POLITICALLY INCORRECT JOKE THREAD

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: POLITICALLY INCORRECT JOKE THREAD

Post by Mike Sales »

"In a survey 80% of the people of Rhyl said English was their second language"
Pause for the audience to think, "but most people in Rhyl are non Welsh speakers from Merseyside."
"They didn't have a first language."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:"In a survey 80% of the people of Rhyl said English was their second language"
Pause for the audience to think, "but most people in Rhyl are non Welsh speakers from Merseyside."
"They didn't have a first language."

We a like survey conducted in Boston (Lunch*, England)? :wink:
*Lincs I meant but the keyboard insisted on Lunch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:We a like survey conducted in Boston (Lunch*, England)? :wink:
*Lincs I meant but the keyboard insisted on Lunch

Que?
Must be the way I tell 'em.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

As an aside - does anyone feel upset or annoyed if they're a member of a minority group targeted by a non-PC joke?

This happened to me a few days ago (not on this forum), I wasn't really too bothered (heard plenty of that sort of thing in my time). But I kept a straight face and failed to laugh. That in itself probably spoke volumes!

Any tips?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

661-Pete wrote:does anyone feel upset or annoyed if they're a member of a minority group targeted by a non-PC joke??

Have to admit the only joke which has ever annoyed me, was a full 15 years ago :wink:

On turning up to the brand new corporate HQ, as the long standing, highest flying commercial manager within the national business unit, I was pleased to wear my first ever hand made suit, hand made shoes and dress for the occasion (Nb. I'd always be known for dressing down and focusing on results!)

Was greeted by the national manager, on a crowded corporate floor, with "Hey, you look like a real BANKER* :x ". Don't know why, it still grates :wink:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

gbnz wrote:
661-Pete wrote:does anyone feel upset or annoyed if they're a member of a minority group targeted by a non-PC joke??

Have to admit the only joke which has ever annoyed me, was a full 15 years ago :wink:

On turning up to the brand new corporate HQ, as the long standing, highest flying commercial manager within the national business unit, I was pleased to wear my first ever hand made suit, hand made shoes and dress for the occasion (Nb. I'd always be known for dressing down and focusing on results!)

Was greeted by the national manager, on a crowded corporate floor, with "Hey, you look like a real BANKER* :x ". Don't know why, it still grates :wink:

Don’t worry corporate bullying is still alive and well and becoming acceptable again. And if we get the likes of Boris back we will be able to call a spade a spade :( we will be able to call people names and say it just fun they don’t mind.
NUKe

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:As an aside - does anyone feel upset or annoyed if they're a member of a minority group targeted by a non-PC joke?

This happened to me a few days ago (not on this forum), I wasn't really too bothered (heard plenty of that sort of thing in my time). But I kept a straight face and failed to laugh. That in itself probably spoke volumes!

Any tips?

Yes
'Jokes' against cyclists :?
But are we a minority? Most people *can* cycle
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:As an aside - does anyone feel upset or annoyed if they're a member of a minority group targeted by a non-PC joke?

Any tips?

I usually try to make a joke that let's people know I didn't like their joke.

E.g. <joke about stupid / lazy Welshman>
Oh, I guess now is not the time to tell you my grandparents were Welsh?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:I usually try to make a joke that let's people know I didn't like their joke.
Interesting that you should say that - that is precisely what I did on the above occasion. In my previous post I didn't quite tell the full story.

The 'joke' in question that I'd been 'entertained' with was mildly anti-semitic. I won't repeat it here, but you all know the sort of thing - the "how was copper wire invented?" sort of genre. Keeping my straight face, I countered with a joke of my own: a 'real' Jewish joke, one that Jews tell to other Jews. My interlocutor laughed heartily at this! After this, having got him in an affable mood, I muttered quietly: "I'm not bothered but you may want to be careful where you tell your joke". He looked nonplussed at that - whether my warning sank home or not, I don't know.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:I usually try to make a joke that let's people know I didn't like their joke.

I always keep a 'Welsh Grandparent' joke back for such eventualities.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

kwackers wrote:

I always keep a 'Welsh Grandparent' joke back for such eventualities.

:lol: :lol: With a very ethnically, religiously, & gender diverse family, I have relatives for nearly any offensive joke!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm told that French people have a whole gamut of jokes about (French-speaking) Belgians and Swiss, which are probably very similar to the ones English people tell about Welsh, Scots and Irish. I'm not sure whether they also have a pop at French-speaking Canadians, but they probably do...
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I accidentally came across a Jasper Carrott TV programme on Utube. There are some jokes in it that maybe are frowned upon today.:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm5wrdIf2ng

If you don't watch the whole video just go to the "song" at 13.5 minutes.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gbnz wrote:

Rhyming slang gets everywhere doesn't it?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pete75 wrote:
Rhyming slang gets everywhere doesn't it?

It does :wink: .

I think his joke was prompted by the fact that he'd invited his "hi flying" manager to HQ to boost his profile(NB. A real corporate climber). Unfortunately he was wearing a corporate polo shirt himself; didn't really cut the same image :wink: (He'd got his days wrong, the polo shirt was for the days he was on the "level" with his operational staff, his HQ dress was normally quite different :wink: )