Tea Shoppes.....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
eileithyia

Re: Tea Shoppes.....

Post by eileithyia »

horizon wrote:I want to go back to the OP. Basically Costa and the others do have a well packaged formula that gets it right; open on Sundays, comfy chairs, sit as long as you like, good drinks, choice of snacks, good locations etc. You cannot help but frequent them as they are placed strategically in your face - they are planned that way. And all the others - MacDonalds, Travelodge, Shell etc - also have well packaged formulas: that's how they are replicated successfully from town to town around the world. The problem for touring cyclists is that we want the real thing - we want what Lavenham or Ludlow has to offer, not the same experience from Los Angeles everytime, everywhere. A cyclist over the age of say 40 will have a reasonable memory of all sorts of places, companies, shops etc. But a young person will now be hemmed in by Orange, Microsoft, Tesco, KFC, H&M etc etc wherever they go or whatever they do (I'm trying to remember whether Malaga airport differed in any way from Gatwick...) I choose not to go to Costa now, but it won't be long before there is no choice. But that will be our choice.

But as i said there is no choice in Frodsham the tea shoppe does not and as far as I am aware has never been open on a Sunday, I alwasy felt this was an oversight, that no one had thought to open a tea shoppe on Sundays. My experience of Costa is that they are filling a gap, I would gladly have gone to a tea shoppe had there been a choice. The fact that the place was busy, lively and buzzing shows they are filling a need within the town.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've no answer to that. I've used a Costa on a couple of occasions - in one the fridge was very noisy and at the other the hot chocolate was tepid and the music too loud. But these are just everyday things and apply to other places too - everything else was as it should be. No, I think I have tried to step back from it and accept that these multiples find and occupy a well earned niche.

That leaves us though with the question of cultural homogeneity and the loss of uniqueness. I am not sure whether this is a general fact of life or more specific to our capitalist age. The only thing that worries me is that this US-led (but very British too) way of delivering services removes something special from cycle touring or travelling of any kind. The recent adverts for Holiday Inn trumpeted them as places where "the discovery begins": that's quite a brazen claim as it's obvious to any intelligent person that it is precisely at Holiday Inn where every vestige of local colour and variation is ruthlessly wiped out - and they know it.

Another little footnote on this is that maybe Costa and the others just make life too easy.... but that is for another time.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hubgearfreak wrote:but the pot of jam isn't going to get him booking a wedding at the tea shop is it?

No, but if he tells all of his cyclists friends that they have good service (and nice jam, too) and they stop there, and some forumites sopt on the their way through... Then, they've got the tea shop equivalent.

As for Costa, they recently displaced another chain coffee shop near me, and the prices went up and food quality down. I won't be back.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I popped into the town centre Costa the other day to see if a friend (who works there) was there. There was a queue to the door, but my friend wasn't there, so I went 'round the corner to my favourite cafe and got a take-away cappucino for 1/3 less and no queue to stand in. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Blimey, you lot don't half spend some time (and money!) in tea/coffee shops. I just take whatever I fancy from the house before I leave, sod eating/drinking out every time I fancy a ride!

As for these establishments- I wouldn't even know if there was one in my town, never mind how it compares to any of the others (if there are any!).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I thought the point of cycling was to get to the cakes :mrgreen:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I thought the point of cycling was to get to the cakes :mrgreen:

Exactly,this is a fundemental principle of cycling.
Our fellow forum member misses the whole point of cycling if he doesn't understand this simple rule :shock: .
Theres not much point in having a name like a horse if you don't eat like one now is there? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Oh I can put it away, I just eat a lot before and after and not when I'm out :mrgreen:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Trigger wrote:Oh I can put it away, I just eat a lot before and after and not when I'm out :mrgreen:

I that case you're excused! :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden