Where was the AGM held in 2011?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cycloloco

Where was the AGM held in 2011?

Post by Cycloloco »

This is an attempt to correct the record before the year ends. Members have been saying in print (Cycle mag) on more than one issue that the AGM in 2011 was held in Weymouth but it wasn't. The AGM was held in a building known as Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy which is situated within the Borough of Weymouth and Portland. These titles include 'Weymouth and Portland ' because Weymouth is separate from Portland. If you went to the AGM by road you went through Weymouth to reach Portland. You went over a bridge and the bridge had seawater underneath it. When we looked out of the building we saw Portland Harbour, not Weymouth Harbour. The position is that the AGM was held 'on Portland' not 'in Weymouth'.
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I can't see any forum for correcting mistakes.

Extra comment: is it possible our members don't know where they are during a ride because they have taken to using satnavs? Following instructions to 'turn here' reduces the need to read maps or road signs.
gaz

Re: Where was the AGM held in 2011?

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

The forum is a place for debate and discussion amongst members and non-members about cycling matters and almost everything else as well. This includes Club Policy, Cycle mag, the AGM, etc.

However National Office do not monitor the forum, nor do they view it as an official method of raising complaints. The CTC's complaint procedure can be found here. If you are just looking for a corretion in Cycle you'll find the editor's contact details here.

For a lively debate on the pitfalls of SatNavs you've come to the right place.

Cycloloco wrote:Extra comment: is it possible our members don't know where they are during a ride because they have taken to using satnavs? Following instructions to 'turn here' reduces the need to read maps or road signs.

I always know where I am. I am here. The location of here in a geographical sense is not a constant. There have been times when I have been uncertain of my geographical location, I assure you that this uncertainty has always been achieved without the aid of a SatNav. Alcohol may have been an influencing factor on occassion but the most memorable was achieved in sobriety and involved the results of attempting to cross Taunton without a map.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gaz wrote: ..... in sobriety and involved the results of attempting to cross Taunton without a map.
1. I have never taken alcohol in Taunton.
2. I have been lost in Taunton on more than on occasion!

I eventually sussed the route, but never partook in booze there!
Here's the route through Taunton:
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=335499
Mick F. Cornwall
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Cycloloco wrote:This is an attempt to correct the record before the year ends. Members have been saying in print (Cycle mag) on more than one issue that the AGM in 2011 was held in Weymouth but it wasn't. The AGM was held in a building known as Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy which is situated within the Borough of Weymouth and Portland. These titles include 'Weymouth and Portland ' because Weymouth is separate from Portland. If you went to the AGM by road you went through Weymouth to reach Portland. You went over a bridge and the bridge had seawater underneath it. When we looked out of the building we saw Portland Harbour, not Weymouth Harbour. The position is that the AGM was held 'on Portland' not 'in Weymouth'.
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I can't see any forum for correcting mistakes.

Extra comment: is it possible our members don't know where they are during a ride because they have taken to using satnavs? Following instructions to 'turn here' reduces the need to read maps or road signs.

I know who you are "Cycloloco" the cyclist with funny handlebars, are you trying to be Winston Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Smith

in 1984 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

Again, he was a plant to find out the real traitor
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Cycloloco

Post by Cycloloco »

Philip Benstead wrote:
Cycloloco wrote:This is an attempt to correct the record before the year ends. Members have been saying in print (Cycle mag) on more than one issue that the AGM in 2011 was held in Weymouth but it wasn't.......(cut)

I know who you are "Cycloloco" the cyclist with funny handlebars, are you trying to be Winston Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Smith

in 1984 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

Again, he was a plant to find out the real traitor

Indeed you know who I am, Phil, and you know I tried out this question on a group of active London cyclists before sending it to this forum. They nearly all answered 'Weymouth' and I had to explain to them why they were wrong. I don't have any intention of becoming a Winston Smith.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

More pointless stuff ... this forum is being overtaken by model rail types .... WHO CARES !!!!
Si

Post by Si »

Whilst I wouldn't put it in Landsurfer's terms, I am a little mystified as to why this topic is in a section of the forum concerning cycle-campaigning?

As to his second point, I think that he will find that the forum has always been in the charge of model rail types...see relevant thread in Tea Shop: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30450&
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

I must confess to having a 12 metre layout around our front bedroom ....the shame ..... :(
CTC London

Post by CTC London »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:More pointless stuff ... this forum is being overtaken by model rail types .... WHO CARES !!!!

It may be pointless but when I ask help to compile information about short cycle rides, none was forthcoming from this source.

Do CTC members want or welcome new members on their rides?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58682
Philip Benstead
Secretary
CTC London – Working to promote the use of the cycle as a means of utility, transport or leisure for ALL.
Email to ctclondon@yahoogroups.co.uk
CTC London Twitter: @CTCLondon)
Ron

Post by Ron »

CTC London wrote:It may be pointless but when I ask help to compile information about short cycle rides, none was forthcoming from this source.
Do CTC members want or welcome new members on their rides?

That's a little unfair, you sought information on a small area in a remote part of the country which many of us will never have cycled in. :wink:
Cycloloco

Post by Cycloloco »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:More pointless stuff ... this forum is being overtaken by model rail types .... WHO CARES !!!!

I did think a lot of people wouldn't be interested considering that most members don't go to the AGM but it struck me as ridiculous that, this year, even the people who did go didn't seem to know what town they were in. 2011 could be the first year in the history of the Club that that happened. Just for the record.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Cycloloco wrote:I did think a lot of people wouldn't be interested considering that most members don't go to the AGM but it struck me as ridiculous that, this year, even the people who did go didn't seem to know what town they were in. 2011 could be the first year in the history of the Club that that happened. Just for the record.

Do you think we should be informing the authorities regarding the lost members? We would need to give figures. Do you have data regarding the number of members who left home with the intention of attending the AGM but failed to find the venue, also the number who have still not returned home?
Cycloloco

Post by Cycloloco »

Ron wrote:
Cycloloco wrote:I did think a lot of people wouldn't be interested considering that most members don't go to the AGM but it struck me as ridiculous that, this year, even the people who did go didn't seem to know what town they were in. 2011 could be the first year in the history of the Club that that happened. Just for the record.

Do you think we should be informing the authorities regarding the lost members? We would need to give figures. Do you have data regarding the number of members who left home with the intention of attending the AGM but failed to find the venue, also the number who have still not returned home?

I haven't said any member got lost, failed to find the AGM or failed to find their way home. I am saying that most of the members who went to the AGM kept thinking they were in Weymouth when they were actually on the Isle of Portland. The mistake was compounded by constant references in Cycle mag to the AGM being in Weymouth. Even the Chairman of the CTC Council was quoted in Cycle saying that. My letter to Cycle mag to correct the mistake wasn't published.
Si

Post by Si »

Nope, still can't see the reliance to cycle campaigning.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

I don't see the relevance to Campaigning either. However I wasn't very happy to find that the AGM wasn't in Weymouth either, as I arrived there by train to discover that I had very little time to get to the meeting; forcing me to use a taxi as there was no time for an alternative. I couldn't get there earlier unless I had travelled down the previous day, necessitating an unpaid day off work as well as a night's accomodation. With the return train fare to Weymouth via London it ended up being a very expensive AGM to attend. It's no wonder there were very few members there.

At least the 2012 AGM is nearer to me, if I bother to go that is :?