Room 101

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: Room 101

Post by RickH »

GrahamMC wrote:- All drivers who drive at 35mph plus on suburban roads

I am of the opinion there are 2 car clubs out there: the IDDMTTF* Club (sponsored by Nissan Micra) and the hardcore breakaway IODATF**

Rick

*I Don't Drive at More than Thirty Five & **I Only Drive At Thirty Five (whatever the speed limit)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a section of road near here that goes from 30mph to 40mph, then a quarter of a mile later, to National Speed Limit.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gunnisl ... 2,270,,0,0
The 30 section is frustrating to some folk, and as I conform to the speed limit, I get overtaken 200yds before the 40 limit. By the time I've popped out of the 40 limit into the NSL, I've caught them up!

Why do they do that?
They obviously want to press on, so why not press on at 60mph later?

It drives me loopy! :twisted:
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

meic wrote:Fukoshima* was a one off freak accident which will never happen again.
They have learnt from that and now everything is perfectly safe.
*As was Chernobyl and the others.

Nothing is perfectly safe. You can only say that they are as safe as can be managed within the constraints of budget, political self-interest and corruption.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
meic

Post by meic »

Or things can be inherently safe unlike nuclear power which is inherently dangerous!

Though the lobbyists tell us that everything is sorted out NOW since the last impossible to predict problem.

They never seem to understand that the very excuse they use for the last failure is the reason why they should not get another chance.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:Or things can be inherently safe unlike nuclear power which is inherently dangerous!

Though the lobbyists tell us that everything is sorted out NOW since the last impossible to predict problem.

They never seem to understand that the very excuse they use for the last failure is the reason why they should not get another chance.

+1
On a recent thread :- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60950&start=105 I alluded to civilisations in history dying out,sometimes its due to their own stupidity.
What concerns me most is that where nuclear power's concerned,not to mention nuclear weapons,we now have the ability to make the earth uninhabitable for millenia in the blink of an eye :evil: .
If thats not a reason to consign it to Room 101 then I don't know what is! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

reohn2 wrote:
meic wrote:Or things can be inherently safe unlike nuclear power which is inherently dangerous!

+1
On a recent thread :- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60950&start=105 I alluded to civilisations in history dying out,sometimes its due to their own stupidity.
What concerns me most is that where nuclear power's concerned,not to mention nuclear weapons,we now have the ability to make the earth uninhabitable for millenia in the blink of an eye :evil: .
If thats not a reason to consign it to Room 101 then I don't know what is! :?

The world would not be uninhabited after nuclear apocalypse. Cockroaches and solicitors would survive. :lol:
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

beachcomber wrote:The world would not be uninhabited after nuclear apocalypse. Cockroaches and solicitors would survive. :lol:
and estate agents
'Kernow bys Vyken'
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

The use of 'less' when 'fewer' is meant. If you can count them, it's 'fewer', so - Less sand, but fewer grains of sand.

Confusion about plurals - 'Blankshire Council are in favour of virtue and against sin'. No it aren't; its officers and (possibly but I doubt it) its members are, but the organisation is.

The use of the American term 'Regular' for 'Ordinary' or 'Small'.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Being patronised.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:Being patronised.

You squire! never :wink:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:Being patronised.
The Americans say - "pay-tron-ized".

Euch!
Mick F. Cornwall
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Calories in my favourite food

The button that causes my cat to dribble when Im cuddling her.

Toilet paper dispensers that only allow ONE square at a time, so you sit and pull out 1,2,3, 4, 5 etc squares - What is THAT about?
karlt

Post by karlt »

Linguistic pedantry. Language is defined by usage, until such time as we find God's Book Of The English Language As It Should Be.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

karlt wrote:Linguistic pedantry. Language is defined by usage, until such time as we find God's Book Of The English Language As It Should Be.

spot on!
W H Auden
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

Beachcomber (the OP) said "Remember there's no right or wrong. It's what you dislike."