Username problem - another forum!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Username problem - another forum!

Post by Mick F »

I'm "SMickF" on the Garmin forum:
https://forums.garmin.com/
I couldn't be Mick F because they wouldn't allow it - can't remember why.

Any road up, I've been a member for a while now usually posting on the 705 message board. Trouble is, for months and months and months, I've been having problems logging on because someone else is attempting to log on in my name.

I received an email the other day:
Dear SMICKF,
Someone has tried to log into your account on Garmin Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.
The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 64.212.198.239
All the best,
Garmin Forums

I replied:
Hi,
I've often had problems logging on, in fact it gets terribly annoying that I get a message that I'm locked out. Consequently, I tend not to be on the forum as much as I would otherwise be.
It would appear that the 64.212.198.239 IP address is in the USA.
I'm in UK with the IP address of 87.115.175.49, though it does vary a bit as I open and close my broadband connection.
I changed my password some time back to stop anyone even guessing it, but someone continually tries.
Any ideas to stop this?
Regards,
Mick.

They came back to me:
Dear Mick.
Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
I am happy to help.I am sorry to hear that someone has been trying to
access your account and i can only advise that you change your username.
This will prevent anyone from being able to log in and/or guess what the
username is for your account. Can you confirm whether you would like me
to do this, and if so, please let me know what you would like the
username to be changed to?
If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support
Kind regards,
Kerrie Carrott
Garmin Europe

What shall I do?
Change my name, or just live with it?

Has someone got it in for me? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Steve Kish

Re: Username problem - another forum!

Post by Steve Kish »

I'd just change the user name for an easy life.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Delete your account and create a new one with a slightly different name and new password. Something to do with your chopper

Al :D
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yeah.
Easy life, just delete and start again. I may yet do it.

The thing is, who or why is someone in the USA trying to log in as me?
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Could be someone who thinks you should get out more on your bike and spend less time on forums. Maybe he/she is just trying to look after you. :)
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Its because you are so famous (infamous?)
daveg

Post by daveg »

My guess is that it's someone with a similar user name that can't remember it right and keeps trying to log in. They could well be sat at home chuntering about the web site not letting them in. Why do I say that? Because I've done it myself!

I've got an uncommon surname but I was suprised how many people I could find with my name on the web. I spent some time trying to resuade a young lady in America that I was not her Uncle after she contacted me by email. And only last month I was excahnging emails with a guy in America in error. The address I had been given was one letter missing but he had the same name as the person I was trying to contact to arrange a talk.

It's a small world these days
If it wasn't for cars, there wouldn't be the amount of tarmac that there is.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:I'm "SMickF" on the Garmin forum:
Change my name, or just live with it?

Has someone got it in for me? :lol:

Surely imitation is the greatest form of flattery?

The only way to establish whether or not someone has got it in for you is to check back with Garmin.

Do they have a registered user who has succesfully logged on from that IP address in the past? i.e. could it be a genuine error?

Do they have failed user log-ins on other user names from the same IP address? i.e. could it be "blanket bombing" to hack any less secure user?

How common is the type of problem they have alerted you to? i.e. do they get a lot of this happening to a lot of people or is it really just you?

More information should guide your decision, after all there's no point becoming the "user formally known as SMickF" if the problem doesn't go away.

And if they can prevent that IP address from logging in to your account for 15 minutes why don't thet just block it completely?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good questions Gaz.

I have many queries about Garmin Forum. Not least of which that there isn't a message board that you can raise general Garmin enquiries or enquiries about the forum. Hence my questions to us lot. :D

I may email them again asking for more info, but the quotes I gave above are missing out one or two emails when they've completely missed the point of my problem! I feel I'm banging my head against a wall but maybe I'll try again and ask in single syllables. If I change my username there's no guarantee that everything will be ok anyway.

I think the 705 has completely run its course, so anything I have to offer has already been said before - I may just drop the whole subject. Sad, but true as the future is in the 800 - and beyond ..................... and the 705 is obsolete.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:... I feel I'm banging my head against a wall ...

Hope you've got your [polystyrene hat] on. :wink:

As for obsolecence, Microsoft are withdrawing support for Winows XP in April 2014, I may have to upgrade. :evil:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm getting the feeling that I'm obsolescent now, let alone my 705.
Approaching the Big 60, grey hair, got a paunch, I say "ah" when I sit down, policemen are too young, hate pop music, young people ignore me, I like slippers ........

I may have to trade myself in for a newer model.
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Mick F wrote:
I may have to trade myself in for a newer model.

I tried that myself once.
Went into The Body Shop and asked for a new one.

They didn't think it funny. :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
I may try that!

Yesterday, me and Mrs Mick F went into town by train for a spot of retail therapy, a few drinks over lunch, and a nice train ride home. Although cool with a threat of rain, it was bright and sunny.

I wore my prescription varifocal sunglasses for much of the day, taking my plain varifocals with me too. Walking home from the train still wearing my sunglasses, I noticed my other glasses were missing. Must have slipped out of my pocket on the train seat! Phone calls later, and I find I have to wait until at least Tuesday evening to phone Bristol Lost Property.

These are other aspects of getting "obsolescent", poor eyesight and forgetting things. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Buck up, Mick!
I can't wait to be 65 in the summer so I can get my state pension and retire.
Just to cheer you up, I'm going to start a "politically incorrect joke" thread.....its what us old fogies (who remember what life was like before conscious rectitude was fashionable) do best.