Things I wish someone would make

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

Re: Things I wish someone would make

Postby Edwards » 19 Sep 2011, 4:44pm

hubgearfreak wrote:it's a great opportunity for us to hear of your experiences, as you've obvioulsy tried them ALL

Reading the TC thread was enough to put me off. If you lot have problems and talk in some sort of S code what chance the rest of us. :wink: :roll:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 Sep 2011, 5:05pm

hubgearfreak wrote:
Mick F wrote:But you don't have to follow the fashion. I'm still on 10sp and will remain so.

wasn't moving to 10 speed following fashion in the first nplace, or was it what your bike came with? :roll:

No, my "bike" was never a "bike". It was a frame. I bought bits and I built it up into a bike. It's never been the same spec for long, but this 10sp is the bee's knees. I will stick with it.

I went to 9sp Triple from 6/7sp Double to modernise when I got back to cycling after a seven year layoff, but I couldn't get enough range on the sprockets, so went to 10sp. All the 9sp bits were the same as 10sp except I had to modify the RH Ergo and buy a new chain and cassette.

Best system I've ever had. Changes well, stacks of range, reliable ........ and looks good too since I moved up to Chorus from Mirage.
Mick F. Cornwall

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 19 Sep 2011, 5:12pm

Mick F wrote: looks good too since I moved up to Chorus from Mirage.

not following fashion then :lol:

Ash28

Postby Ash28 » 19 Sep 2011, 6:00pm

hubgearfreak wrote:
Ash28 wrote:A decent hub gear.

it's a great opportunity for us to hear of your experiences, as you've obvioulsy tried them ALL

I don't need to try them

Rohloff too expensive too complicated

Sram rarer than hens teeth

Shimano not durable enough

Sturmey not made any more so doesn't qualify for op

Don't know to any others
The Only Cyclist In The Village

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 19 Sep 2011, 7:18pm

Ash28 wrote:Sram rarer than hens teeth

Sturmey not made any more

both nonsense 8)

Ash28

Postby Ash28 » 19 Sep 2011, 7:51pm

Instantly detachable/reattachable mudguards/racks
The Only Cyclist In The Village

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 19 Sep 2011, 10:00pm

A light for which cycle shops want to order extra mountings.

I'd like to have one light & swap it between bikes. But the shops never want to order the spare mountings for me. I guess as they only cost a couple quid, they aren't worth the time it takes for someone to put it in the computer. It's easier & more profitable to seel me another light. :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 Sep 2011, 10:53pm

hubgearfreak wrote:
Mick F wrote: looks good too since I moved up to Chorus from Mirage.

not following fashion then :lol:
What is Good Looks to do with fashion?
Mirage was black and poorly finished, Chorus is silver and polished to a bright sheen. Also, being Chorus, all the bearings are good quality and there is attention to detail, whereas Mirage were inferior and cheap and nasty in comparison.
Mick F. Cornwall

Nettled Shin

Postby Nettled Shin » 19 Sep 2011, 10:59pm

Vorpal wrote:A light for which cycle shops want to order extra mountings

There is, sort of, a solution to this, but it requires your junking of brandnamed products: buy generic flashlight shaped lights. Places like Dealextreme on the www have many bike mounts for tactical flashlights. I think you can buy flashlights that take an external battery pack for when the internal batteries aren't enough, but I've also bolted on bits of tube to other bikelights to enable them to use these mounts. These mounts are cheap enough that all your bikes can have a couple.
Last edited by Nettled Shin on 19 Sep 2011, 11:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 19 Sep 2011, 11:00pm

Mick F wrote:What is Good Looks to do with fashion?

good point, well made :lol:

alicej

Postby alicej » 19 Sep 2011, 11:13pm

Nettled Shin wrote:
Vorpal wrote:A light for which cycle shops want to order extra mountings

There is, sort of, a solution to this, but it requires your junking of brandnamed products: buy generic flashlight shaped lights. Places like Dealextreme on the www have many bike mounts for tactical flashlights. I think you can buy flashlights that take an external battery pack for when the internal batteries aren't enough, but I've also bolted on bits of tube to other bikelights to enable them to use these mounts. These mounts are cheap enough that all your bike can have a couple.

Yeah, I've got a couple of these mounts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle- ... 483fd3842f and use a Petzl headtorch which just about fits. Could easily fit a torch shaped bike light or in fact a good torch, and the mounts are sturdier than the price tag would suggest. They swivel in the middle so you can get the light to point where you want it too.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 20 Sep 2011, 7:25am

Everything. People who follow fashion do so because they think it looks good. Though changing from 9 to 10 speed is a technical improvement not fashion following.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Sep 2011, 9:15am

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - or so the saying goes.
There have been some downright ugly fashions - someone thought they looked good!
Mick F. Cornwall

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 20 Sep 2011, 9:28am

pete75 wrote:

Everything. People who follow fashion do so because they think it looks good. Though changing from 9 to 10 speed is a technical improvement not fashion following.

People who follow fashion do so because they want to follow fashion; keep up with the Jones's or however you want to think of it. Wearing things because they look good or are fashionable are two different reasons, although they may occasionally overlap. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 20 Sep 2011, 10:38am

Kids racing bikes sub 200 pounds. They can make mountain bikes for Kids cheap. but no one seems to do a racing bike suitable for a 9 Year old in the Sub 200 bracket. I want raliegh/ Falcon Quality. Yes I know you can buy Isla/moda/Dawes for around 400.
NUKe