bike bushcraft

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tramponabike
Posts: 322
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 11:17pm

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby tramponabike » 28 Aug 2011, 10:12pm

ukbushman wrote:from what has been posted here on this thread in my view, most of you who have posted have an idealised view of bike bushcraft & of bushcraft in general. I'm of the opinion that some, if not all, could benefit from some form bushcraft course that could benefit you & your cycle touring exploits in the future, & my give you a better understand of the environment that you ride through, but this is just my view & opinion.

UKB


OK out with it...how much?

and do I have to wear Ventile?

Lawrie9
Posts: 1011
Joined: 4 Oct 2007, 11:23am
Location: Powys, Wales, UK

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby Lawrie9 » 29 Aug 2011, 1:27pm

There are over a million hits when you type in bushcrasft and hundreds of bushcraft courses and it seems that anyone can set up courses in bushcraft. So is there any kind of trade association, professional body so that people running these courses have belong to or are vetted etc to meet a certain standard so the customer is getting a good experience and value for money. Also it is good to get to know about the trees, bushes, flowers rocks and so on that we pass on many of our rides.
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight

User avatar
ukbushman
Posts: 19
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 12:48pm
Location: essex

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby ukbushman » 29 Aug 2011, 3:56pm

I'm not sure at the present time but you can always send an Email to Woodlore ltd (info@raymears.com) to find out,they might know, if they don't then I don't know, Woodlore are the countries leading Bushcraft firm that runs bushcraft courses which have been going for nearly thirty(30) years so give them a try.
UKB

tramponabike
Posts: 322
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 11:17pm

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby tramponabike » 29 Aug 2011, 4:04pm

UKB...

From the posts on this thread alone it can be seen that most if not all express some degree of interest and knowledge about our natural environment. I think it presumptive and a little insulting to be told that "most of you who have posted have an idealised view of bike bushcraft & of bushcraft" and that we are considered to be in need of a "course" to rectify this. (don't worry, I'll get over it. :) )

There have been many well informed and in depth posts discussing the benefits, history, sustainability and potential negative effects of increasing "bushcraft" activity in the UK. You seem to have been silent on them all.

What do you think the impact a significant increase of "bushcrafting" as promoted by various web sites and bushcraft courses might have on UK woodlands?

Lawrie9 wrote:Also it is good to get to know about the trees, bushes, flowers rocks and so on that we pass on many of our rides.


I agree 100 % Lawrie.

I only question if the chopping, burning, eating and general destruction of same are equally good.

Edwards
Posts: 5978
Joined: 16 Mar 2007, 10:09pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby Edwards » 29 Aug 2011, 4:41pm

ukbushman wrote:I'm not sure at the present time but you can always send an Email to Woodlore ltd (info@raymears.com) to find out,they might know, if they don't then I don't know, Woodlore are the countries leading Bushcraft firm that runs bushcraft courses which have been going for nearly thirty(30) years so give them a try.


Can you not give us some guidance on here?

tramponabike wrote:I only question if the chopping, burning, eating and general destruction of same are equally good.


I agree and question why I need to go on a course to be told not to chop or burn things.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

User avatar
ukbushman
Posts: 19
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 12:48pm
Location: essex

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby ukbushman » 29 Aug 2011, 4:57pm

Edwards wrote:
ukbushman wrote:I'm not sure at the present time but you can always send an Email to Woodlore ltd (info@raymears.com) to find out,they might know, if they don't then I don't know, Woodlore are the countries leading Bushcraft firm that runs bushcraft courses which have been going for nearly thirty(30) years so give them a try.


Can you not give us some guidance on here?

tramponabike wrote:I only question if the chopping, burning, eating and general destruction of same are equally good.


I agree and question why I need to go on a course to be told not to chop or burn things.


the best guidance & the the best people to answer your question that I can give is to get in contact with the firm in my last post, they should be able to answer both.
UKB

tramponabike
Posts: 322
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 11:17pm

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby tramponabike » 29 Aug 2011, 5:43pm

ukbushman wrote:the best guidance & the the best people to answer your question that I can give is to get in contact with the firm in my last post, they should be able to answer both.

But you must have an opinion! As a bushcrafter yourself you must have considered and come to a conclusion regarding the environmental impact? Especially as bushcraft purports to hold "nature" in such high esteem. Your own opinion is worth more than any amount of PR bumf.

Not trying to get at you personally here, I am sure I share much of your pleasure in what is after all... camping.
Spending time in the wilds with minimal resources is, along with cycling, my favourite activity. About 35 nights out already this year. I am greatly interested in traditional skills and think a closer association with nature is of benefit to everyone.

My concern is simply that, many of the activities encouraged by the growing bushcraft industry have no place in our fragile and pressurised woodlands. Apart from the designated private areas that these courses are conducted on, the growing numbers of trained bushcrafters will disperse into any woods they can find. At least the tons of gear will keep the majority on a leash.

User avatar
ukbushman
Posts: 19
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 12:48pm
Location: essex

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby ukbushman » 29 Aug 2011, 5:58pm

my sentiments exactly
UKB

tramponabike
Posts: 322
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 11:17pm

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby tramponabike » 29 Aug 2011, 6:23pm

ukbushman wrote:my sentiments exactly


:lol:

Good reply...I asked for that. :)

It does raise other questions, but you don't give much away do you? :wink:

User avatar
ukbushman
Posts: 19
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 12:48pm
Location: essex

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby ukbushman » 29 Aug 2011, 6:30pm

for me that's normal, it's not what know but who I know to get the right guidance/advice that I need & then pass it on to others.
UKB

wirral_cyclist
Posts: 666
Joined: 17 May 2010, 9:25pm
Location: Wirral Merseyside

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby wirral_cyclist » 29 Aug 2011, 9:37pm

ukbushman wrote:for me that's normal, it's not what know but who I know to get the right guidance/advice that I need & then pass it on to others.


I'm not sure this long-winded sales pitch is working.

Possibly a bit unfair as you are such a long standing member who has posted lots of advice previously - oh hang on...

Edwards
Posts: 5978
Joined: 16 Mar 2007, 10:09pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby Edwards » 30 Aug 2011, 9:04am

ukbushman wrote:for me that's normal, it's not what know but who I know to get the right guidance/advice that I need & then pass it on to others.


So do you know anything about Bushcraft?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

User avatar
ukbushman
Posts: 19
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 12:48pm
Location: essex

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby ukbushman » 30 Aug 2011, 9:09am

a lot more then some give me credit for.
UKB

reohn2
Posts: 34699
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby reohn2 » 30 Aug 2011, 4:35pm

ukbushman wrote:a lot more then some give me credit for.


Then why are you so reluctant to share you depth of knowledge?
Or is it as someone else has already said that this just a sales pitch?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
ukbushman
Posts: 19
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 12:48pm
Location: essex

Re: bike bushcraft

Postby ukbushman » 30 Aug 2011, 5:08pm

no sales pitch or reluctant to share my knowledge of bushcraft, it's just one of uncertainty of the knowledge that I share will be used in the right way.
UKB