Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Philip Benstead

The Field Kitchen (UK) Ltd,

Post by Philip Benstead »

I can recommend this place not open on Sundays

Open Monday - Saturday 08.30 - 16.30
T 01491 641831
The Field Kitchen (UK) Ltd,
The Church Hall,
High St
Nettlebed,
Henley on Thames
RG9 5DA

http://www.thefieldkitchen.co.uk/
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
colin54

Re: Favourite tea shops

Post by colin54 »

I went to Hebden Bridge yesterday and went in the Bicycle Den ,it's situated on the canal about a couple of hundred yards from the overcrowded centre of Hebden Bridge

it's a nice quiet place to sit and relax.

http://www.thebicycleden.co.uk/coffee-lounge/4590091472

https://www.facebook.com/TheBicycleDen

It's a cafe that does bike repairs,hire and sales, always a friendly welcome here and the tropical cake is excellent !

They support the charity 88 bikes.

http://88bikes.org/

P1030810 (640x380).jpg

Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.

A beautiful bit of towpath to ride along as well.
Nu-Fogey
Flite

Post by Flite »

Langwathby Station Cafe is open under new management.

They opened just in time for the CTC Birthday rides based near Penrith!
They serve all the basics plus an interesting range of more unusual food - especially veggie options. Also good coffee, range of herb teas etc.
So far, after several visits for everything from a quick cuppa to a full meal, I'm impressed.

No longer called "Brief Encounter" and feels brighter and more cheerful than before, having reduced the more dreary railway nostalgia.
Still some historic photos, but also some more modern stuff - look out for the very modern cyclist picture in the left hand room.
Plenty of places to leave your bike in view.

Closed Monday and Tuesday
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Just bemoaning not being in my usual Sunday haunt (Emily's at Whitwell near Hitchin) when I bumped into the owners at the London Eurostar terminal and they even recognised me in civies!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Shiela's diner near Dunoon , good home cooked food and open 7 days a week in summer/Autumn.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Have we mentioned the Waterfront Cafe by the Thames at Benson? Last Saturday's Audax used it as a control. Sitting by the Thames in the sun is one of the best places for lunch I know.
becontreewheelerslad

Post by becontreewheelerslad »

There's a new tea shop at Coalhouse Fort in East Tilbury, Princess Margaret Rd, Tilbury RM18 8PB
www.coalhousefort.co.uk/

Excellent toasted tea cakes and a proper coffee machine.

You can get to it very easily from the The Thames path which links back to Tilbury Fort

(As a matter of interest both forts are worth a visit)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

becontreewheelerslad wrote:There's a new tea shop at Coalhouse Fort in East Tilbury, Princess Margaret Rd, Tilbury RM18 8PB
http://www.coalhousefort.co.uk/

Excellent toasted tea cakes and a proper coffee machine.

You can get to it very easily from the The Thames path which links back to Tilbury Fort

(As a matter of interest both forts are worth a visit)

I like the forts. Have they put in any cycle parking? We used to lock our bikes up to fences.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

drossall wrote:Have we mentioned the Waterfront Cafe by the Thames at Benson? Last Saturday's Audax used it as a control. Sitting by the Thames in the sun is one of the best places for lunch I know.

That is a favourite ride destination around here.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

My favourite cafe - the Wee Blether Tea Room at Kinlochard, near Aberfoyle. Wonderful food with generous helpings, including gluten-free and veggie, stunning location on shore of Loch Ard, bike parking, friendly helpful staff. Open daily April-October, 10am-5pm.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

al_yrpal wrote:
drossall wrote:Have we mentioned the Waterfront Cafe by the Thames at Benson? Last Saturday's Audax used it as a control. Sitting by the Thames in the sun is one of the best places for lunch I know.

Al

Has it changed hands recently.
I was not impressed when we were there about 5 years (?) back.
Nice location though.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:

Al

Followed that link al

Oo, bistro :)
I do hope they don't serve vertical food or snacks/meals described with lots of verbs :)
Sweep
bromptonrail

Post by bromptonrail »

If you are in York, perhaps on the Trans Pennine Trail, or NCN Route 66, or just tootling around, the new Cafe at Cycle Heaven's brand new cycling emporium on Hospital Fields Road is well worth a visit. Excellent cakes and drinks, a splendid full English Breakfast (via veggie alternatives). Secure bike parking at the workshop end of the huge two storey shop. Cycle Heaven stock a very wide range of bikes (Gazelles through lightweight touring and road machines to children's bikes and trailers) and accessories, as well as workshop. Be aware that your visit might cost you more than a cup of tea and cake!!

Follow riverside paths south of York City Centre (either east or west side) to the Millenium Bridge.If your on the west side (NCN 65 TPT - York & Selby path), cross the bridge, bear left and NCN 66 is opposite - pass through barrier, up hill 200m, next left and Cycle Heaven is on your right in a large imposing brick building. If your on east side of river look for NCN 66 (University) sign on left just before the bridge with a chicane type barrier and as above.
No advertising please.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Bank View Cafe-Langsett,Sheffield.

AKA The Spotty Cafe after it's KOM paint job for the 2014 TDF Grand Depart this great little place is right on the edge of the Peak District and situated close to some of the best Road and MTB trails in the area 8)

The food is good(Breakfast portions are HUGE) but it does get very busy at weekends!
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

ibbo68 wrote:Bank View Cafe-Langsett,Sheffield.

The food is good(Breakfast portions are HUGE) but it does get very busy at weekends!

Just don't eat lots, then head straight over, then southwards over The Strines (Mortimer Road'), or you'll taste it more than once!!
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/