Football Bores

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
R_nger

Re: Football Bores

Post by R_nger »

Okay, I have a confession...I am a footieholic.

I sleep, eat, drink, watch, play and talk football. What a bore :wink:

And, in common with some earlier posters, Tottenham are my team (born that way !) and I regularly attend with my daughter. My wife and son are Liverpool fans, so I guess there's no excitement in our house :( :cry:

I'm not sure that rugby should be held up as a good example of how to behave in sport...there have been countless high profile cases of bad behaviour (on and off the pitch) recently...including a number of coaches in trouble for criticising referees and players misbehaving at every opportuinity (you don't get many football players thrown off tours at the request of his team mates !)

I also ride a bike at every opportunity, which sounds as though it may be the only thing I have in common with most others here ! TBH, I'm a little disappointed with some of the posts on this thread, feels a bit like I'd expect on a DM discussion :o

Anyway, back to the bike :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

R_nger wrote:TBH, I'm a little disappointed with some of the posts on this thread, feels a bit like I'd expect on a DM discussion :o

Don't be daft.
Has anyone suggested it'd be your own fault if you were killed for watching football? Or indeed that if they saw you watching they'd be well within their rights to kill you on the spot?

I thought not. Therefore it's not a DM discussion and the case is closed. :wink:
jan19

Post by jan19 »

And, in common with some earlier posters, Tottenham are my team

Ah, now let me make it quite clear because its important we don't have any confusion over this - Spurs are NOT my team. I just wanted them to beat Man City last night. Being a Londoner born and bred, I always support the London team against anyone else they play against. Unless they're Charlton or Millwall in which case I'll support whoever else they're playing. :P

Jan :D
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

pete75 wrote:
Jonty wrote:Alice - I don't see what's ethical about not having weapons to defend yourself, being unable to buy oil to put on your bicycle chain and in your car, and not smoking and thereby living to an old age and thus becoming a burden on the taxpayer.
All this ethical investment investment stuff is a load of old tosh IMHO. :wink:
jonty

Jonty From you've said here before it sounds like you worked in the public sector, have a public sector pension and so are a burden on the taxpayer.

I've 6 pensions equally divided between private and public sectors. :lol:
jonty
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jonty wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Jonty wrote:Alice - I don't see what's ethical about not having weapons to defend yourself, being unable to buy oil to put on your bicycle chain and in your car, and not smoking and thereby living to an old age and thus becoming a burden on the taxpayer.
All this ethical investment investment stuff is a load of old tosh IMHO. :wink:
jonty

Jonty From you've said here before it sounds like you worked in the public sector, have a public sector pension and so are a burden on the taxpayer.

I've 6 pensions equally divided between private and public sectors. :lol:
jonty

So you're half a burden on the taxpayer :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Pete - you're right of course. I wonder if I'll be able to cope with my feelings of guilt? :wink:
jonty
R_nger

Post by R_nger »

kwackers wrote:Don't be daft.

Fair enough ! :lol: A bad day at the office probably meant I failed to see the funny side of these
Tonyf33 wrote:Soccer as I always refer to it as, is a boorish game supported and played by oomans who in large swathes appear to have certain distainful traits. Cheating, thuggary, sporadic violent tendancies (& that's just the spivs & the fans)

Jonty wrote:And for the twits who pay £20 to go and watch grown men playing with a spherical object instead of getting on their bikes or watching paint dry, words fail me... :( jonty

I cheered up when I read this though
kwackers wrote:Therefore it's not a DM discussion and the case is closed. :wink:

Absolutely !
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

What does DM mean?
jonty
brother nathaneil

Post by brother nathaneil »

R_nger wrote:Okay, I have a confession...I am a footieholic.

I sleep, eat, drink, watch, play and talk football. What a bore :wink: :D
Me too.
The thing that really makes me laugh is the general thought on this thread, of the "Tribal Football Fan" being an oaf whilst spouting how much better us cyclists are than them football fans.
Sounds very tribal to me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

brother nathaneil wrote:
R_nger wrote:Okay, I have a confession...I am a footieholic.

I sleep, eat, drink, watch, play and talk football. What a bore :wink: :D
Me too.
The thing that really makes me laugh is the general thought on this thread, of the "Tribal Football Fan" being an oaf whilst spouting how much better us cyclists are than them football fans.
Sounds very tribal to me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously you're a football fan! Please don't puncture one of my most cherished prejudices :wink: .
jonty
Ben acre

Post by Ben acre »

Yup I am not a footy fan but love my cycling, I don't talk about that! I am a private person and keep myself to myself but cos I dont like footy I get ignored. Even treated like and odd ball (excuse the pun.)
brother nathaneil

Post by brother nathaneil »

Ben acre wrote:Even treated like and odd ball
Nah, the "odd balls" are the rugby fans :lol:
I'm a fan of all sport to be honest, my wife says I'd watch tiddly-winks if it was on sky sports... Mind you, VERY technical game :lol:
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jonty wrote:Pete - you're right of course. I wonder if I'll be able to cope with my feelings of guilt? :wink:
jonty

Well if it helps all the Condem politicians who spout about public sector pensions being a burden on the taxpayer are individually a much bigger burden and that's even before they start drawing their most generous of all pensions :(
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
fimm

Post by fimm »

Edwards wrote:
fimm wrote:Babies. Their offspring. Small things that eat, sleep, yell, and make a mess

I thought that men talked about making babies not looking after them. :roll: :wink:

:lol:
No, with this lot it is all about what their sprog has done now.
Of course it's a race...
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I hate football, never been interested and if asked, I say I don't support any team because no team supports me.
Back in the days when I was a new homeowner (or is that mortgage payer) and interest rates were at the heady rates of 18%, I had a neighbour, young chap such as myself, who was footie mad and watched every game possible. I knew when he was watching games because there was a constant stream of the filthy obscenities shouted at the top of his voice.
Then one day it was announced on the news that the BoE had reduced interest rates. Being next to the connecting wall and knowing that he was at home, I shouted "Yeeees Yes Yes" as loud as I possibly could. Most satisfying 8)