Tea Shoppes.....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Re: Tea Shoppes.....

Postby fausto copy » 30 May 2011, 10:46pm

I'm sure my Mum told me t'other day that the Garden Centre between the River Weaver Bridge and Frodsham Swingbridge has just opened a cafe. They're bound to serve tea, and it's not one of the Big Chain Garden centres either!
Hope the helps, e.

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 30 May 2011, 11:03pm

reohn2 wrote:Good coffee and tea for me is a sure sign of good service and not instant cheap coffee or bitter cheap teabags

i get that bit. i'd be annoyed at paying proper coffe prices for a cup of instant. as for cheap tea bags, or tea made with merely hot water :evil:

reohn2 wrote:fancied some jam with it,went back to the counter only to be told it would be an extra 30pence, I declined on principle.

it annoys me that folk think food should come with free stuff. if you go to a bike shop and buy a bike, you don't then ask for a free trailer. if you went to an offy for a bottle of scotch, would you expect free fags with it? perhaps when you're in B&Q for paint, you request a brush but refuse to pay for it? why should an egg be free in a bacon butty, or jam free on a teacake? what's the principle of getting more than you pay for?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 30 May 2011, 11:04pm

fausto copy wrote:I'm sure my Mum told me t'other day that the Garden Centre between the River Weaver Bridge and Frodsham Swingbridge has just opened a cafe. They're bound to serve tea, and it's not one of the Big Chain Garden centres either!
Hope the helps, e.

I've ridden past it quite a bit,it looks a bit like a trailer type thingy :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 30 May 2011, 11:07pm

I'm sure my Mum wouldn't be using trailer type thingys, John.
She only frequents tea shoppe type thingys. :wink:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 30 May 2011, 11:16pm

hubgearfreak wrote:
reohn2 wrote:fancied some jam with it,went back to the counter only to be told it would be an extra 30pence, I declined on principle.

it annoys me that folk think food should come with free stuff. if you go to a bike shop and buy a bike, you don't then ask for a free trailer. if you went to an offy for a bottle of scotch, would you expect free fags with it? perhaps when you're in B&Q for paint, you request a brush but refuse to pay for it? why should an egg be free in a bacon butty, or jam free on a teacake? what's the principle of getting more than you pay for?

OK,
I frequent a Tearoom at Dunham village called Dog Lavender,I decent coffee with an extra shot and two slices of toast cost £2.10p and she always give me jam with it.
If I have a veggie breakfast at Rose Farm cafe at Utkinton she always gives a slice of toast with it.
If I have a scone at High Legh Garden centre the ladies there always give me jam with it.
If Mrs R2 asks for hot milk with her morning coffee at Costa (any branch) they don't bat an eye and give her some.
If I get get a cup of tea they always give me milk with it,even though I don't drink milk.
If I order a bowl of soup I get a crusty roll with it.

Now tell me Hubbers what does a spoonful of jam cost these days,and what constitutes good service?
You throw it out,it comes back.A bit like a boomerang :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 May 2011, 11:22pm, edited 2 times in total.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 30 May 2011, 11:17pm

fausto copy wrote:I'm sure my Mum wouldn't be using trailer type thingys, John.
She only frequents tea shoppe type thingys. :wink:

Could be my mistake I've only eyed it as I've passed by, never actually stopped there :oops:

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 30 May 2011, 11:21pm

reohn2 wrote:Now tell me Hubbers what does a spoonful of jam cost these days?

do they have jam in spoonfulls, or are they microjars? if the latter, i imagine the cost is a significant chunk of the profit off the teacake. like a brush to a tin of paint

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 30 May 2011, 11:31pm

hubgearfreak wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Now tell me Hubbers what does a spoonful of jam cost these days?

do they have jam in spoonfulls, or are they microjars? if the latter, i imagine the cost is a significant chunk of the profit off the teacake. like a brush to a tin of paint

I've got more work doing the odd job for someone than I can remember.
I was once doing a job for someone when the old lady next door asked if I could do anything for her dripping tap,I put her a new washer on and didn't charge her as I had the washer on the van and it took me about ten minutes.
I fitted two of her friends houses with windows and built her son a £9,000 extension of that tap washer :wink:

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 30 May 2011, 11:32pm

so, were they microjars? :lol:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 May 2011, 7:51am

hubgearfreak wrote:so, were they microjars? :lol:

No,peel top square plastic tubs,but ultimately thats not my problem,its they that have the problem in that they haven't thought outside those little bloo@y plastic tubs that are so sodding anonnying to open instead of dipping a spoon into a macrojar of jam* to satisfy** their customers needs.

*They could even have a choice of jam types,or even Marmalade,Lemon Curd,or another sweet preserve that those annoying people who keep disturbing them when they're having a chat or texting their boy/girlfriends whilst twirling their hair with the same hand they're about serve me with,may require to make their day and pay their wages :roll:

**Satisfy:-http://www.webdictionary.co.uk/definition.php?query=satisfy

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 31 May 2011, 8:06am

reohn2 wrote:No,peel top square plastic tubs,but ultimately thats not my problem,its they that have the problem in that they haven't thought outside those little bloo@y plastic tubs that are so sodding anonnying to open instead of dipping a spoon into a macrojar of jam* to satisfy** their customers needs.

it doesn't take much adversity to risk on behalf of the management to find these to be the safer stock to have as opposed to a 1lb jar.
as for sodding annoying, are you familiar with the televisual entertainment that goes by the name of grumpy old men? :lol:

the other examples you've given are like buying a car, to find that the seatbelts and tyres came free. ie. it's to be expected.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 May 2011, 8:10am

I'll leave it at that before I get really grumpy!

GrahamNR17

Postby GrahamNR17 » 31 May 2011, 8:34am

reohn2 wrote:I've got more work doing the odd job for someone than I can remember.
I was once doing a job for someone when the old lady next door asked if I could do anything for her dripping tap,I put her a new washer on and didn't charge her as I had the washer on the van and it took me about ten minutes.
I fitted two of her friends houses with windows and built her son a £9,000 extension of that tap washer :wink:

You are plainly a decent chap, with old-fashioned values and a well-honed understanding of decency. It's what separates you from the faceless national firms, and doubtless why people speak well of you to their friends and neighbours 8)

I'm with you on this one, you give the proverbial 'little pot of jam' to make your customers feel special and valued, and in return they think you're special and value you being there for them when they need you.

Please accept my 'virtual' award for being a thoroughly good egg :mrgreen:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 May 2011, 9:11am

GrahamNR17 wrote:You are plainly a decent chap, with old-fashioned values and a well-honed understanding of decency. It's what separates you from the faceless national firms, and doubtless why people speak well of you to their friends and neighbours 8)

I'm with you on this one, you give the proverbial 'little pot of jam' to make your customers feel special and valued, and in return they think you're special and value you being there for them when they need you.

Please accept my 'virtual' award for being a thoroughly good egg :mrgreen:

Thanks Graham :oops: its nice to be appreciated and I accept the award graciously.However the freaky ones amongst us,well,err,hmm................ :mrgreen:

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 31 May 2011, 10:19am

GrahamNR17 wrote:You are plainly a decent chap, with old-fashioned values and a well-honed understanding of decency. It's what separates you from the faceless national firms, and doubtless why people speak well of you to their friends and neighbours 8)

i get all that and agree, both about the tap washer & R2. but the pot of jam isn't going to get him booking a wedding at the tea shop is it? no, it'll just lead everyone to expect free jam and make teacakes go up in price, both for those that want jam and those that don't. ie. we'll be subsidisiing those with a sweet tooth.