Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
100%JR

Re: Favourite tea shops

Post by 100%JR »

Windmill Cafe,Royd Moor,Penistone.
Mentioned this on before but I think deserves another mention as it's been extended and completely refurbished 8)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

100%JR wrote:Windmill Cafe,Royd Moor,Penistone.
Mentioned this on before but I think deserves another mention as it's been extended and completely refurbished 8)

+1 to Windmills Café. I must have seen you there.
PitPony

Post by PitPony »

Try the village hall at Gargrave when there's a flea market/collectors fair on. They are usually on the second and fourth Sunday of the month.
You have to pay 50 pence to get in but the money goes to keeping the hall going and I'm in favour of preserving this sort of thing.
The cakes are all home made, egg or bacon butties also available and all at very low prices.
People are friendly and you can hear some interesting conversations from some real characters. You can also browse the "collectors" /craft items whilst the rain passes.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

JohnW wrote:

More than likely.
I'm usually there with my lad,me in Barnsley Road Club/100%JustRide kit him in Huddersfield Star Wheelers kit 8)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I really want to know, why are you two in different clubs? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I really want to know, why are you two in different clubs? :wink:

I'm not...I'm in three.Well I was but I'm not renewing my subs to the Charity Team when it runs out at the end of the month.
BRC is my Primary.
100% aren't really a club but a group of mates who left a Charity Team due to infighting.No subs/membership we "Just ride"
Most riders I know are in two clubs!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

100%JR wrote:
JohnW wrote:

More than likely.
I'm usually there with my lad,me in Barnsley Road Club/100%JustRide kit him in Huddersfield Star Wheelers kit 8)

I'm always in an orange jersey. I ride Pennine frames. I'm from Halifax - Calderdale CTC. It's usually 2.00pm - 3.00pm when I arrive - late lunch, early tea. I'm old!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Not Calder CTC but a few of the gang I go to Mallorca with ride with Calder Clarion
I reckon we’ve probably crossed paths up there and I’ll look out for you in future!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

100%JR wrote:Not Calder CTC but a few of the gang I go to Mallorca with ride with Calder Clarion
I reckon we’ve probably crossed paths up there and I’ll look out for you in future!

Calder Clarion and Calderdale CTC - two different clubs - the Clarion are Wakefield based, and faster than me!
Yes - you and I must have been up there at the same time occasionally.
atoz

Post by atoz »

JohnW wrote:
100%JR wrote:
JohnW wrote:+1 to Windmills Café. I must have seen you there.

More than likely.

I'm always in an orange jersey. I ride Pennine frames. I'm from Halifax - Calderdale CTC. It's usually 2.00pm - 3.00pm when I arrive - late lunch, early tea. I'm old!

I second the Windmills Cafe also. Mind you, it's pretty damn windy up there- no prizes for guessing why there's so many wind turbines. I was once reduced to one to one gearing on the flat up there in a howling gale,,
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

PitPony wrote:Try the village hall at Gargrave when there's a flea market/collectors fair on. They are usually on the second and fourth Sunday of the month.
You have to pay 50 pence to get in but the money goes to keeping the hall going and I'm in favour of preserving this sort of thing.
The cakes are all home made, egg or bacon butties also available and all at very low prices.
People are friendly and you can hear some interesting conversations from some real characters. You can also browse the "collectors" /craft items whilst the rain passes.

Useful tip, thanks. I used to frequent the White Cottage which appears to have closed. The Dalesman was the classic Dales cyclist cafe but I was unimpressed with the food last time I went in. The previous time a few years ago I was served by a woman dressed in a police uniform while someone in the back was a stormtrooper..... it took me a few years to dare to return!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

atoz wrote:.............I second the Windmills Cafe also. Mind you, it's pretty damn windy up there- no prizes for guessing why there's so many wind turbines. I was once reduced to one to one gearing on the flat up there in a howling gale,,

27" gear on the flat! - that's some headwind, if it wasn't just a gust! I've had some raw weather up there myself, but I don't remember anything as extreme. I have seen a written claim that it's the windiest inland place in Britain, but I'd like to see some learned proof. Your comment about the suitability for the wind farm is certainly appropriate.

Have you been to the nearby viewpoint, and seen York Minster? You'll need a clear-ish day, and you'd need to know where to look, but with binoculars on a relatively clear day, it's impressive. As I say, you need to know where to look - the engraved brass direction plate in the middle of the stone-wall circle isn't much help - not accurate enough.

I once saw one of the Humber Bridge piers from up there, using a young chap's very powerful tripod mounted binoculars. He said that it was unusual, and the conditions at the time were on what he called the limit of visibility. I've never seen it since, using my hand-held bins.

Going back to the (excellent) :D :D café, it's not the same since staff-member Angela moved on :cry: :cry: - a lot of the laughter has gone.

One downside-comment though - since the recent alterations, you can't see and watch your bikes from inside the café :roll: :roll: and that's a serious security issue :shock: :shock: . One of the many good points about the place previously was that we could see our bikes from within.
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

Came across a new cafe stop a couple of weeks ago - if you're in the Basingstoke area at any time check out House28 in Sherfield on Loddon.

Be warned though it's a vegan cafe, so you won't get a bacon butty or sausage roll however the cake selection is outstanding.

Neil
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

JohnW wrote:......................One downside-comment though - since the recent alterations, you can't see and watch your bikes from inside the café :roll: :roll: and that's a serious security issue :shock: :shock: . One of the many good points about the place previously was that we could see our bikes from within.

About the Windmills Café - Penistone. When I wrote the above I was commenting on the basis of information given to me by other cyclists, and on the basis of what I could see when I'd dropped by whilst the building works were on-going.

I was wrong. Bikes are still visible from inside the café, parked in the places that I've always parked mine. This isn't a problem. The menu is slightly more expansive than previously. (I said expAnsive!!!!!),
PJ520

Re:

Post by PJ520 »

horizon wrote:I honestly don't know why more people don't give one a try.
Perhaps size and cost.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West