Teenage Daughters

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
TonyR

Re: Teenage Daughters

Post by TonyR »

Jonty wrote:I was the most irresponsible adolescent imaginable: a drunken debauchee. Over the years I've slowly improved. That's why I worried about my children. Will they behave like me?
jonty

A very sobering moment for me was when a friend said my biggest challenge will be when my daughter brings her first boyfriend home and I realise his intentions towards her are the same as mine would have been at his age.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

gremlin wrote:What is it about teenage daughters not wanting to listen too or take any advice from their fathers? :?

Sproggins number 2 (16 years old) is off to Morroco to walk the Atlas mountains with a school trip in a weeks time. Lucky girl, but she does work on the weekends and pays her way for it which I think is important.

Anyway I have been trying to advise her for the last 2 years whilst taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh Bronze and Silver award about the kit she should take, wear and carry, but it seems i have been banging my head against a brick wall! She went on a long practise walk and overnight camp with her Morroco team mates on Sunday wearing tight fitting shorts and surpise surprise she has come back with badly chafed thighs! She then comes home today looking for sympathy although she was advised in no uncertain terms it was a bad idea to wear the shorts that she did!

Lo and behold she then asks for advice about kit for her Morroco trip, but then proceeds to argue at every turn about what kit I think she should or should not take to Morroco.

It seems I can't win!

I can't be the only father who has had this expereince with their daughters can I? :lol: :?

Tch tch tch-tight fitting shorts,chafed thighs-I think wearing such shorts is wholly commendable and better than jeans.Perhaps a tweed skirt or plus fours would have been better.Neither of my sons wore shorts but went for bottom half of a shell suit and looked well hard
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

TonyR wrote: ...A very sobering moment for me was when a friend said my biggest challenge will be when my daughter brings her first boyfriend home and I realise his intentions towards her are the same as mine would have been at his age.
I'm suprised we've got so far without anybody mentioning Anthony Newley's hit (which google attribites to Perry Como - can't say I remember his version :? )
When you're the father of boys,
How you worry,
But when you're the father of girls,
You do more than that,
You Pray!

From the time of diaper and pin,
'Till the time they cry, "don't come in!"
'Till the time you gown them in white,
And give them away,
You worry, you worry,
You worry, night and day!

When she's a plain little girl,
How you worry,
But when she's a beautiful thing,
You do more than that,
You pray!

Boys come 'round when they want a date,
Girls may only stay home and wait,
When she's out you sit up all night,
With her first baby toy!

You trust her, but worry,
'Cause you were once a boy!

When you're the father of boys,
How you worry,
But when you're the father of girls,
You do more than that,
You pray!

I can't speak for your family of course, but 50 years on, I suspect that by the time anybody is introduced to parents, especially to Dad, things are well past the stage of intentions.
Kiltie12

Post by Kiltie12 »

gremlin wrote:.
It seems I can't win!

I can't be the only father who has had this expereince with their daughters can I? :lol: :?

Yep, been there done that with 5 of them, I blame their mother, she was the same :D :lol:
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

I was going to wirte something sleazy about teenage girls, but then i realised that I'm no longer allowed. The "half your age plus seven" formula means I can't go younger than 19.5
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I'm afraid both me an my sister were (and still are in my sisters case, 20 in just over a month yet still behaves like a 14 year old) terrible teenagers. We're both very late at maturing, I didn't "come round" as my Dad puts it until I was well into my 20s, and my sister is looking just as bad, she still gives my mum some right grief.

These genes are one of the reasons I won't be having kids, that combined with my three second fuse sounds like a one way ticket to the clink. I've got all on looking after myself, never mind dealing with a partner and kids, it makes me shudder just thinking about it!
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

What I find amazing is that the most appalling adolescents can grow up to be perfectly respectable, hard-working, considerate, pro-social adults. I'm a perfect example. :| :
jonty
Dr.Doo

Post by Dr.Doo »

This puts me in mind of something a wise person once told me many moons ago...

...The older I grow, the more I recall, how little I knew when I knew it all.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

try step daughters even more fun !!!!!