Hand me downs.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dai

Post by Dai »

hubgearfreak wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:In the distant happy days of this pic, there was little stranger-danger )

there still is little danger...it's just blown out of proportion by the media

As an ex-editor and member of that there media I completely agree with you mon ami.
Children are probably in less danger now than they have ever been - you only have to study Victorian Britain to realise that.
The pendulum has now swung so far in favour of the child 'protectors' that it has become almost impossible for anybody that loves children to communicate with them. It's a bloody shame when you're scared to talk to kids in case some silly bugger takes it the wrong way. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. End of rant.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have no doubt there is a lot of exaggeration and over-reaction over this, which is what I was getting at in my comment about child protection watchdogs and the photograph. On the other hand, just because the press grossly exaggerates so many things, that does not mean they do not exist.

The motor car and the changes in urban living mean that anybody up to mischief (from burglary to blackmail) can range anonymously over a huge area. So-called 'care in the community' which often means leaving people with mental health problems to fend for themselves adds to the difficulties. When I was Johnmichaelagarsixsalisburyavenuearmleyleedstwelve and out playing on my tricycle (and I may yet appear in one of Charlie's All Our Yesterday's pic's :oops: ) anybody unusual in the street would have been under continual watch from behind countless net curtains.

It is only recently that it has become clear how many people have a sexual interest in children and the lengths they will go to to satisfy those interests.
pigman

Post by pigman »

bet the kid never fathered any children, but then maybe the nappy was very padded.

the frame looks about ok, but the gear ratio looks far too high