Cameron

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
daveg

Cameron

Post by daveg »

Anyone spot that clip on BBC News of Darling Dave zooming around to the 'Commons on his bike today? There he was in his yellow dayglow jacket; helmet hanging from his handlebars with two minders in pursuit.

Can't have been that many Addison Lee drivers around I guess.

Not wishing to fuel the helmet debate, you either wear one or you don't, but what is the point of dangling it from the bars?
If it wasn't for cars, there wouldn't be the amount of tarmac that there is.
kwackers

Re: Cameron

Post by kwackers »

daveg wrote:Not wishing to fuel the helmet debate, you either wear one or you don't, but what is the point of dangling it from the bars?

It's more use since now you can put stuff in it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

You have to remember that we have a coalition government.

Some of the cabinet want the Prime Minister to wear a helmet, some of them don't.

So the coalition postion is to have it hanging from his handlebars in easy reach. That's politics.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An interesting contrast with the Dutch commentator quoted on the current Penning thread who mentions that a cyclist waiting at traffic lights might find a cabinet minister waiting alongside.

Their wouldn't be room for the entourage in the UK. Nearly as many following cars as the TdeF. :roll:
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

He has form

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... out-helmet

But I wonder if this is better in the helmet forum....
daveg

Post by daveg »

gaz wrote:You have to remember that we have a coalition government.

Some of the cabinet want the Prime Minister to wear a helmet, some of them don't.

So the coalition postion is to have it hanging from his handlebars in easy reach. That's politics.

Brilliant - laughed out loud at that!

Reminds me of the one story from Terry Wogan that made me laugh. Bloke and daughter in car driving to work. Dad wants Radio 4 on; duaghter wants Radio 1. They compromise and listen to Mr Wogan on Radio 2, that way no one's happy.
If it wasn't for cars, there wouldn't be the amount of tarmac that there is.
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

I saw this, not sure if there were 'minders' following - there was certainly a couple of people on bicycles.
I thought he was spot on. Exercising his right to choose, I'd guess knowing full well there would be critisism from those with nothing better to do.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think there's actually a fair bit of thought goes into this sort of posing.

Without caring very much, I'll guess he wears it when he's actually riding, if only because it would be too controversial not to do so. On the other hand, he doesn't want to look silly by being photographed wearing one when not riding - think of Wm Hague in that baseball cap. :lol:

Taking the helmet off and dangling it gives that "hit the ground running" air.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:............... think of Wm Hague in that baseball cap.................

Do we have to?
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

Fair play to him for being a positive role model .... it is easy to knock people like "Two Jags Prescott" & even though it may be a bit of showmanship (equally might not) it is good to see someone in his position on a bike. I know a few people with "senior" jobs who wouldn't be seen dead on a bike going to work
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

dewi1 wrote:Fair play to him for being a positive role model .... it is easy to knock people like "Two Jags Prescott" & even though it may be a bit of showmanship (equally might not) it is good to see someone in his position on a bike

You mean it was not just a cynical ploy to distance himself from the bloke who purchased time with him and then went on to tell his drivers to break the law.

How much is dinner at No10 now?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Edwards wrote:..................How much is dinner at No10 now?

More than any of us can afford.