Things I wish someone would make

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
alicej

Things I wish someone would make

Post by alicej »

What do people wish was available to buy which currently isn't?

Suggestions should be things which could probably be fairly easily invented but which you're not aware that anyone is yet producing - not pure fantasy things for which the physics doesn't yet exist, or things which you just basically wish could be made cheaper.

Examples:

Good quality bar bags with fittings to secure a front light to them.

A custom multi-tool which you could order with only the exact tools you wanted on it, i.e. you order the 10 tool version and then you specify which 10 tools you'd like on it out of a possible 30 tools made to fit the multi-tool. And I don't see why these shouldn't also be unscrewable so you could change the tools around yourself at home.

Strap-on cleats, which would fit securely to any shoe (within reason). Would be uncomfortable to walk on as they wouldn't be recessed at all, but that wouldn't matter much if they had a simple quick release strap so you could easily take them off as soon as you got off the bike.

Bar end lights designed not to break when the bike falls over onto the bar end, e.g. made of metal like the bars themselves are (with holes for the light to shine through).

Anyone got any more? Any manufacturers listening?

BTW do let me know if any of these things already exist so I can put them on my Xmas list...
alicej

Re: Things I wish someone would make

Post by alicej »

Bolt-on pedal reflectors which had motion-sensitive lights in them.
meic

Post by meic »

I thought that they all ready existed

or may be the lights were activated/powered by pedal movement.
Yma o Hyd
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

My Carradice Super C bar bag has got a removable light bar which clips underneath the bag and is easily removed. I find it's strong enough for my Lupine Passubio, and the battery pack sits inside the bag. The multitool is a good idea: There are several things on my 'Alien' which I've never used, and a tyre lever would be a very useful addition.

N
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

me a millionaire
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Among my many heath robinson inventions such as a gradient indicator (I presume that's now available) I'd like a weatherproof jacket with the type of bellows cuffs already common on ski jackets. That would allow the easy fitting of winter-weight gloves with the cuff inside the jacket sleeve. Even easier would be an original shape Brooks Pro saddle but with bagloops. Mudguards made entirely with stainless fittings (including rivets) so they didn't corrode and with decent mudflaps on both front and rear, of course. (A street-legal reflector on the rear would be a real bonus, but hardly an innovation. Most of the things I've "invented" while musing on long rides such as clipless pedals, gear changers combined with the brake levers and really effective lights have been developed by others with more idea than I have.
alicej

Post by alicej »

meic wrote:I thought that they all ready existed

or may be the lights were activated/powered by pedal movement.

Not that I'm aware of, but I'd be pleased to be wrong because they're all things I'm not up to making for myself. I'm partly asking because if they do already exist then possibly someone will be able to tell me where.

I did have a pair of cheap pedals with LEDs in them which were powered by the pedal motion, which were great. Unfortunately the bearings wore out pretty quickly and the plastic wore down so they ended up with very little grip. The more expensive versions are made by Pedalite, but IMHO the design is terrible for several reasons, so I've now just got good quality pedals with no lights.

I do have a small motion sensitive light on my valve cap though, so they obviously can be made small enough, the casing would just need to be a different shape.
alicej

Post by alicej »

diapason0 wrote:My Carradice Super C bar bag has got a removable light bar which clips underneath the bag and is easily removed. I find it's strong enough for my Lupine Passubio, and the battery pack sits inside the bag.

Ooh, I hadn't seen that before! What's the light bracket like? Hadn't thought of trying to attach one to the bottom of the bag...
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

From my experience, the Caradice BB bracket is way too bouncy for a light. If there was a way to stiffen the whole bag, it would be different. I've actually stiffened my bag with an extra board. Doesn't make any difference to the light though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lightweight knee length waterproof overshoes similar to Eager's
The reintroduction of the Schwalbe Marathon Slick tyre in 700x28,32 and 35mm folders
SKS Bluemels mudguards available singular either front or back.
A really good quality seatpost with 45mm layback and true micro adjustment.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

alicej wrote:I do have a small motion sensitive light on my valve cap though, so they obviously can be made small enough, the casing would just need to be a different shape.

Would they need to be a different shape our would they just need attaching at a different angle and in a different way?
One of the reasons some of these things are not made, is that when you think about it something else can be adapted as in Mick F's multi tool. Also so people adapt things to do the job. This reduces the need
For something to be marketable it needs there to be a certain volume for the required sales.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

thirdcrank wrote:Among my many heath robinson inventions such as a gradient indicator (I presume that's now available) .

Yes, it certainly is - on my Garmin Edge 705 I have one of the window panes set to Percentage Gradient and it is most interesting to see how the steeper bits compare to the overall average. There are two 17% gradient hills a few miles north of me, but when going around the bends they increase to 21%. Also the number of steep hills that don't have gradient sign posts can be worked out and I can also decide which gearing I need or what can get me up certain gradient hills when fully loaded.

Gilles Berthaud do Stainless mudguards with Stainless fittings!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:Mudguards made entirely with stainless fittings (including rivets) so they didn't corrode ......
I had a thread about that some years ago. Yes, they have SS stays and nuts, but rivets are alu and the screw that holds the rear reflector is plain old galvanised - and rusts away!

My No1 thing would be waterproof and totally breathable and cool and reasonably priced all in one set of kit. This would include shoes and socks too.
Mick F. Cornwall
dodger

Post by dodger »

Miniature lightweight gyroscopes so I could stand the bike up without outside support or it getting scratched.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

dodger wrote:Miniature lightweight gyroscopes so I could stand the bike up without outside support or it getting scratched

Fantastic I would by one of those. At the moment I use a Velcro strap around the brake lever.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar