Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There seems like very few of the contributers to the Forum use an Avatar.

Why is this?
Mick F. Cornwall
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

How about because:

a. Some may not know how to include one.
b. Some may like to minimise ‘clutter’ on the information highway.
c. Some may believe others will be judgemental on the avatar chosen.
d. Some may treat them in the same manner as they treat personalised motor vehicle registration numbers – an unnecessary display that tells others much about the individual.

Not everyone uses emoticons, perhaps for some of the reasons above.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Mick,

I am vain, and alert to the opportunity of showing the world another snap of me, on the bike, on a mountain. Other people, however, may be less narcissistic!

I like yours, though: fulfills all the rules of a good logo. Is it your design?

Dave
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Avatar design? Sorry, no.

I Googled Images (Advanced) and searched for "Bicycle" in a "small" file.

I spent ages running through many hundreds of images to find it. So basically, I did the work, but not the art-work!

As for Emoticons, I can't stand 'em!
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Here's a good place to find avatars and other cycling images:

http://user.chollian.net/~boonstra/bikegifs.htm
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Oracle wrote:How about because:

a. Some may not know how to include one.
b. Some may like to minimise ‘clutter’ on the information highway.
c. Some may believe others will be judgemental on the avatar chosen.
d. Some may treat them in the same manner as they treat personalised motor vehicle registration numbers – an unnecessary display that tells others much about the individual.

Not everyone uses emoticons, perhaps for some of the reasons above.

a) There's a thread on the board describing the simple process
b) 2KB is not going to clutter up anything
c) That's up to them - I don't care
d) Again, who cares? If "someone" chooses to assess me on an image as simple as an avatar, that says more about them than me. I disagree with the comparison though. Personalised number plates are conspicuous consumption of wealth. A well-chosen avatar (& I make no such claim about mine) is an expression of individuality.

The one thing we agree on is emoticons. My pet hate is when someone says something barbed and sticks a smiley after it. They seem to think it makes it OK...
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

a. If only people would use threads to find the answers to questions that keep arising on Message Board! So for some, it would appear to be anything but simple.
b. Principle remains, 2KB of unnecessary clutter is still 2KB and some will seek a ‘purist’ approach to such matters.
c. Some people do care and that’s up to them.
d. Do not always need to be wealthy, just a little imaginative. Hence the reason why so many personalised plates appear on the cheaper cars that hardly qualify as a conspicuous consumption of wealth.

Agree that someone assessing an individual based on an image says more about them than the individual who uses the image which is somewhat sad.
Mike Rodgers

Post by Mike Rodgers »

Is using an anonymised (is that a real word? The spell check doesn't think so) username also a matter of individual expression, or is there a good reason that I've missed, as a newcomer to the wonderful world of MBs, for not using your own name or part thereof?

Luckily,there doesn't seem to be an emoticon to indicate that this is simple curiosity and has no subtext. I don't have any "position" on usernames, I'm just interested.

Mike
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Mike,

Some do, some don't use their real names. It's just a matter of choice. I don't even particularly like Dylan Thomas' poetry. It just struck me one day, as I was choosing how to replace "donkeebrain".

Some people use a pseudonym and sign with their real name. On another forum I use my real name. I guess some try to assign a little of their cycling world into their name, and there are some pretty imaginative examples. Others, like me, pluck theirs out of the ether.

I haven't really answered your question, have I!? I guess there isn't one answer... Sorry for rambling...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mike Rodgers wrote: I don't have any "position" on usernames, I'm just interested.Mike

Then I'll tell you the origin of mine.

In 1995 I had to visit a very nice professional couple in Leeds through work. They had also being trying to get some pretty straightforward info out of Leeds City Council but had been fobbed-off by a functionary in the highways department. He had told them to join a community group, even though their house was isolated and nobody else was affected by an issue which was causing them great misery. He had said, 'You could be just a couple of cranks'. I offered to form a community group with them saying 'I'll be the third crank'. About that time, in a misplaced flush of optimism brought on by the Notional Cycling Strategy I began to attend the utterly pointless consultation meetings staged by the same highway authority. There was a space for 'Organisation represented' on the attendance register and I used to put The Third Crank. The minutes came to me at that organisation.

I am no IT expert and the first time I enrolled on here I thought it was asking me to devise a password so in it went. I have never sought to be anonymous so for the first few months I put my name at the end of my posts.

And the avatars? I am afraid of irritating people more than necessary. (I've had to edit this to spell it right.) :oops:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi TC,

Thanks for another story! Sadly, my Username is quite boring.

I remember your signing off, and can also remember your name. As a matter of fact, there's half a dozen of you listed in the Plymouth Area Phone Book, and also a family in the village here!

Are you a West Countryman? Or are they all Yorkshiremen?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

MickF

The name Agar seems to pop up quite often but it is rare that I know it to be a member of my family. I have had unexpected contact from all sorts of people who have guessed at an email address and I have had something addressed to a stranger with my surname.

There used to be a consultant of that name in the "Women's" Department at Leeds General Infirmary who was unrelated but women of a certain age used to get all nudge-nudge, wink-wink whenever I told them my name at work.

The element -gar in surnames is anglo-saxon and meant 'spear' i.e. 'soldier'. It has been suggested to me that ei- means 'elder' and that my name therefore means elder spear or old soldier. (I prefer 'veteran' rather than anything with a hint of old codger, but you get the idea.)
Mike Rodgers

Post by Mike Rodgers »

Thanks TC. I'd sort of assumed that your username was bike-mechanically related in some way, but I love the real origin!

Mike