Don't be shy!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

I am not easily offended, nor am I a prude, I expressed an opinion which I didn't personalise. Unfortunately, it resulted in a personalised riposte which had all the subtlety of a thermonuclear strike. I replied, maybe I should have let it die, which provoked another OTT response that speculates wrongly again. Perhaps, our correspondent has an anger management problem? He has right to post his opinions too, however ill informed or misspelled they might be.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nicely put Mrs T.

Least said, soonest mended.

Not that I'm expressing an opinion, or taking sides!

Regards,
Mick
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

post deleted.
Last edited by Charlie on 3 Apr 2007, 12:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Charlie

When a new thread is started, nobody can forecast its length or outcome and nobody could have expected that 10 guys on one tandem would have provoked such a wide-ranging discussion. I wonder if they are 'on the rivet' or rather 'on the rivets' belting down some eternal pot-hole free highway in the sky and looking down on us. :?: :?: :?:
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

I think the following is worth reading regarding guidelines for posting on Message Board:

Aim
The CTC message boards are intended to provide an online meeting place for the cycling community - open to members and non-members alike (currently) . We hope that the boards develop and maintain a reputation for friendliness, inclusiveness, helpfulness & knowledge.

General Guidelines
Please be aware, it is notoriously easy to cause offence on message boards by, for instance, a poor choice of words or providing inadequate context. Thus we would urge practising diplomacy in your posts wherever controversy emerges. This isn't to say you cannot have frank exchange of views with those you know to be robust posters. However, avoid personal attacks - please stick to the subject of the debate.
If you think things are getting out of hand or are subject to personal attack - do NOT respond - contact a moderator.

That's why I tend to avoid sex, religion and politics as such topics do tend to get overly emotional and I believe they are best discussed in the appropriate arena, which is not always the CTC Message Board.

Charlie

I hardly consider your previous posting supports the overall tenant of guidelines for postings, particularly as those who made comments that were deemed untoward had the good grace to apologise. You comments do rather border on a personal attack, particularly as the comments associated with the pictures were not particularly tasteful.

Thirdcrank

You have my support as I thought your original picture was quite a good one.

All

Time to put his one to bed?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Oracle wrote:Thirdcrank

You have my support as I thought your original picture was quite a good one.

Not half as good as Charlie's :wink: (10 = 2 x 5)

Incidentally, I am a only a vary rare visitor to the Cycling + but I followed your link on the World Champs thread. Be careful with the typos. Anybody like me whose typing often looks as thouugh it was done in boxing gloves understands :wink: :wink: (and I can only do wink wink because there are no little faces going :nod: :nod:) but there are those who are quick to make assumptions about the subconscious. :roll:
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

I know someone who would accept 90% correct if it got the message across and I think it did, judged by the end result. Just shows I do live my life by “better to light a candle than complain about the dark” after all. Also, could not be bothered to edit post for corrections.

As you know I don't make assumptions and always try to remain objective (helps being of Vulcan blood) but I did think 'what the hell' with that one, just for fun I suppose, and C+ can get on a very high horse at times.

Interesting post at C+ regards Highway Code that will not doubt show up on Message Board:

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... _ID=125970
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The lady on the left (first Picnic pic) is saying, "When I heard that the CTC was the most passionate group of cyclists in the country, little did I realise that that only referred to shared-use cycle routes." :oops:

(Confused? :? :idea: Read the vision statement
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I posted this just to ask what had happened to Charlie, but I see his pic of the 10 seater in the OT has also gone, unless that is just my computer?
thirdcrank

Re: Don't be shy!

Post by thirdcrank »

As the result of something published in the Sunday T today, I found this link to a modern version of a five-seater tandem, now on exhibition in the Tate Gallery. It reminded me of this thread. Unfortunately, what started as good humour, ended up turning a bit sour. Where are they now? It would be good if they let bygones be bygones and came back.

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/sta ... no1-t11819
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Pedersen's are supposed to be slightly flexible. I wonder if the machine sags in the middle if it is fully loaded. I guess we are unlikely to find out.

Thirdcrank, I really enjoyed your description of groupseats.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

7_lives_left wrote:Pedersen's are supposed to be slightly flexible. I wonder if the machine sags in the middle if it is fully loaded. I guess we are unlikely to find out.

Thirdcrank, I really enjoyed your description of groupseats.

I thank you! :D One or two allusions in there that are now well past their sell-by date eg the stuff about the CTC president. We had a firestorm on here over John Snow.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:............. John Snow.
Who's he?

:wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:............. John Snow.
Who's he?

:wink:

I think TC meant 'Jon'. I wasn't on this place at that time, but I remember the furore that erupted over on ACF. Mostly down to one forummer who repeated herself about a dozen times, until I stepped in with a post saying "shall we assume, that you've made your point?". At which juncture all the venom was re-directed towards yours truly. I wasn't properly in the clique, you see, so I was out of order criticising a cliquista. (*sigh*). Those were the days.... I've calmed down a bit, since.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ClappedOut

Re:

Post by ClappedOut »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 May 2007, 9:22pm Image

I posted this just to ask what had happened to Charlie, but I see his pic of the 10 seater in the OT has also gone, unless that is just my computer?
http://threemenonabike.org/2010/09/pmt- ... de-horror/
Attachments
Simon-Terry-on-Tandem11.jpg