Recipes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 13 Jul 2008, 8:59pm

Well, even better then Dee Jay. I am always being asked for gluten free cakes. This is possible with your carrot cake I believe..... with a bit of moderation that is.

Gonna get some gluten free bread, make it into crumbs (not hard is this as its already nearly there when you buy it) replace the flour wiht gluten free breadcrumbs, perhaps add bi carb to help lighten and then try it as a tray bake.....

Think I might practice it for our own bakes we are taking on the cycle run in 2 weeks time.

I sold all our fruit tray bake to a group of cyclists at tynwald! lol

Mary

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 13 Jul 2008, 9:11pm

The BEST fudge youve ever made and ever eaten.

This is a secret recipe.... so dont tell a soul...... shhhhh

One whole 400g tin of condensed milk.
12 oz of caster sugar
5 oz of butter (please dont use margarine, it really tastes horrible with it.
Real vanilla, not that synthetic nasty stuff.
Deep heavy bottomed sauce pan.

Greased tin (with butter, not margarine) of a non-stickish tray pan. About 7" square or a round one, but you will get bevelled edges to your fudge.

Put condensed milk, sugar and butter into pan.

Over a lowish heat (sorry Im not more specific, I use a rubbish Aga sadly.... enforced into kitchen slavery I am....)

Heat the buttery, c. milk and sugar together stir with long handled wooden spoon. Make sure its in a deep pan to prevent it over boiling. Slowly bring to the boil stir all the time.

Watch for a colour change initially. It should start to turn a caramel colour. Stir to prevent sticking to pan and subsequently burning on the base of your thick bottomed pan.

ONce you notice the colour change, start to watch the contents of the pan thickening up. Contents should start to boil rather like porridge does, thick and gloupy. When it starts to not want to stick to the sides of the pan its nearly ready.

When it is ready, it will be a good caramel colour and will leave sort of stringy bits when stirred away from the pan bottom and sides.

Remove from heat. Pour into hot fudge the vanilla extract and beat the contents of the pan.

Carefully while wearing full protective clothing cos fudge is very very hot, empty contents into the greased 7" tray. Allow to set. When almost cool enough to cut, score with knife.

In the mean time, pour cold water into the pan you heated the fudge in, and stand back for the rest of the family as they dig into the bits stuck to the edges! Its this point you will love the best! Smiley faces all round.

Its very hard for this to go wrong. Most wrongness is taking it off the heat before its ready.

If it fails, it makes superb sauce for ice cream by the way.

But its never failed for me... that is unless you try to double the recipe up. Ive never ever been successful with fudge making using the recipe above doubled up.

Enjoy..... YOur dentist will love the new car you will be providing him with!

Mary

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 13 Jul 2008, 9:48pm

Manx Cat wrote:
Well, even better then Dee Jay. I am always being asked for gluten free cakes.

Aah ... I see, well, yes ... that's perfect then.

This is possible with your carrot cake I believe..... with a bit of moderation that is. Gonna get some gluten free bread, make it into crumbs (not hard is this as its already nearly there when you buy it) replace the flour wiht gluten free breadcrumbs, perhaps add bi carb to help lighten and then try it as a tray bake.....

I have made it with rye flour with 2 tsps bicarb as well as 2 tsps baking powder. Rye is gluten-free? No?

Think I might practice it for our own bakes we are taking on the cycle run in 2 weeks time.

I sold all our fruit tray bake to a group of cyclists at tynwald! lol

I'm not suprised to hear it, if it's anything like your condensed milk fudge. Thank you for that! I love condensed milk fudge but have never had the recipe.

Let me know how the gluten-free version works out?

What about Tru-Free?

Mary
Dee

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 14 Jul 2008, 9:59am

Asdace wrote:I would like some nice tasty camping recipes. I do have a Trangia 27 and probably is some budding cycling cooks out there.

depending where you are a ratatouille works well in a trangia :D

if it's a pleasant evening, and you're in italy or the south of france near to an open air market then just get some courgette, onion, garlic, tomato, pepper, herbs, olive oil and fry off some of it, then add the rest along with half a bottle of the local read table wine and simmer while you drink the other half. when it's simmered to a mushy pulp (only a trangia can do this - i doubt whether a fierce gas or petrol cooker could be on a sufficiently low setting) open bottle two and eat with the crusty bread you also had the foresight to buy.

Manx Cat wrote:Any one want my fudge recipe..? (Won first prize for the past 7 years on the trot at our local agricultural show with this! :lol:)

yes please :mrgreen: fudge, yum yum

gaz

Re: Recipes

Postby gaz » 14 Jul 2008, 2:45pm

Mick F wrote:Do you think we should have a “Recipes” section on this forum?

I thought you'd started one already, well almost.

Very easy recipes.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 14 Jul 2008, 10:27pm

For those of you who camp out. (brave souls each and every one of you... I bow to the greater life forms).

OK... cycling needs carbs Yes?

One thing that is super dooper fast to prepare, only needs hot water and some flavour is low GI, high fibre (not too high so you can retain it for long enough), and filling and high in energy - slow release energy.

Bulgar wheat.

Not much good if your wheat intolerant of course, but if you are not.. its prepared thus.

One packet of bulgar wheat. Pour into suitable container. Pour on boiling water. The bulgar wheat will double in size and requires no cooking other than the boiling water and about 5 minutes.

I use this a lot at home as a basic cooking ingredient.

This evening, were short of stuff. But bulgar wheat with soya sauce added to it was the carb staple for this evenings meal. The bulgar was left to soak while I fried an onion, added soya sauce, one rasher of smoked bacon some chicken chunks and then when the meat was cooked added the bulgar wheat that had been soaking.

Then added a bit of balsamic cos I do like that.

It was cheap, quick as pants and very nice to be honest. Served with a green salad.

mary

gaz

Postby gaz » 14 Jul 2008, 10:31pm

Manx Cat wrote:One thing that is super dooper fast to prepare, only needs hot water and some flavour is low GI, high fibre (not too high so you can retain it for long enough), and filling and high in energy - slow release energy.

Bulgar wheat.

Also cous-cous.

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 15 Jul 2008, 10:57am

Asdace wrote:I would like some nice tasty camping recipes. I do have a Trangia 27 and probably is some budding cycling cooks out there.

This is similar to Manx Cat's bulgar wheat recipe - and you could do it with couscous, too. And answers a question I saw which was posed by Tommo, I think .... how do you make quinoa edible??

(You do have to cook quinoa for 10 minutes, though. Maybe you can get away without so doing .... not sure.....)

So: you boil up you quinoa for 10 minutes, and leave with a clean teatowel over the top and the lid on to absorb the last of the water.

You can either leave it to cool for a salad. Or you could add the cold ingredients while still warm for a ... erm ... warm salad!

You could add many things. I decide whether this is going to have a sweetish flavour or a savoury flavour.

I made the 'sweet' one with couscous for our recent Sports Day 'Cheese 'n' Ham 'n' Salad' Fundraiser: it went down well and several people asked for the recipe! (I had to admist that I had just 'invented' it!)

Sweet: chopped garlic/onion/ spring onions, grated ginger, chopped chilli, chopped peppers, chopped dried apricots, raisins/sultanas, grated carrot, zest of orange, juice of orange, olive oil, smoked paparika/cayenne pepper, harissa, mint/mint sauce, salt, pepper

Or the way I made it - with quinoa - yesterday which went down very well with my guests and I will have the last of it for lunch today!

Savoury:

Chopped garlic, chopped onion, chopped chilli, chopped pickled cucumbers, lemon zest, chopped basil, balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper.

The combine all ingredients and add to your couscous, quinoa or bulgar wheat.

Easy and delicious.

