A to Z of castles

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
beachcomber

A to Z of castles

Post by beachcomber »

I enjoyed the churches and am still enjoying the bridges, military pics and Nauti threads. They have fitted in with my plan to take more photos whilst on rides.
So does any one want to join in with an A to Z of castles. Not restricted to the UK because I can't imagine we could get all the letters within the UK.
I'll kick off with an A.
Auckland Castle at Bishop Auckland. Previous address of the Bishop Of Durham.
Auckland castle  sign.jpg
Auckland castle sign.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Auckland castle gate.jpg
Auckland castle gate.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Auckland castle_.jpg
Auckland castle_.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
DavidT

Re: A to Z of castles

Post by DavidT »

Damn. I don't do photos on the forum, but with this thread I was all inspired to post a pic of my local Belvoir Castle (pron: Beever btw :wink: ), but now realise that for some reason I can't upload. "File too big" or something. :evil: :oops: Hey ho, guess I'll have to do some practicing? In the meantime good luck to whoever gets the "B".
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

I intended to revisit Belvoir Castle last week, but didn't make it. I was impressed on my last visit by the inventory of wines and beers served to visitors in the day when those of noble birth would be extended hospitality for their party en route to and from London. I forget the amounts but it makes the present day accusations of binge drinking pale into insignificance.

For B there is of course the fabulous Bamburgh. Anyone who's ridden Coast and castles must be in with a good chance of snapping that.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

beachcomber wrote:So does any one want to join in with an A to Z of castles.

Good call, beachcomber.
I was going to suggest this thread myself in a couple of weeks, in time for the unveiling of a "new" castle.
Hopefully, this thread will still be going by then, so I'll leave you to ponder..... :?
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

I think a photograph of Barbara Castle on a bike would be okay for letter B. :lol:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Is the thread restricted to castles or are other fortifications admissable? Lots of Napoleonic stuff in the area, not so much Norman.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Fortifications sounds good. We are spoilt for castles in this area but some parts of the country would be challenged in the castle dept.
I think we should make it pre 1900 to exclude Great war and Second World War fortifications. Those could form a later thread of their own. I'd be happy to see pics of the Forts above Portsmouth and the like, built C1860s. Let's be flexible but no sand castles for 'S'
I feel the need for a trip through N-Yorks, Co Durham and Northumberland. Mind you, there are some superb castles dawn sarf. Leeds,Dover,Corfe and then there's Wales. I can see the miles totting up as I type. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've already got a C, and we have two Ls near here.

I think we may have a problem with X and Z yet again!
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i've already got the L. does it need to be taken specially for the thread, as i'm currently cameraless :cry:
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

fausto copy wrote:
beachcomber wrote:So does any one want to join in with an A to Z of castles.

Good call, beachcomber.
I was going to suggest this thread myself in a couple of weeks, in time for the unveiling of a "new" castle.
Hopefully, this thread will still be going by then, so I'll leave you to ponder..... :?

Would this "Castle" be brought to us by the colour green and the letters GWR?
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

when i saw that, i thought it'd get some of you fired up
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

Mick F wrote:I've already got a C, and we have two Ls near here.

I think we may have a problem with X and Z yet again!

I may well cycle past Zaragoza, and it has a castle (though technically not called Zaragoza castle). I'm sure there's somewhere between barcelona and bilbao (basque or catalan) that has a castle and begins with an X.

cheers
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

there's a joke to be had there. something about putting all your basques into one exit?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

DavidT wrote:Damn. I don't do photos on the forum, but with this thread I was all inspired to post a pic of my local Belvoir Castle (pron: Beever btw :wink: ), but now realise that for some reason I can't upload. "File too big" or something. :evil: :oops: Hey ho, guess I'll have to do some practicing? In the meantime good luck to whoever gets the "B".

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

pete75 wrote:
DavidT wrote:Damn. I don't do photos on the forum, but with this thread I was all inspired to post a pic of my local Belvoir Castle (pron: Beever btw :wink: ), but now realise that for some reason I can't upload. "File too big" or something. :evil: :oops: Hey ho, guess I'll have to do some practicing? In the meantime good luck to whoever gets the "B".

Was this shot taken from the seat of your Airbourne Zeppelin bike? :lol: