Recipes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete-oldversion

Postby 661-Pete-oldversion » 7 Feb 2009, 7:03pm

I see this is a long-standing thread recently 'bumped'. Great idea, I'm sure lots of folks must have good recipes to contribute!

I'll add this Soda Bread one: we do it quite often at home: quick and easy to make and really filling and satisfying in this cold winter we're having!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Irish Soda Bread

500g plain wholemeal flour
225g plain white flour
1-2 tsp salt
3 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
60g butter
1 tsp caster sugar
560ml buttermilk
milk

Heat the oven to 180°C before starting. This bread does not need time to rise!
Grease and dust with flour two baking sheets.
Sift both types of flour into large bowl. Add salt, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar, and sugar.
Rub in butter. Mix well.
Pour in buttermilk. Use a bit of extra milk to rinse out the buttermilk cartons and add to mixture, enough to form a soft dough.
Knead gently for not more than one minute, dusting with extra flour if necessary, until the dough is beginning to become less sticky. Do not overmix or bread will be heavy and tough.
Divide into two portions and shape into fairly flat rounds; dust lightly with flour and put on baking sheets.
Mark each loaf with a cross using sharp knife: cut fairly deep.
Bake for 40-45 minutes at 180°C; or until bread well risen. Cool on wire rack, serve warm.
This bread is at its best when freshly-baked!