£350

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
alicej

Re: £350

Postby alicej » 8 Sep 2011, 6:50pm

Nettled Shin wrote:
alicej wrote: I'm going to save money by doing without a tv altogether.

Not having a telly will mark you out as being eccentric

Excellent, that should convince the few remaining people who haven't already worked out that I'm eccentric! :D

jayjay

Postby jayjay » 18 Sep 2011, 8:44pm

I've just realised on reading this thread, I am sure when Dad first started taking us boys to the barber for a trim that it cost "Two and six".
No prizes to guess which combs I use on the clippers these days :D

I did have a period in life with long hair, it started when Dad declared that we could buy our own haircuts.
Built f' comfort.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 Sep 2011, 9:02am

Two and Six ..........

That reminds me of a conversation at the pub the other day. I had a few coins in front of me on the bar and looked down at the three 5p coins remembering the pre-decimal days.

5p was the old Shilling - of course we all remember them? - and I also remember that when I first started going to pubs - under age :oops: - beer was 2/- a pint in the bar and 2/3d in the lounge. After Decimalisation, and I was 18, beer was 121/2P.

2/6 for a haircut sounds very cheap as it was the same price for a pint!
£3 a pint (or perhaps slightly less) now, but haircuts cost a tenner!
Mick F. Cornwall

PW

Postby PW » 27 Sep 2011, 2:06am

Wrong pub Mick. :wink:
It was 1s-8d per pint in '66-7 when I first started. (Handy when you had to shave twice a day at 13 - even if it did cause a sore chin!).

PS, a pint used to be the same price as a loaf of bread. I blame the taxman!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Sep 2011, 8:44am

PW wrote:PS, a pint used to be the same price as a loaf of bread. I blame the taxman!
Good grief! How long ago was that?
I wasn't buying bread until after we married, and TBH, I can't remember the price, but I do know that when we lived in Scotland in the 70's and 80s that food was expensive, so much so that when we moved to Plymouth in 85' and went shopping, Mrs Mick F was in tears in the supermarket aisles at how cheap food was down south.

We were paying a £1 a loaf in Scotland in the early 80's - I've just been informed. (Just asked Mrs Mick F!)

No doubt things have evened out nowadays.
Mick F. Cornwall