Shiny new bikes destined for sheds

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
glueman

Post by glueman »

At one time utility bikes were identified by their price. Now they are another niche in the market and one to be targeted with all sorts of goodies. I think that is a mistake (though clearly not for marketeers).

Diamond frame bicycles with mudguards and a single speed freewheel - what used to be called roadsters - can be made cheaply out of decent steel. If there's ever going to be a cycling revolution, they will be in the front line.
An early eighties Raleigh catalogue had a range of them, topped by the elegant and aptly named 'Superb'. None had retro cool prices attached to them, they were workhorses and expected to last a lifetime by buyer's and manufacturer.
VISCOUNT

Post by VISCOUNT »

I would disagree that cycling is very hard work. It can be of course, but I think it's probably as hard or as easy as you want it to be. Unless you happen to be at the bottom of a big hill and want to get to the top of it. :lol:

I now realise the importance of getting a decent bike though and adapting it if necessary. I usually glide effortlessly past several cyclists on my way to work and notice that their knobbly tyres are soft. (Others glide past me too though!)

I think people should seek good advice on getting the correct bike for their needs. I told somebody the other day that I've got four bikes. She couldn't believe it when I told her that I actually do regularly use all four of them for different things.
meic

Post by meic »

Three years ago I bought my son a crappy Apollo Gradient from Halfords for £80. I didnt even have a bike myself and borrowed my wifes. I didnt expect my son to do much cycling, he just wanted something different from being in the motorcycle sidecar.
Since then I caught the bug after taking him for rides and now do Audaxes and have 2 bikes which do more miles than my motorbikes.
So the cheap crappy bikes can lead to 'proper ' cyclists.
I wonder about the poor quality engineering and cheap components on the Apollo. Three years later it has done 1700 hilly miles and is going strong.
Also he cycles up hills on this heavyweight past people pushing their expensive machines. The rider is much more significant than the bike.
I have bought him an expensive lightweight racer but it is hard to get him to use it instead of his Apollo!
Andrew Mills

Post by Andrew Mills »

I have noticed quite a few of these shiny new bikes that come in a box for £60 come with the forks fitted back to front. When you talk to the riders they don't even realise they just fit the wheels and go :( .