The Secret of Longevity

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: The Secret of Longevity

Postby Mick F » 13 Apr 2011, 10:32am

Great idea FW!

Pedal your age!

I'm well ok at the moment, 58miles is easy, 68 in ten years time may be easy too, but 78, 88 etc may not be so! We'll see, but as I have no intention of either dying or stopping cycling, the sky's the limit! :D

Also, stayed at Kings in 2008 during my Grand Tour. Very quiet and peaceful up in the trees and up a long narrow lane - and no pub for a few miles :x

http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.com/
Scroll trough it all to about threequarters though for the Welsh bits.
Mick F. Cornwall

Nutsey

Postby Nutsey » 13 Apr 2011, 11:42am

I think I've mentioned this before, but the answers to the longevity question are already known through studies of the communities most likely to live over 100 years old.

http://www.bluezones.com/about/

Okinawa, Japan
Sardinia, Italy
Loma Linda, California
Nicoya, Costa Rica
Ikaria, Greece

They have stuff in common, like regular exercise (nothing too strenuous), good mixed diet, genes (25% down to genes apparently), moderate alcohol consumption, and mental happiness from a sense of self-worth (this is the big one I reckon).

Personally I think the latter can be achieved through the culling of folk that don't achieve the other stuff, thereby helping the gene-factor, and ridding Britain of lazy sloth chav parasites. But that can wait until I'm in power.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 13 Apr 2011, 1:28pm

Nutsey wrote:Personally I think the latter can be achieved through the culling of folk that don't achieve the other stuff, thereby helping the gene-factor, and ridding Britain of lazy sloth chav parasites. But that can wait until I'm in power.

Since self worth is a relative thing, you'd be better off pruning those that achieve more than you. :wink:

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 15 Apr 2011, 4:19pm

Actuallly Jonty, I drive a sub 1000 pound car and am not averse to charity shop clothes or cheap razors, but that was so I could buy a decent tandem for us both at more thousands than you'd care to think about - got to get your priorities right eh?

Getting back to the topic though. Two and a half years ago I had the opportunity to try premature retirement (laid off), so wife and I cycled lots of places. we both lost weight and were oh so fit until some beggar gave me a job 6 months ago. I'm now just a few months short of 60, have put on weight and don't cycle anywhere near as much as I could or would like to, so guess what, stuff the job even though financially I'll regret it, but my health and well-being are worth more than dosh in the bank where it's always tempting me to buy things that I never knew I needed, let alone can find a use for. So hopefully I'll make an octagenarian cyclist too, but even if I don't, I'll undoubtdly last longer than if I'd not given it a go.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

horizon

Postby horizon » 15 Apr 2011, 4:35pm

+1
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Apr 2011, 5:06pm

The best indicator of life expectancy is economic class. Zillionaires and their families tend to live longer than paupers. (It doesn't necessarily apply in individual cases, of course.)

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 15 Apr 2011, 6:53pm

bikes4two wrote:Actuallly Jonty, I drive a sub 1000 pound car and am not averse to charity shop clothes or cheap razors, but that was so I could buy a decent tandem for us both at more thousands than you'd care to think about - got to get your priorities right eh?

Getting back to the topic though. Two and a half years ago I had the opportunity to try premature retirement (laid off), so wife and I cycled lots of places. we both lost weight and were oh so fit until some beggar gave me a job 6 months ago. I'm now just a few months short of 60, have put on weight and don't cycle anywhere near as much as I could or would like to, so guess what, stuff the job even though financially I'll regret it, but my health and well-being are worth more than dosh in the bank where it's always tempting me to buy things that I never knew I needed, let alone can find a use for. So hopefully I'll make an octagenarian cyclist too, but even if I don't, I'll undoubtdly last longer than if I'd not given it a go.

Fair point, but I was thinking of people who are multi-millionaires who are as tight as my bottom bracket, not sensible economical chaps like you. :wink:
jonty

Hemipode

Postby Hemipode » 15 Apr 2011, 9:12pm

I recall an elderly gentleman who was celebrating his 100th birthday being interviewed on a local TV news programme.

He was asked what his tip for a long life was.

His answer ...
" Keep breathing " :lol:

random37

Postby random37 » 16 Apr 2011, 11:21am

Personally, I think the important thing is not to lead a long life, but rather to lead a good one.

So many people I see on my way into town of a morning look so unhappy. It's a crime, as a society we have our priorities wrong.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 16 Apr 2011, 12:22pm

One of my mates wanted to cycle 75 miles for his 75th birthday last year.
Once word got around (and the fact that we would do it around the realitively flat Staffordshire / Cheshire border) some of his old cycling friends decided to join in.
We ended up with 19 riders out, of whom, 7 were either 75 or older.
To them, it was a piece of cake.
As a mere 57 year-old, I found it a lot tougher!

We've already arranged to do it again for his 80th birthday although there is talk of us going metric!

As an aside, I did the CTC tri-ennial veterans ride a few years back and was might impressed by the 88 year-olds managing to ride a century. There's hope for us all.

merrymac

Postby merrymac » 19 Apr 2011, 10:39pm

My dad cyled till he went blind at 85. Then he walked everywhere , till his zimmer slowed him down. Last year, when he passed the BIG 100, the regional paper interviewd him & asked him the reason for his longevity. "Everything in moderation & avoid cucumbers" was his reply. Also, he lives with us & eats EVERYTHING put in front of him; especially curry