Polish population in the UK. Can't wear my'Poppy With Pride'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: Polish population in the UK. Can't wear my'Poppy With Pr

Post by meic »

Maybe he was from that bit of Poland called Ost-Prussia, it is Poland NOW but it used to be German. :shock:
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I worked tunnelling with a German (Bob) and a Pole (George) that was bundle of laughs at times :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

OP adjusted to remove the poorly disguised swearing.
Mick F. Cornwall
byegad

Post by byegad »

Britain did let the Poles down in 1945. Having gone to war supposedly over the German invasion of Poland, we conveniently forget that the USSR also invaded Poland in 1939. In 1945, after the Yalta Conference, we left them to the mercies of the USSR up to the fall of Communism in Europe. Also Polish troops were not allowed to march in the VE day Victory parade at the end of the War in Europe, the only ally to be so dishonoured.

Maybe this is part of the supposed Polish problem in Mansfield???

I met a number of Poles who had fled to the UK in 1939 and stayed on after 1945 rather than go back to be arrested by the secret police working for the Soviets, none of them seemed to have an issue with the wearing of poppies.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

tramponabike wrote:
Ian Raleigh wrote:I was stopped in the street by a council official today and was told not to wear a poppy as is would upset the Polish.
The man then told me about the Pole ripping the poppy off the war time vet, so if he's lieing so am i :roll:

Surely you asked this "council official" for his id to enable you to report his highly irrisponsible, anti social rumour mongering while on official duty?

Ian... I will be contacting Mansfield District Council to let them know about this appalling behaviour by one of their officials. If you would like to pm me any details, time, place, description etc., you may recall I will be happy to pass them on for you. It should be a relatively simple matter to identify this person and relinquish them of the opportunity to promote unrest while representing the official local authority.

I will also link to this thread so they may well contact you here for further information. Perhaps they may even post and redress some of the rather unsavoury implications about their town that have arisen from this thread.

Such deliberately provocative behaviour from an official representative of a local authority can only bring your town and it's council into serious disrepute and I am sure you would agree, those responsible should be dealt with quickly and appropriately.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

If anyone else would like to express their concern, here is the Councils online complains form:-

https://www.mansfield.gov.uk/mdcforms/frmComplaint.asp
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

meic wrote:Maybe he was from that bit of Poland called Ost-Prussia, it is Poland NOW but it used to be German. :shock:

And before that, Prussia and before that, a possession of the Teutonic knights and before that, the land of the Old Prussians. We could well go back to Erectus and Neanderthal but Wiki runs out there.

All these lines on the ground amount to are no more than the largest boundaries that the particular ruling elite of the area have been able to hold against both their indigenous population and external empire builders.

When will we realise that it's people that matter, not countries?
meic

Post by meic »

When we get rid of the Poppies?? :wink:
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is the Mansfield District Council page on Rembrance events 2011.

http://www.mansfield.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4336
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

My message to Mansfield District Council:-

---
Please tell us about your complaint.

While well aware that much nonsense is spouted on internet forums, I would like to draw you attention to the rather concerning story I read earlier today. The person passing on the news returned to confirm it's veracity and assured us that it came directly from a council official.

I quote from the relevant thread:-

Q. "This sounds like one of those urban legends. Can you give us any authentication, or did you just hear this from a friend of a friend?"

A. "I was stopped in the street by a council official today and was told not to wear a poppy as is would upset the Polish. The man then told me about the Pole ripping the poppy off the war time vet, so if he's lieing so am i"

I am sure this would be as concerning to you as it is to me so hope you will be able to investigate further and take appropriate action if it is confirmed to be true.

Here is a link to the topic in question:-

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=57555

Regards
Steven

---
Please tell us what you think we should do to put things right.

I think that if true and the official concerned can be identified, they should be removed from office with imidiate effect.

---

¡No pasarán!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I thought that there were two types of Pole

Positive and negative
meic

Post by meic »

What about North and South,

that makes four. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flag ?
Bean?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Ian Raleigh wrote:I live in Mansfield and i have been told that i can't wear my 'Poppy with pride' in Mansfield !
This is because the Polish don't agree with it and don't want to see them. ! I say to the Poles...

IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY IN OUR COUNTRY AND DON'T AGREE WITH HISTORY AND YOU ARE NOT WILLING
TO LEARN OUR WAYS AND OUR LANGUAGE.........BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY AND LIVE US BRITS IN PEACE.

A polish man has gone up to an old war time Vet' and ripped his Poppy off his blazer and stamped on it and has shouted
untold swear words in his own polish language, then he ran off ! How brave of him.

WHAT SORT OF GOVERNMENT DO WE ALLOW TO RUN 'OUR COUNTRY' AND ALLOW IDIOTS INTO THIS COUNTRY FOR WORK
ONLY FOR THESE MORONS TO DO AS THEY PLEASE AND TELL US BRITS WHAT WE CAN AND CAN'T DO !!
IT'S ABOUT TIME A LOT OF FOREIGNERS WERE BOOTED OUT OF OUR COUNTRY FOR GOOD.

Sorry if anyone on this forum is polish/Russian/Latvian who are good fellas but i'm sick of them
where i live it used to be all English residents but the is a Pole to every four houses now.

Why are we even discussing this racist drivel? I thought the forum was better than this.

(I assume the (former) councillor in question is this lovely chap... http://www.yournextmp.com/candidates/edward_holmes)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Malaconotus wrote:Why are we even discussing this racist drivel? I thought the forum was better than this.

Because lots of good people died to preserve free speech.

This does not mean I agree with the sentiments or tone nor do I want to read or hear some things. But in a free society it is some thing that we are obliged to be patient and grown up about.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
kuba

Post by kuba »

Why British people don't let us Polish cyclists here in the UK take bicycles on trains? Recently, when putting my bike in a bike space on a train I was shouted at by a British man! WHY DO BRITISH PEOPLE HATE BICYCLES AND CYCLIST SO MUCH??? Surely it must have something to do with the Second World War!!! Or maybe I am mistaken, maybe the man was Welsh? He got off in Newport...? That would explain things, the Welsh are known to have no decency or manners whatsoever.

LOL, what a thread. Freedom of speech? Someone here needs to calm his nerves, that's all.