The Leicestershire Sahara

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jonty

The Leicestershire Sahara

Post by Jonty »

If we don't get rain soon my allotment will turn into a mini wilderness. I do a rain dance every morning. The price of food is set to rocket.
jonty
fausto copy

Re: The Leicestershire Sahara

Post by fausto copy »

I blame all the people growing rocket. :P
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

I planted a line of 'mixed' lettuce seed in the garden, four different types in one seed packet. I was really disappointed that the only type to grow was the rocket.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was going to post this as a separate subject, but the lack of rain part of it fits in here quite well.

We've not had proper rain here since last autumn. We had a dry winter - though lots of snow and ice and frost - and a dry spring to follow. I don't have the figures to hand, but I reckon it's not rained for months.

Yes, we've had rain, but not proper worthwhile rain. Any rain we've had has either been torrential and washed away in an hour, or gentle rain that's lasted no more than a few hours. The ground is dry, and the farmers are worried. Frost and bitter cold has wiped out many veg crops, and there seems no let-up for the stuff that's trying to grow.

This gets me onto another of my hobby-horses - "prevailing winds".

I reckon that since October/November last year, the winds have been mainly from the east. Easterlies are dry and cold, westerlies warm and damp, and we've had mainly easterlies, hence the dry weather.

Only today, June 3rd, the wind is a brisk easterly here as it has been almost without fail. I was battling against it all along the Old A30 from Launceston earlier.

Anyone cycling LEJOG this year will be having a hard time.
Mick F. Cornwall
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

Diddums. That nice weather making you sad? :wink:

The rain is usually what makes the northwest a laughing stock (well that and all the poor people whinging about the economy they don't want to be involved in), but now we're getting a taste of normal southern weather with moderate occasional rain 8) :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's hot in here!

20odd degrees outside with hardly a cloud in the sky, and I've just lit the fire.

Why?
We need the hot water - well, I need it coz I want a shower! Hot and sweaty after a ride today and no hot water. Yes, I could put the immersion heater on, but our firewood is free. I won't bother with a towel, I'll just stand outside and dry in the Cornish sunshine. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Nutsey wrote:Diddums. That nice weather making you sad? :wink:

The rain is usually what makes the northwest a laughing stock (well that and all the poor people whinging about the economy they don't want to be involved in), but now we're getting a taste of normal southern weather with moderate occasional rain 8) :lol:

And there was me thinking it was you effete, effeminate southerners who are the laughing stock....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Only when the latté drinking southern nonces are fighting over the last bagged salad in Waitrose will it become national headlines, until then it's just northerners moaning.

Just like when they had a couple of inches of snow the other year and ground to a halt, watching the news you'd think it was the apocalypse and yet anybody north of Watford must've been thinking astonishing :?
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Only when the latté drinking southern nonces are fighting over the last bagged salad in Waitrose will it become national headlines, until then it's just northerners moaning.

Except we southern "nonces" (sorry, don't know the word, but its obviously a mild insult) are really, really struggling with the lack of rain. We've had nothing really significant since April, and all our lawns and roadside verges are brown and dry. I've never seen this so early in the year - late July maybe, but not early June.

Its going to make a really big difference to the amount of produce we "nonces" are able to produce. We went out for a ride tonight and were startled by how brown the fields are. I've watered my two apple trees copiously, but we're being warned that we may be facing a hosepipe ban soon, so I'm hoping the apple seedings already set will ripen enough.

Oh, and I don't drink latte. A cup of bog-standard instant is fine, thanks.

Jan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

But another southern nonce "Nutsey" says what the rest the country is having is normal southern weather and we shoudl stop complaining about it... It may not matter much when it happens to you lot but here in Lincolnshire where more food is produced than any two other counties combined it is likely to be a problem for more than just us and you'll be moaning about food prices if the lack of water continues.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

Water is free here in Ireland, no rates.

I've just put the sprinkler on the lawn :evil:

Mind you, it never STOPS raining for more than about 10 minutes..
jan19

Post by jan19 »

But another southern nonce "Nutsey" says what the rest the country is having is normal southern weather and we shoudl stop complaining about it... It may not matter much when it happens to you lot but here in Lincolnshire where more food is produced than any two other counties combined it is likely to be a problem for more than just us and you'll be moaning about food prices if the lack of water continues.

Its not "normal southern weather". We may get less rain and warmer weather in the south, but we get SOME rain. This year, as I said we've had barely any, and our fields and gardens are really suffering. We are used to reasonably dry summers, but this is exceptional. I'm not saying anywhere else isn't suffering too, I'm merely commenting on the situation here. What Nutsey says is his own opinion.

Yes, we'll probably all be moaning if the price of food goes up. It will affect everyone, no matter which part of the country they live in. We're all struggling with our crops - it may affect some regional economies like Lincolnshire's more than it will other areas which don't grow a lot of crops, but we'll all pay the price in the shops.

Jan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It drizzled this afternoon.
We brought the washing in off the line just in case, but it could have stayed out.

Bright, but cloudy-ish now.
Mick F. Cornwall
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Oh joy, today we've had RAIN! Not just a drizzle, but several hours of the real stuff.

I was all prepared to go out again tonight with the hosepipe but for the first time in weeks I don't have to.

Having said that, I did push my finger into my pots on the patio, and in site of today's rain, its still very dry below a couple of fingers' depth. We need a lot more.

Jan
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

A plentiful supply of rain is essential for a clean and healthy environment. It cleans the air, helps crops, grass and trees to survive and grow, and ensures the survival of fish such as trout and salmon and otters which feed on them. Most good salmon and trout rivers are in nothern England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland which have copious amounts of rain.
Also it cleans our houses and streets.
The Midlands and the South East need more of it!
jonty