Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Re: Favourite tea shops

Post by fausto copy »

Don't know if this one has been recommended before, but we've called in twice recently and had superb meals there.

The cafe is called "Bean on a Bike" and it's located within "County Cycles" large showroom and shop in Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire.
It's in the business park at the eastern end, towards 3A's Caravans.

The food is all home-made and mostly veggie but there will be a few meat-based items for us carnivores, although I've thoroughly enjoyed the veggie stuff and feel as if I'm being converted to "the dark side". :shock:

The ladies in there, especially the owner, are so friendly and helpful.
She had home-made lemonade the other day, which was so refreshing in the heatwave.
Her coffees are top notch too.

And you can also ogle the gorgeous road bikes while in there.

fausto.
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

ibbo68 wrote:Called at Birkin Fisheries Tea Room near Knottingley,Wakefield with the CC last Sunday.
Great little bike friendly cafe in a nice location.Has enough bike racks for probably 40+ bikes.

Go there, at times, with Wakefield Triathlon Club

Squires, a bit further up the 'Tadcaster TurnPike' has now started selling proper cake, not just pre-packaged flapjack, etc...

I had 'Sticky Chocolate Orange Cake' recently, & it was good........................

Road-Trip. 8.jpg
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

I recently tried the Post Office at Wray in Lancashire and although its very small the service and prices were fantastic a slice of cake was £1. :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

hjd10 wrote:I recently tried the Post Office at Wray in Lancashire and although its very small the service and prices were fantastic a slice of cake was £1. :D

Around the corner from the P.O. is Bridge House Farm Tearooms. Prices are a bit more but good food.
There is also the Post Office at Hornby about 1.25 miles away.
http://www.stayinthelunevalley.co.uk/?H ... _Tea_Rooms
You'll never know if you don't try it.
echolalia

Post by echolalia »

Tea at Maria's just outside Radcliffe, Notts on the A59 - ignore the A59 - this cafe served me the most amazing pot of tea I have ever had in my short existence. Bone china cup, pot, jug of milk AND JUG OF HOT WATER TO TOP UP POT!!!!

Thank you to both the friendly women in there.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Recentlymet my son at Gorilla's cafe Kings Heath, Birmingham. Offer of a lock if I needed it, nice coffee and cracking toast!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Si

Post by Si »

rmurphy195 wrote:Recentlymet my son at Gorilla's cafe Kings Heath, Birmingham. Offer of a lock if I needed it, nice coffee and cracking toast!

You should try the green cake! No idea what it is but it's lovely.

Would also recommend these guys, not just because of the quality of the cafe but because the bike shop side of it has really got involved with our community cycling stuff. James the owner is a top chap!
Flite

Post by Flite »

Relatively new tearoom, The Boat Shack, overlooking Derwent Reservoir (that's the Durham Derwent).
Next to Pow Hill Country Park, on the Edmundbyers to Blanchland road.
Very welcoming, super views, pretty safe for bikes.
Limited menu - soup, sandwiches, paninis, cakes, etc, but we had a bit of everything and it was good (esp the Toffee Cake!!)
Closed Mon and Tues. Roast lunches on Sunday, 12.00 - 3.00

For youngsters/less confident, there is a multi-use path about 5 miles round the reservoir, from Pow Hill car park over the dam to Millshields in Northumberland, and 5 miles back.
Public toilets at the dam and Millshields, but not at Pow Hill
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

cycleruk wrote:...............There is also the Post Office at Hornby about 1.25 miles away.

That's true - but the prices may put you off a second visit...........certainly did me.
Last edited by JohnW on 23 Feb 2018, 10:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

The Chalet,Portinscale,Keswick.
Large,Cycling friendly cafe.Plenty of space to park/lock bikes but has large windows if you don’t carry a lock.Also plenty of outside seating.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Showing remarkable fortitude, I rode straight past two of my favourites yesterday.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Spike1964

Tea Shops and B&B

Post by Spike1964 »

Hi guys my first time on here. I am doing the UK's ten toughest climbs, thought I'd share a little gem I found. I did the Buscombe Lane, Woodmancote Cheltenham climb Monday. Last minute decision and found a cracking B&B just up the road, Gambles Lane Farm, accommodation, people and food great. Reasonable prices too. Incredibly they say they don't get many cyclist. The area is lovely with some challenging lumps. If you're that way try it.
Regards John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Audax67 wrote:Showing remarkable fortitude, I rode straight past two of my favourites yesterday.

Is this statement incomplete? I bet you stopped at the third favourite (one of my favourite words) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Re: Tea Shops and B&B

Post by pwa »

Spike1964 wrote:Hi guys my first time on here. I am doing the UK's ten toughest climbs, thought I'd share a little gem I found. I did the Buscombe Lane, Woodmancote Cheltenham climb Monday. Last minute decision and found a cracking B&B just up the road, Gambles Lane Farm, accommodation, people and food great. Reasonable prices too. Incredibly they say they don't get many cyclist. The area is lovely with some challenging lumps. If you're that way try it.
Regards John

Quite a few audaxes take in that area. I did that climb on an audax. It is a bit chewy. Hope you are also doing the Devil's Staircase in mid Wales, from the Abergwesyn side. That is a real tester.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you want a coffee shop in London there is a famous one in Old Brompton Rd called the Troubadour. I used to know the owner of the place, Bruce Rogerson, - he long since sold up as he was getting old and running it was a struggle. I remember it from the late 1970s when run by Bruce and the venue was more intimate than it is now.

https://www.troubadourlondon.com/

Amazing indoor decor of bric a brac and old instruments.