Forum Friends

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycle cat

Forum Friends

Post by cycle cat »

One of the things I like about this forum is you
get to speak to people from all over the country.
I don't know of we would get on if we met up.
I am a mad woman in her forties who messes about with
bicycles and knits wheels.
Thank goodness for soup.
bigfoot

Re: Forum Friends

Post by bigfoot »

Isn't there the suspicion that this forum is the opposite of much of the internet.

In normal cyberspace I hear folk go around with made up identities, where they pretend to be younger, trendier etc. etc.

Here I suspect we have young fit folk creating avatars and identities where they pretend to be old and grumpy, hanker after downtube shifters and complain about standards of english :wink:

Are you sure you know who your friends are?
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Isn't there the suspicion that this forum is the opposite of much of the internet.

In normal cyberspace I hear folk go around with made up identities, where they pretend to be younger, trendier etc. etc.

Here I suspect we have young fit folk creating avatars and identities where they pretend to be old and grumpy, hanker after downtube shifters and complain about standards of english

Oh, you've rumbled me!

Yes, I really am a six foot tall willowy brunette. I'm just pretending to be a short middle-aged blonde. :lol:

Jan
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

bigfoot wrote:Isn't there the suspicion that this forum is the opposite of much of the internet.

Here I suspect we have young fit folk creating avatars and identities where they pretend to be old and grumpy, hanker after downtube shifters and complain about standards of english :wink:

Sussed again. I'm really a shy, unassertive 30 year-old, still living at home, polishing my Raleigh chopper and reading Self-Improvement books on mathematics, economics, grammar and how to make friends and influence people.
You never know - it may get me my promotion at MacDonalds.
jonty
meic

Post by meic »

I am sure this came up before and that I had to confess then that I am not a real person, just a computer generated persona, created by a random merging of stereotypes.

Which means that any description I choose to give of myself is self fulfilling. 8)
Yma o Hyd
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

meic wrote:I am sure this came up before and that I had to confess then that I am not a real person, just a computer generated persona, created by a random merging of stereotypes.

I would like to add that, obviously, bicycles don't exist. The idea that anyone could balance on two thin wheels is preposterous; the whole thing is a computer simulation created by nerdy programmers like myself.
No pasaran
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

bigfoot wrote:................... hanker after downtube shifters ....................?

And what's wrong with downtube shifters?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nothing at all!

I'm trying mine out this week having been Ergo for the last seven years. I think it will be wonderful and simple, and I feel "liberated" by them - getting me away from the constant pull of technology and upgrades. Who needs indexing anyway?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

bigfoot wrote:Isn't there the suspicion that this forum is the opposite of much of the internet.

I've been sussed!

I must admit that I use a "made up identity" as it is more secure than using real names, identities etc.

However I have the same identity across all the sites and the rest is genuine enough though
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:.................Who needs indexing anyway?

My sentiments entirely.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

[quote="CunobelinI must admit that I use a "made up identity" as it is more secure than using real names, identities etc.

However I have the same identity across all the sites and the rest is genuine enough though[/quote]

Personnally, I can't see anyone stealing my identity.
jonty
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I have nothing to hide do a search on my name and my blog on kayak sail making will come up.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

cycle cat wrote:One of the things I like about this forum is you
get to speak to people from all over the country.
I don't know of we would get on if we met up.
I am a mad woman in her forties who messes about with
bicycles and knits wheels.

Knit wheels :shock: Don't you find the going a bit soft :lol:

I've met a load from here on the Toggle Chain Tour. One of 'em was alright... if you like that sort o' thing :roll:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Several years ago after the Isle of Wight Randonnee, a group from another site met in the Fishbourne Inn.

One chap was regaling us with the story of his young daughter who was most disgusted that her father was meeting strangers off the internet!

She took a lot of reassuring that he did know some of them and how it was different from her case.
horizon

Post by horizon »

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher