What happened to Arithmetic?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All we hear these days is Mathematics, Maths, or even (euch) Math. Arithmetic seems to have gone from our vocabulary.

We never hear Arithmetic being referred to. Arithmetic is generally what people mean, it's the study and manipulation of numbers. It uses addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, logarithms, square roots, percentages ......... and others.

It's the oldest branch of Mathematics and is used by almost everyone, so come on, let's hear it for Arithmetic!
Mick F. Cornwall
byegad

Re: What happened to Arithmetic?

Post by byegad »

My brain hurts. :D
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Is there an App for that?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I used to ask the pupils "How many F's do you use in Maffs". Cos dey core spaike propur ike wot we con
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

When I was at school, we had a maths teached called Melmoth. The subject was always called 'Moths' :)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

diapason0 wrote:The subject was always called 'Moths'

That is they way I imagine Jonty would say the word. :wink:
Keith Edwards
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Steady on. If logarithms form part of arithmetic, then why do we not include other functions?

I read a newspaper article recently in which the author lamented the fact that lots of people poke fun at themselves being rubbish at maths, but you never hear a person laughing at his own inability to read or write. Why should one be cool and not the other? It is as if we accept that some people have a mathematical brain, and others don't. But try short changing someone, or not giving someone enough in his pay packet, and you'll discover that everyone can do maths to some degree.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mick F wrote:All we hear these days is Mathematics, Maths, or even (euch) Math. Arithmetic seems to have gone from our vocabulary.

Thats probably because your children are not at school no more. hear the term often enough at home
NUKe

Post by Edwards »

The last time I used the term was in a woodwork lesson. One of the pupils was using the imperial side of the tape measure so I called over to him "Ariff Metric".
Keith Edwards
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We had a Maths teacher called Mrs Cheetham she was a clever woman but a poor teacher,we also had another chap who's name escapes my memory(I'm glad to say) another clever chap but a bad teacher,both took high delight in embarassing pupils by putting them on the spot when they knew they didn't know the answer to the questions asked.
Their lessons were totally boring.
It was only later that I found Maths interesting but not because of anything these two "teachers" taught me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Arithmetic is so limiting whereas mathematics includes algebra, geometry, calculus etc so is much more representative of the breadth of what most people do. We used to call arithmetic "sums"
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tom Lehrer has the answer.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXx2VVSWDMo
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

There are three sorts of people:

Those who understand arithmetic, and those who don't.

Nick
No pasaran
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics (Yes it's a plural, get over it Americans)

It is expressly concerned, as Mick said, with the study of numbers and quantity - but includes number theory, which can get pretty obscure.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ncutler wrote:There are three sorts of people:

Those who understand arithmetic, and those who don't.

Nick

http://m.xkcd.com/953/
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.