PS I have no idea what a Trangia 27 is!! Is it the done thing to admit this on this forum?? :)
Dee

Asdace

Postby Asdace » 17 Jul 2008, 12:30am

Trangia is a meths stove and 27 is the model no: which is the solo version.

My last camping trip was Pasta with Tuna and Sweeetcorn, only using a MSR Titanium Kettle. It works :wink:

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 17 Jul 2008, 6:35am

Asdace wrote:
Trangia is a meths stove and 27 is the model no: which is the solo version.

Aah, OK.

My last camping trip was Pasta with Tuna and Sweeetcorn, only using a MSR Titanium Kettle. It works :wink:

Very inventive. (And impressive.) I love this sort of cooking!

Dee

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 24 Jul 2008, 2:52pm

I made a great side dish to last night's supper:

Potato Balls

It ticks all the boxes: delicious, nutritious, economical, vegetarian, low(ish)GI, low-fat, eaten by obligatory fussy child in family and uses leftovers.

Oven on ... dunno... about 180.

Ingredients:

1 quantity leftover mashed potato

1/2/3 eggs (depending on amount of mash) lightly beaten

breadcrumbs (I blitz bread the day it is beyond even toasting but before mould sets in and then store in airtight container in the fridge)

quantity flour (any plain variety)

baking tray(s) - greased lightly (I use that olive oil spray stuff)

Method:

Take three bowls, one for the egg, one for flour, one for breadcrumbs

Form mash into balls the size of a large walnut/small plum. Roll in the flour, roll in the egg, roll in the breadcrumbs. (Gets a bit sticky....)

Place on greased baking tray.

Bake until lightly browned and crisp .... dunno ... about 25 minutes. Turn if you think it necessary about half-way.

Caution: very hot inside. But, very delicious.

Variation: I would have added some leftover chopped vegetables, if I had had any.

We had these with chicken salad.
Dee

stoobs

Postby stoobs » 24 Jul 2008, 4:49pm

For a really scrummy pud, just follow the Key Lime Pie recipe on the side of a Carnation condensed milk low-fat (what a laugh) can.

It's great. :D

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 24 Jul 2008, 6:24pm

Stoobs, if you like condensed milk low fat or otherwise, try the caramel version..... Oh... its really nice!

IT makes a great lazy bannaoffee pie (spelling?). Or you can simply crave it and scoff directly from the can... Have to share your you would be sick!

Mary

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 25 Jul 2008, 10:47am

Manx Cat wrote:Stoobs, if you like condensed milk low fat or otherwise, try the caramel version..... Oh... its really nice!

IT makes a great lazy bannaoffee pie (spelling?). Or you can simply crave it and scoff directly from the can... Have to share your you would be sick!

Mary

Yum!

And no, I am not sharing!!

Manxcat, have you tried dulce de leche? You would love *that*!

It also makes very good banoffee pie.
Dee

cycle cat

Chocolate brownies

Postby cycle cat » 7 Feb 2009, 5:25pm

Here's a recipe for Chocolate Brownies.

Makes 24 brownies.
100g plain chocolate
57g Anchor spreadable lighter
2 medium eggs
57g 0% fat Greek Yogurt
50g caster sugar
15g granulated sweetener
75g plain flour
50g chopped walnuts
Icing sugar for dusting

Set the oven to about 190 c, gas 5 or a bit less for a fan oven.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of hot water.
Leave to cool slightly then add the spread and the yogurt.

Beat the eggs sugar and sweetener together, the fold in the chocolate
mixture, the flour and the walnuts.
Spoon the mixture onto a swiss roll tin lined with greaseproof paper.

Bake for about 30 mins until jusst springy to the touch.

Leave to cool in the tin then cut into squares.

You can double up the recipe and freeze the brownies if you haven't eaten them all!
If you're wondering about the yogurt and sweetener, I lost rather a lot of weight with Slimming World and I like to make edible low fat cakes.