 café.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I went to the Old Station Café at Tintern of Saturday. I can recommend it but not until the 1st April as it's shut.
94inchandy

Post by 94inchandy »

here`s a lovely cafe stop, the type of place the kettle is always on and a very warm welcome to everyone, lovely owner clare (big bubbly personality) the cafe is set on the side of a fishing lake, it`s a old fashion cafe, do not expect silver service but you always get a warm welcome and a big mug of builders tea and a bacon butty or a full english breakfast at a fair price,
clare is loved by the local groups, and it is a cafe that is used as a stop on many runs

lakeside cafe, merrington carp fishery, merrington green (sheet 126) GR/457215 easy to get to and safe back road to ride on, Bomere Heath or from Baschurch,

cafe is open long hours on weekends as to feed hungry fishmen, so 07896868467 if you are passing and you need to find out if the cafe is open

the fishery has a facebook account https://www.facebook.com/merrington.car ... y/timeline
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Some tea shops I like:
Jackdaw's, Malmesbury town hall
Pepper's, Bull Lane, Gloucester (run by a cyclist; ex RAAM rider!)
Hill WI cake sale (first Sunday of the month; Hill is between Berkeley and Bristol)
Roll for the Soul, Quay St, Bristol (with bike workshop upstairs)
Cafe Kino, Stokes Croft, Bristol
Angel Cafe(?), Sherston
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Recently found a nice café in Shipston on Stour, Worcestershire.
It's called the Courtyard café and is located near the top of the high street.
It's down a side street but it backs on to the canal, so if you find yourself at the canal bridge, it's just around the corner.
There's room to park your bike in the courtyard and if you don't want to sit outside (with the smokers :() it's nice and pleasant inside.
Very friendly staff, good pots of tea, and sandwich (BLT for instance) with salad and crisps for around £3.60.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Fausto -
I've tried to get an address for the Courtyard Cafe but it doesn't appear on Google etc.
I'm going through Shipston end of August and might drop in.
Any chance you could firm up on the address?

Cheers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

My apologies here, it's the old grey matter. You see....
there are a few places I always get mixed up with when recalling names.; you know, Bromyard, Bewdley and what's that other one near there beginning with a B?

Similarly I seem to be confusing Shipston on Stour with Stourport on Severn, which is where we actually were last week. :?

So to clarify things, the Courtyard Café, referred to is really in Stourport on Severn.

However, in order to please cycleruk I've had a look in my diary to discover that we had a nice lunch a couple of years back when actually in Shipston on Stour.
It was called "Mrs. Brown's tearooms" (no boys there :roll: ) and did a good line in food. My notes say we had lovely ciabattas and sandwiches and a "great pot of tea" and it's located on the High street.

Hopefully a link to streetview here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mrs ... d93c73da0a

So hopefully that helps, and apologies to all towns that I seem to get mixed up about. :lol:

fausto.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Shipston-on-Stour is quite local to me, and is one of my regular coffee stops. So I, too, was a bit mystified by Fausto's description of a Courtyard cafe and canal. But, all was revealed, and I can stop worrying that my memory has totally deserted me !! (well, for the time being anyway)

Mrs Brown's tearoom is fine. It's a very traditional little place. But, there's an alternative, just round the corner about 25 metres away (down Sheep St). It's a baker's shop ("The Bakery") which has a small section for refreshments and hot food (all day breakfasts/ sandwiches/ paninis/ etc). It has a table or two on the pavement in good weather. I mention it because it's welcoming of cyclists.

The one drawback (which also applies to Mrs Browns) is that the streets and pavements (where they exist) are very narrow and it's not easy to park one's bike in view. It doesn't worry me particularly, because the area feels safe and I chain mine up to a post about 15 metres away.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Thanks to both of you guys.
I will be going down through Shipston so may stop off for a bite.

A couple of places we have lunched at when down the "Fosseway" (in the car):-
Stretton under Fosse-
http://www.maltkilnfarmshop.co.uk/

& on the Fosseway-
http://www.hilltopfarmshop.com/#sthash.JbO6sX8W.dpbs

Both have good cafes if your in that area.
You'll never know if you don't try it.