Flying bike on telly- Bang Goes The Theory

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mrjemm

Flying bike on telly- Bang Goes The Theory

Post by mrjemm »

Just saw on breakfast telly a clip from Bang Goes the Theory about the attempt by Jem (good name!)thingywhotsit to build up a human powered flying machine, and I can't help thinking that the design is pretty poor. It surprises me they're using a sit up'n beg stance, where I'd think a 'bent stance would be better. Also, the seat/mechanism is suspended on a carbon frame, making the drivetrain go around a bend, and the frame flex. Would it not be better to have the wing raised from the main spar, so the chain/drive is all on the main support?

Whaddya thunk folk?

(another) Jem.

Edit... Wasn't sure if this should go in bikes'n bits, but not quite a bike, so put here.
tonythompson

Re: Flying bike on telly- Bang Goes The Theory

Post by tonythompson »

I think I'll stick to Virgin. 8)
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

gaz

Post by gaz »

Pah, back in the 70's people made human powered flights across the English Channel. Gossamer Albatross.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My memory is that for quite a long time there was a cash prize on offer to the first crew who could achieve human-powered flight. The rules stipulated a flight of at least 1000 metres over a figure-of-8 flight path. Once that had been achieved, there were a few flights over greater distances and in the absence of any further incentive, interest fizzled out.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The Kremer Prizes.

There are still some up for grabs.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I remember that (reference to Gossamer Albatros) Gaz. I think they're trying to do this in a more amateur way, and have referred to surprise at the fact it's not been done for so long. I like the idea though and don't see why they shouldn't do quite well. But still think the Dutch shopper stance is not the most efficient, even if it is less damaging to knees compared to 'bent style.

Thanks for that link Gaz. Didn't know of that.
gaz

Post by gaz »

And there's the Sikorsky Prize for human powered helicopter flight, which Mick F could have gone for if he hadn't sold his Chopper. :wink:
Si

Post by Si »

Didn't they have human powered flight on Scrap Heap challenge a while back? If I remember they were slightly hampered by having to build it from heavy old junk, by having to do it in a day and by at least one of them being powered by a non-cyclist, so the power wasn't necessarily in the vehicle itself, but nonetheless they had a good go at it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just seen the bang goes the theory plane on BBC South Today. It got off the ground and briefly flew but skewed off to the left. The wing touched the ground. It looks like it will go, but a few tweaks are needed.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Si wrote:Didn't they have human powered flight on Scrap Heap challenge a while back? If I remember they were slightly hampered by having to build it from heavy old junk, by having to do it in a day and by at least one of them being powered by a non-cyclist, so the power wasn't necessarily in the vehicle itself, but nonetheless they had a good go at it.

Holy moley. I'd be astounded if they got anywhere near flight! I guess this was before the new format (that I don't like nearly so much).

Makes me wonder if Bango's making a meal of it though. Thing is, their's does look very professional and well made, but the points I made earlier come over as uf they've gone into it with preconceived ideas about the design. Sadly I haven't seen the show properly- saw clips as I was trying to set up an indoor antenna in my cabin window in iffy weather. And the bit on breakfast telly, followed by Mal's link.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If I recall it correctly the scrapheap challenge version was a grand challenge (two previous winners) and was therefore a two day challenge - mind you 20 hours with no new materials is still mighty impressive....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I do enjoy scrapheap challenge sometimes, but my god, some are just not thought out- there was one recently (admittedly on Dutch discovery, so could be very out of date) where they had to build vehicles to go through a muddy forest (was it the landmine one?) and one team decided to use a propeller for propulsion, and not even a very big one.

The original Great Egg Race was much better!
gaz

Post by gaz »

gaz wrote:And there's the Sikorsky Prize for human powered helicopter flight,

Claimed in 2013, how did I miss that :shock: .
[youtube]syJq10EQkog[/youtube]
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

That's quite impressive but why four large rotors? Surely smaller, faster rotating rotors would reduce the size of the arms and thus the weight by quite a lot.

Need some technical background.