Grumble, grumble, grumble

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
blackbike

Re: Grumble, grumble, grumble

Post by blackbike »

Bowland Rider wrote:I saw the thread on Public sector pensions and it got me thinking. I live alone, no kids now or ever. Single income sucks 'cos council tax is 25% less, why isnt it 50% off? I work and pay lots of tax which goes towards everyone else's benefits. What is this, or other governments doing for Sinkies (single income, no kids). Nowt!

Single occupants don't receive a 25% discount on their council tax.

The enjoy a 50% surcharge on the tax the council expects from each adult in a two adult household, and that's the least of it.

My father now falls into this category, even though he paid taxes all through his working life and fathered three tax paying children. As a reward the council demands that he, a pensioner, pays it three times as much tax as each of the four employed adults who live next door, and whose earnings probably total at least 10 times what my father receives as a pension.

What an unfair system - it makes certain that many affluent, multiple income households have their local services costs subsidised by those much worse of than they are.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mick F wrote:We pay lots of tax and get nothing back.
Two of us living in a bungalow. 100% council tax.
We produce very little rubbish, no kids to educate, no street lights, rarely see the police, what do we get for our council tax?

No benefits, no support.
Nowt.

You might produce very little rubbish But I dont expect you want the council to wait six weeks to collect it.

I seem to remember not so long you being miserable because you couldn't get out. somebody cleared the roads. Even if they didn't clean your particular street the main roads were kept open to get the food through.

Local police and fire service all come out the budget and we all hope we'll never need them

You cycle on roads maintained by the council tax and national taxation.
libraries Street cleaning, Paliative care are all paid for by local taxation.
Even things like planning permission to stop the neighbours building a great big block of flats overlooking your property.
NUKe

Post by Edwards »

And of course the expenses of the local politicians. :evil:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Edwards wrote:And of course the expenses of the local politicians. :evil:

Don't get me started on them (whole string of inappropriate words removed)

Our lot voted to keep their free canteen and to keep their expenses and allowances. And a couple of councillors who became ex-councillors in May are being retained as "advisors" with £12k allowances (+ expenses).

To pay for this we're losing our library van, having our streetlight times reduced, and a local special-needs school will close, among other more minor cuts in our services.

Typical case of "Sod you Jack, we're alright." :evil:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Guy951 wrote:having our streetlight times reduced

Huzzah!

Were but it true of the nation then we could have "night" again - with stars, milky way and all the stuff that's hidden behind the tepid yellow glow that passes for dark these days...
pedal-pusher

Post by pedal-pusher »

I always try and avoid getting into these debates!! Its a no winner!

But I do have to say this, Im a single parent, I do get my reduction on council tax and I do get Child benefit (which all families do for under 16's!) but that's pretty much it.......
I work full time, pay child care, have a mortgage, pay my way in society and yes I could moan about "benefit fraud" etc etc but on the whole I think we are pretty lucky in this country.
Refuse is dealt with in a reasonable way and it is getting more environmentally conscious as years go on
Education is on the whole pretty good - my kids are in state schools and are doing very well 8)
If you feel unwell you ring the doctors and get an appointment and get pretty much free treatment (I know some pay for prescriptions - me included!)
Cycling end to end I have to say the roads are not in a bad state on the whole, the country as a whole is well kept and I felt safe.
You can say how you feel - free speech is a wonderful thing!

Yes the system is less than perfect, yes there are some run down areas in the UK that I wouldnt want to linger about in, yes there are flaws in the education and health system. But quite frankly it will never suit everyone and sadly there will always be fraud - that isnt the systems fault, that is the nature of the person being greedy.

I think there is a lot to be thankful for bought home recently to me with two family members being seriously ill - one with cancer and my sister with a brain tumour :( All making very good recovery on STATE health - it was something that had to be paid for, like in the US, I dread to think how we would have managed.....

If you are someone who uses the country resources very little I can see how this might gripe - but then again, you could be extremely grateful that you havent needed them................yet :wink: I know I am! :D
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/VickyandPhil
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NUKe wrote:You might produce very little rubbish But I dont expect you want the council to wait six weeks to collect it.
I put the rubbish out - only one bag, not full - last week for the first time in three weeks. Tomorrow is our collection day, and there's not enough to even bother taking it down the drive.

NUKe wrote:I seem to remember not so long you being miserable because you couldn't get out. somebody cleared the roads. Even if they didn't clean your particular street the main roads were kept open to get the food through.
Nope. Main roads were hardly touched. Trunk roads A30 and A38 were cleared - just, and no doubt Plymouth city was ok, but out here in the sticks we were left to fend for ourselves.

NUKe wrote:Local police and fire service all come out the budget and we all hope we'll never need them

You cycle on roads maintained by the council tax and national taxation.
libraries Street cleaning, Paliative care are all paid for by local taxation.
Even things like planning permission to stop the neighbours building a great big block of flats overlooking your property.
All that I agree with, but NOT the libraries.
Scrap them as a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mick F wrote:We pay lots of tax and get nothing back.

how do you pay your tax? ie. where's your income from?

oh yes, the taxpayer :roll:
jan19

Post by jan19 »

All that I agree with, but NOT the libraries.

Mick, you presumably don't use a library which is why you think them a waste of money. I don't use the Meals on Wheels service, but I don't regard it as a waste of money because there are people who depend on it. Many people, of all walks of life use libraries and many of them (although obviously not all) come from the less affluent end of society.

Here's one link, which shows they have an importance way beyond the narrow view many people have of them, an image reinforced by the media

http://www.littleonesreadingresource.co ... ories.html

This was reported fairly widely in the national press recently, but this is the first link I found.

Not everyone has the money to buy books for their children - picture books in particular are very expensive for what they are.

Jan
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

jan19 wrote:Mick, you presumably don't use a library which is why you think them a waste of money.

saying that libraries should be scrapped is a guaranteed, 100% accurate indicator that the person stating it is definitely beyond reasoning with. he's either a lot more stupid than i gave him credit for or he's trolling. don't waste your efforts
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Sounds great, how do i pay as little tax as possibe?!

Join the Black Economy. Perhaps a sex worker?
jonty
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:..........All that I agree with, but NOT the libraries.

Oh the voice of reason! has it ever crossed you're mind that others may use and need the library?

I put the rubbish out - only one bag, not full - last week for the first time in three weeks. Tomorrow is our collection day, and there's not enough to even bother taking it down the drive.

Should that be scrapped too because Mick doesn't need it or made a three weekly collection?

Theres some moaning miserable selfish beggers on this thread!
Bowland Rider get a life and stop whinging!!!!!!!

Take leaf out of pedal-pusher's book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

What a depressing thread.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

IMO the world is overpopulated as it is and im doing my bit to help reverse that!

it's nice that someone here is such a deep green. i take it that you've never taken a flight. you don't eat meat. the beer & wine you drink is homemade, or at least locally produced, as is all your food. your home is insulated to the hilt. you don't have a car. . . . . . please confirm the level of green that you are, because i've a sneaking suspicion that this claim to environemental concern is just a red herring from someone who never managed to find a partner to reproduce with
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

[quote="reohn2] ...Take leaf out of pedal-pusher's book!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote] But then she'll get fined when she takes it back to the library........... :wink: