Freedom of speech

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ayesha

Freedom of speech

Post by Ayesha »

"Civilised adults".
People who reluctantly agree with Vox Populi, whether the subject matter be right or wrong.

"Thuggish behavior".
People who are not afraid to voice their opinions.
patricktaylor

Re: Freedom of speech

Post by patricktaylor »

"Taken out of context."
I never said it.

"Apology."
I meant what I said.
groveller

Post by groveller »

"The Queen should be given a new royal yacht to commemorate her diamond jubilee"

I want a Knighthood.
Si

Post by Si »

Ayesha wrote:"Civilised adults".
People who reluctantly agree with Vox Populi, whether the subject matter be right or wrong.

"Thuggish behavior".
People who are not afraid to voice their opinions.

If you'd like clarification of my comments then all you needed to do was ask rather than trot out the 'freedom of speech' nonsense yet again.

Thus some alternative definitions:

"Civilised adults" : people who can discuss an issue, taking opposing views to others without the need to use violence as the answer to their issues or to fall out with each other.

"Thuggish behaviour": people who feel the overriding need to take the law into their own hands and kick others to death.

Personally I don't believe that kicking people to death is a good idea, or is worthy of the users of this forum. Furthermore, as this forum represents a public face of the CTC, I don't think that it serves the club well to have upon it posts that give the impression that CTC members would like to kick people to death.

I like to give you the benefit of the doubt and tell myself that you misunderstood my previous post and that you are not the sort of person that will go out and kick others to death. So, please, take a deep breath and reread other's posts before reacting to them - they might not say what you think they do.

As for freedom of speech - please don't kid yourself, on this forum, like this country in general, there is no freedom of speech. There are rules that we all must obey, for instance, no swearing, no comments that will damage the CTC, no abuse of other members of the forum, no incitement to violence, etc etc. I would hope that any user of these forums ought to be able to get across any reasonable point without infringing such rules.

You might now ask why I am locking this thread. I shall tell you: either you've understood what I'm saying and there is no need for further discussion, or you think that it's not worth your efforts to carry on the discussion in which case locking it will do no harm, or you will want to have further 'civilised' discussion on the subject which you can do via PM, or you want to have a public argument about it which I can't be bothered with. Alas, the topic that spawned this thread has taken up enough of my free time already and we moderators only have a limited amount of time to devote to the forum at the moment.